Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Is this Groundhog Day?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
On a side note can people stop doing that thing where if more than one person posts it then loads of people do? It's not funny, it just makes you seem like you should be in care.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Surely not again?

Red cards every other week, new injuries to Jimmy Mac each time he is ready to come back, coach crashes.......it's like Groundhog Season.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
On a side note can people stop doing that thing where if more than one person posts it then loads of people do? It's not funny, it just makes you seem like you should be in care.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
so does this go down as most SPECTACULAR FAIL thread ever then with only 511/1,000,000 Ive seen more replies on threads about embroidery!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Watford

First season up - 8 points from the last 11 games
Second season - 17th - lost last 6 games
Third season - 5 points from the last 9 games
Fourth season - 7 points from last 9 games

This is why the managers keep getting into trouble.

Watford's relative success in the PL is build largely on Troy Deeney's goals - and whoever he has had with him. Watford have always had two goalscorers (occasionally 3) - that they keep selling - Ighalo for £20m - then Richarlison for £40m. The chickens have now come home to roost - Deeney is older and injury prone and they can't score anymore.

Southampton have had managerial changes - Koeman left for Everton in 2016 - he had the likes of Mane, Van Dijk, Schnerderlin, Ward-Prowse, Tadic, Wanyama, Pelle, Clyne, Alderweireld, Shaw, Lallana, Lovern, Lambert, - and he had Southampton hitting 6/7 each season for 3 seasons. Southampton sold all their best players. Keoman's exit has seen a major slide since. Puel arrived - a very lucky 8th in 2017 - which got him the sack. Then Pellegrino in 2018 with Hughes replacing him in March and a 17th place. Last season - Hughes sacked in December when Southampton were 19th - ended 16th. And I have made the point before that the entire first team for Southampton last season were on higher wages than the highest paid player at Brighton. The lack of continuity has killed Southampton since Koeman left - if they stuck with Puel they possibly would not be in this situation now. They are hanging in by virtue of the money they are spending. Southampton spend roughly the same as Brighton this summer on transfers.

You point to Everton and West Ham - but these are both clubs with tradition in the top division - Everton were league champions twice in the 1980s and won the fa cup in the 1990s - they are a big team and this summer spent something like £100m on players. The reason they haven't done better is because they keep picking the wrong manager. West Ham are similar - making a lot of bad choices - yet they spent nearly £50million on one player this year and almost as much again on others.

Given the amount of money that Southampton, Everton and West Ham are spending - their precarious nature over the last few seasons actually supports my contention that changing managers and a lack of consistency pretty much makes a mess of sh*t - it doesn't demonstrate that they are doing okay.

Let's look at the longest serving managers -
Howe - Bournemouth - 7 years
Dyche - Burnley - 7 years
Klopp - Liverpool - 4 years
Guardiola - Man city - 3 years

Recent departures -
Pochettino - 5 years - and a couple of good years at Southampton before that

Apart from the massive oligarch money - the teams that have been most consistent (with the odd up and down) are the ones that have some consistency at manager. Realising that unless there is a couple of hundred million a year going to be spent - the target should be a consistent approach and trying to get the best value for expenditure. The Leicester title win was a one off (and that has helped the club financially that has succeeded in keeping the momentum going). Unrealistic expectations from owners (and fans) usually result in some form of crisis. Appoint the manager and let them build a solid squad with a consistent approach over a period of years.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Apart from the massive oligarch money - the teams that have been most consistent (with the odd up and down) are the ones that have some consistency at manager. Realising that unless there is a couple of hundred million a year going to be spent - the target should be a consistent approach and trying to get the best value for expenditure. The Leicester title win was a one off (and that has helped the club financially that has succeeded in keeping the momentum going). Unrealistic expectations from owners (and fans) usually result in some form of crisis. Appoint the manager and let them build a solid squad with a consistent approach over a period of years.

Could have started with Hughton

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
attachment.php

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
After 4 years on NSC I am personally starting to see the same old, same old regurgitating itself.

Have we come to a crossroads in original topic threads?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here