Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Looking for electricians, carpenters, builders and plumbers

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
We are currently in the process of doing a “self build” - all planning approval, building regs, arboreal surveys etc have been completed.

The new house will be built using factory manufactured SIPS, (structural insulated panels). We have had awful problems trying to find the appropriate trades needed to complete this. Thankfully we have at last been able to contract for the demolition of the existing house together with the groundworks and sewage treatment to be completed. We have also contracted for scaffolding and with a UK company, (Kingspan), for the SIP construction, including roofing and glazing to give a “weather tight” finish.

We now need to find electricians, carpenters, builders and plumbers. Again we are coming up against a brick wall finding people in these trades who will be available in the second half of January and able/willing to quote for the necessary work.

We can provide the full architectural drawings detailing the base work to be carried out although there is likely to be extra work, (at extra cost), needed. To give an idea of size the house will be a five bedroom two storey house with approximately 220 square meters of living space.

Electricians - first and second fix
Carpenters - Doors, stairs, bespoke kitchen, storage etc.
Builders - cladding, floor screeds, internal walls, plastering etc.
Plumbers - first and second fix - air source heating, underfloor heating, 3 bathrooms, 2 cloakrooms, kitchen, utility room and plant room.

We will also need garden landscapers and builders to complete the exterior once the building work has been completed - however we are not able to commit to any of this at the moment until we see how much money is left once construction is complete. However if anyone would like us to contact them later next year then please PM me.

If anyone can provide any of the works, are available late January onwards and would like to quote for the above work then please contact me by PM and I will forward all the necessary drawings together with contact details. Any recommendations would also be gratefully received.

Not having been previously involved with house building, or building in general, I have been unexpectedly surprised at how difficult it has been to find trades people, and if/when they are found ones who actually keep appointments and/or “promises” so thanks go to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for letting me post this request.

Brighthelmstone

Nov 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Sadly we found when we wanted to get an extension that any trades people with any kind of recommendations are booked up a year ahead, although hopefully (for you) the economic downturn will have shortened those waits as people can't afford for work to be done. Best of luck with the build, will be great to see some pictures on here as it progresses :)

For plumbing i can recommend GasSpec out Hove/Shoreham way, local firm but they might do your area.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We are currently in the process of doing a “self build” - all planning approval, building regs, arboreal surveys etc have been completed.

The new house will be built using factory manufactured SIPS, (structural insulated panels). We have had awful problems trying to find the appropriate trades needed to complete this. Thankfully we have at last been able to contract for the demolition of the existing house together with the groundworks and sewage treatment to be completed. We have also contracted for scaffolding and with a UK company, (Kingspan), for the SIP construction, including roofing and glazing to give a “weather tight” finish.

We now need to find electricians, carpenters, builders and plumbers. Again we are coming up against a brick wall finding people in these trades who will be available in the second half of January and able/willing to quote for the necessary work.

We can provide the full architectural drawings detailing the base work to be carried out although there is likely to be extra work, (at extra cost), needed. To give an idea of size the house will be a five bedroom two storey house with approximately 220 square meters of living space.

Electricians - first and second fix
Carpenters - Doors, stairs, bespoke kitchen, storage etc.
Builders - cladding, floor screeds, internal walls, plastering etc.
Plumbers - first and second fix - air source heating, underfloor heating, 3 bathrooms, 2 cloakrooms, kitchen, utility room and plant room.

We will also need garden landscapers and builders to complete the exterior once the building work has been completed - however we are not able to commit to any of this at the moment until we see how much money is left once construction is complete. However if anyone would like us to contact them later next year then please PM me.

If anyone can provide any of the works, are available late January onwards and would like to quote for the above work then please contact me by PM and I will forward all the necessary drawings together with contact details. Any recommendations would also be gratefully received.

Not having been previously involved with house building, or building in general, I have been unexpectedly surprised at how difficult it has been to find trades people, and if/when they are found ones who actually keep appointments and/or “promises” so thanks go to [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] for letting me post this request.

Good luck with your project.

All I can recommend is, check and check again reviews, even ask to see previous works and if possible contact previous customers.
Anyone worth their salt even in this economic climate will be booked up, there is a lack of skills, and now we are seeing on sites, certain materials, the building industry is suffering from the after affects of Brexit and a distinct lack of investment in apprenticeships and encouragement by governments to promote various aspects of the industry as viable employment options for school leavers, all governments have just believed in a never ending supply of skills from Europe, much like the Health service.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Will drop you a PM. Can potentially help with the bespoke kitchen side of things.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here