Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Any Other Old Gits Build Airfix Kits?

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Wow love this thread. Takes me back to early teenage years. A sunday afternoon at Forest Row Model Club. Glue all over my Sherman (oo..er missus), hands and jumper, cutting your fingers with a scapel and those bloody decals! At the time loved it and helped me through University making architectural models of my building designs. I quite fancy having another go after reading this. Its so geeky but cool at the same time

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
845D5CC6-BC7E-49E0-9850-E6DCE2F9DFAD.jpeg

886E2E4C-9BDA-43C0-BB2E-A6638EF2BA15.jpeg

C9E5A4CA-0F31-4D34-BFF6-367E955623BA.jpeg

CBCF98F9-029E-4818-9B51-04A7ED828E30.jpeg

Over the years

el punal

My winter hobby - apart from the Albion! I recently finished the Airfix Short Stirling Mk1 which my Dad flew in the war. Next on the agenda is 1:48 scale de Havilland Mosquito, I’ve got to get the correct paints for that model. All very therapeutic, if not a bit fiddly!

el punal

For those of us of a certain age Airfix kits were numerous and varied. Back in the 1960s the price of kits reflected the size of the model (all were 1:72 scale) - so for 2/- you could get a Spitfire/Hurricane/Me109 and similar single engine jobs. 3/6 would be twin engine aircraft - Me110 and the like. Going up the price to 7/6 for the big four engine bombers etc. - Lancaster/Flying Fortress/ Halifax and Sunderland flying boat as examples.

For you young ‘uns 2/- is 10p, 3/6 is 17p, and 7/6 is about 40p. To watch the Albion as a kid at the Goldstone would set you back 1/6 (about 8p)!

greengull

Sep 5, 2003
Wow love this thread. Takes me back to early teenage years. A sunday afternoon at Forest Row Model Club. Glue all over my Sherman (oo..er missus), hands and jumper, cutting your fingers with a scapel and those bloody decals! At the time loved it and helped me through University making architectural models of my building designs. I quite fancy having another go after reading this. Its so geeky but cool at the same time
I too recall Forest Row model club with my dad, and having lots of planes hanging from my bedroom ceiling on cotton, and a massive great B52.
Did a Tamiya Harrier last year and have bought myself an air brush which I have yet to get to grips with, winter nights coming soon...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not Airfixe, but I've built a few kit cars for slot cars racing ( scalectric based) in recent years. A TR3 for my lad, as he's inherited one, and this 1954 356 which is a replica of the one I raced. B7D14674-04B8-48C4-A197-13CCE663952E.jpeg6A7D77CA-C087-4372-9953-32F005515EF6.jpeg

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Built tonnes with my dad as a kid then used fishing reel to hang from the ceiling. From memory there was the POS Lanc that is on display at Hendon, a Mosquito, Spit, Hurricane, Dornier and my favourite a Junkers Ju88 (the one from Where Eagles Dare).

My grandad was hyper critical of the designs because he was a master carpenter and used to repair the real things in the war.

I’ve definitely got designs on them for later life activity but what with having two daughters unlikely to have a convenient excuse to practice with them! Can’t believe how expensive they are on a relative basis.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Love that B17 of yours, l can see the tail of it in that picture. You have shown it on here before l think?: a while ago now on another thread. I think you have weathered it if my memory serves?

Yep. This one. 0A5F50F6-19E8-4F88-8B6C-C2353D69EBED.jpeg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
mmm love your Porsche, is that your circuit you nave it racing on? . . . impressive if it is!

I bought a new scalextric set when my lad was about 4 . . . I'd kept a box of cars from year ago . . . We then got offered a few sets from peoples lofts, and bought some from boot fairs . . . Then started hoovering up cars on ebay and car boots etc.

We had so much track we put several sets together and donated them to people . . . We can run 4 lanes, but usually stick to 2 on a table tennis table with an extension board and fill it up.

Last count we had over 80 cars, plenty of minis, cortinas, GT40's and 911's, but some odd balls, DB4, TR4, Alpine A110, Lancia Fulvia, SUnbeam Tiger, TR3, Starsky & Hutch, DUkes of Hazard, Ford Galaxy . . .

Edit, we also have caravans for pikey racing. :lolol:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here