Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Things about the South you have only just discovered

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I regard Leeds as being very firmly down south :smile:

Also, I would observe that nobody north of about Nottingham ever seems to have any sense of anywhere down south being separate to anybody else, so Kent may as well be next to Dorset for all the difference it makes. In much the same way as southerners seem to think Carlisle is a suburb of Newcastle.

Only ever ask midlanders for directions.

True that, my optician thought Brighton was near Newquay.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
True that, my optician thought Brighton was near Newquay.

During the Withdean years i was chatting with some fans from a northern club who were complaining about the long trip. Pointed out the reverse fixtures were same for us and I think at the time the closest away trip was something like Orient. They asked where our next few away trips were and when Pymouth came up one of them said at least thats a local southern derby. Had to explain that Plymouth is about as far from Brighton as South Yorkshire

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
During the Withdean years i was chatting with some fans from a northern club who were complaining about the long trip. Pointed out the reverse fixtures were same for us and I think at the time the closest away trip was something like Orient. They asked where our next few away trips were and when Pymouth came up one of them said at least thats a local southern derby. Had to explain that Plymouth is about as far from Brighton as South Yorkshire

But with considerably worse roads!

My in-laws are down that way and it's so much better a journey than it used to be from Sussex.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
I love the word twitten. Was always fascinated when I was young going past Glebe Twitten in Cuckfield and thinking that must be one of the most exotic sounding streets in the country

Now that is a throwback for me! I used to walk through Glebe Twitten to get to the high street when I was a kid.

It's not as good as Mytten Twitten, on the other side of the road...!

And then straight through Mytten Twitten! This had been bugging me for years!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m not sure if it’s the circumstances in which I’ve been to Plymouth or that it’s always been wind battered and pouring with rain but I have always found Plymouth to be a largely depressing town. The quay was quite nice I suppose but that area with the strange shopping centre, Ibis hotel and knackered old cafes? Shithole.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I suppose the “Big Mo” fact is that Banoffi Pie was invented in a pub in Jevington.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some other facts

Brighton Marina is the biggest marina in Europe.

The heaviest fig ever grown was grown in Worthing.

And some Dorset facts. I was brought up there.

There are only 5 counties in England that don’t have a motorway, and Dorset is included in that list.

She sells sea-shells on the sea-shore.
The shells she sells are sea-shells, I’m sure.
For if she sells sea-shells on the sea-shore
Then I’m sure she sells seashore shells.”
-penned in Lyme Regis

The Celtic translation for “Dorseteschire” apparently means “the place of fisticuffs”.

Scouting started on Brownsea island in Dorset .

T.E. Lawrence died in a motorbike accident near Weymouth .

It is believed the bubonic plague landed on Britain at Weymouth bay.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Dusty Springfield has her name on a bus, because her Mum lived in Hove

- courtesy of Terry Garoghan.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I suppose the “Big Mo” fact is that Banoffi Pie was invented in a pub in Jevington.

A pub ?

It was the Hungry Monk restaurant. I went a couple of times before it shut down about 15 years ago :down:

Still got a couple of their cookbooks which were given to us by the illustrator who happened to marry me and Mrs Wz (with additional illustrations drawn in by him, and he was a vicar not a monk :wink:)

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
There are no Sails on Sussex windmills, only Sweeps.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Whilst this is nothing to do with this thread, thought you would like this painting (if you've not seen it before of course) from 1848 that I saw in the National Railway museum in York:

london road viaduct.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here