Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Members

Millwall fans cleared of Hillsborough taunts

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting this, taken from my local rag. Wonder whether Liverpool thugs are using Hillsborough as an excuse...

Lions Fans Are Cleared

A Millwall supporter's group has welcomed a police report which clears fans of inciting crowd violence with chants about the Hillsborough disaster.

Liverpool fans ripped up more than 70 seats and hurled them at police during the Merseyside club's 3-0 Carling Cup win at The Den last month.

Some Liverpool supporters said the trouble was caused by distasteful chanting from the Millwall section, but a Metropolitan Police report has rejected the claim.

In his report, acting Chief Superintendent Dean Higgins refers to terrace banter between rival fans, no worse than at other matches up and down the country.

No specific mention is made of the disaster at the Sheffield ground, where 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives in April 1989.

Supporters' group the Lions Trust has welcomed the report, claiming the Hillsborough connection was exaggerated by an anti-Millwall section of the media.

Trust chairman Bob Asprey said: "The way this was picked up by the national press was no more than we have come to expect. They need no encouragement to knock the club and its fans.

"I was at the game and didn't hear any songs about Hillsborough.

"There was not much evidence to suggest we were at fault. The Liverpool fans ripped up 70 seats but we didn't hear much about that.

"The police report confirms what I though in the aftermath of the trouble, the Liverpool fans had no justification for reacting in the way they did."

A police spokesman said a report had been produced for the FA, to clear up the allegations surrounding the match.

Millwall Football Club said it would not comment until the FA has carried out a full investigation into the trouble.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Seems like there is more than a little truth in what Boris Johnson wrote in the Spectator then.

Typically scouse looking to blame anything but the real issue.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Beach Hut
      Seems like there is more than a little truth in what Boris Johnson wrote in the Spectator then.

Exactly what I was thinking BH
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      It was alleged that the Millwall fans had been singing "There's only one Boris Johnson".

I have to say I salute their courage, strength and indefatiguability
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by The Clown of Pevensey Bay
      It was alleged that the Millwall fans had been singing "There's only one Boris Johnson".

I have to say I salute their courage, strength and indefatiguability
      Only one PETER WARD

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Beach Hut

Don't go there, Son.

Take note of the last sentence and follow suit.

"Millwall Football Club said that it would not comment until the FA has carried out a full investigation in to the trouble."
      Here's to the great times ahead for The Albion at the stadium North East Brighton.

0 Not allowed!
      Obviously most of us were not at the match but..

I'm just wondering if the Liverpool hoolies (and most teams have them) felt obliged to "put on a show" as they were on the telly?

They knew that other "Firms" would be watching!

They seemed to have a fair few at the den as they had fans in the lower section as well.

I don't know either way but the media reported the Millwall taunts the next day. Now they can't be substantiated!
      Last edited by Blackadder; 26-11-2004 at 00:15.
      "WINNERS FIND ANSWERS. PROMOTION CANDIDATES FIND THEIR SOLUTIONS. BRIGHTON HAVE FOUND THE ANSWER TONIGHT" Sky Sports commentator after Glen Murray scored 94th minute at Birmingham. 17.12.2016
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      The FA "carried out a full investigation" into Naziism among Brighton fans because they thought we were singing "Zieg Heil" instead of "Seagulls".

The Met Police's official investigation can't have been any less shit, can it?
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by The Clown of Pevensey Bay
      The FA "carried out a full investigation" into Naziism among Brighton fans because they thought we were singing "Zieg Heil" instead of "Seagulls".

The Met Police's official investigation can't have been any less shit, can it?

0 Not allowed!
      Yes I rememebr reading about tha infamous FA Investigation - lasted 8 months I believe.
      I surrender all control
      To the desire that consumes me whole
      Leads me by the hand to infinity
      Lies in wait at the heart of me - the Albion of course !