Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would Bloom ever sell the club?

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
While posting another thread it made me think, do we think Bloom would ever sell the club before a "usual" retirement age and if he did, who to?

He's 52 now, so say he had another 10 years in him at the absolute top of the club? Would he want to keep it local and/or British? Or would he do like more and more of the clubs in the Premier League, and sell it to overseas buyers. From minimal research, so please correct me, but only 6 clubs in the top flight are "British" owned.

- Us
- The ever popular Gold and Sullivan at West Ham
- Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy at Spurs
- Bloom's "rival" Matthew Benham at Brentford
- Russian-born British businessman Maxim Demin at Bournemouth
- British-Iranian businessman Farhad Moshiri at Everton

I am proud we haven't been sold overseas yet have still managed to have a very successful trajectory over the last 15 years and hope Bloom would somehow continue that once he leaves. Finding a fan to buy the club may be difficult now, given the stature of the club since Bloom took over.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
While posting another thread it made me think, do we think Bloom would ever sell the club before a "usual" retirement age and if he did, who to?

He's 52 now, so say he had another 10 years in him at the absolute top of the club? Would he want to keep it local and/or British? Or would he do like more and more of the clubs in the Premier League, and sell it to overseas buyers. From minimal research, so please correct me, but only 6 clubs in the top flight are "British" owned.

- Us
- The ever popular Gold and Sullivan at West Ham
- Joe Lewis and Daniel Levy at Spurs
- Bloom's "rival" Matthew Benham at Brentford
- Russian-born British businessman Maxim Demin at Bournemouth
- British-Iranian businessman Farhad Moshiri at Everton

I am proud we haven't been sold overseas yet have still managed to have a very successful trajectory over the last 15 years and hope Bloom would somehow continue that once he leaves. Finding a fan to buy the club may be difficult now, given the stature of the club since Bloom took over.

hasnt he already said he is planning on passing it on to his son?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
He stated the next Chairman will be his son

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I see TB trying to enhance the value of his crown jewel, it’s only going to increase with US media giants bidding for EPL TV rights.

With Benham, they’ve worked out an intelligent way to stay at the top table, without wasting the obscene funds blown by Villa and Everton.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I remember at the time of TB stepping up, someone close being pleased 'the club was back in the family'.

I don't believe there are plans to give it up again :thumbsup:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Didn't realise it was half term......................managers/players move on for the ££££............who knows ?

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It's possible his son may not want to do it though. He's young now and may have other plans when he grows up.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If Tony wanted a little project in his retirement then maybe an ice rink and a return of the Brighton Tigers ice hockey team to the city would be a brilliant thing and achievable with - by his standards - pocket money.

Indeed, I think he has created a brand of club that it would be great to see rolled out in another sport. A Brighton and Hove Albion women's Netball team would be brilliant too. Continental football clubs have had success with basketball, while Saracens here have a very successful netball side.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think he will - but then again, what do I know. I'll think about it if and when it ever occurs - and I certainly won't start worrying about it now.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
If Tony wanted a little project in his retirement then maybe an ice rink and a return of the Brighton Tigers ice hockey team to the city would be a brilliant thing and achievable with - by his standards - pocket money.

Indeed, I think he has created a brand of club that it would be great to see rolled out in another sport. A Brighton and Hove Albion women's Netball team would be brilliant too. Continental football clubs have had success with basketball, while Saracens here have a very successful netball side.

My dad always told me how they were the best team in the world at one point - they even beat the USSR.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My dad always told me how they were the best team in the world at one point - they even beat the USSR.

I was chatting to a couple of old boys at the Guildford Flames match on Sunday and both of them went to see The Tigers in West Street in the late 50s / early 60s. They were saying how the crowd used to sing 'Sussex By The Sea' before every match.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Still never take it for granted what a privilege it is to have a fan owner in Tony Bloom, a rare thing in top flight football

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
To answer the OP then I think TB will do whatever is in the best interests of the club. If Elon Musk came along and offered to invest £1b and guarantee it for 20 years then TB would likely sell.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
To answer the OP then I think TB will do whatever is in the best interests of the club. If Elon Musk came along and offered to invest £1b and guarantee it for 20 years then TB would likely sell.

Doubt TB would do any business with absolute tools like Elon Musk.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Given his families long history with the club I think he views it as something like a
family heirloom/legacy of a sort which you pass down to the next generation.

Irrespective of the value of it to keep it in the family so you know it will be cared for and cherished.

This kind of thing exists in some US Sports teams with children taking over a parents long legacy with a team.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Whilst I'm sure to get pelters for this, the only chance we've got of staying in this division long term, and challenging for anything, is if he does sell up.

This model of buying unknown players for relatively low fees, and selling them on for a profit, needs a lot of luck. Once Caicedo, and possibly MacAllister have been sold, we will be back to square one. Particularly, as GP took our best talent spotter with him.

Yes, TB has recouped a lot of his money, but that's not put back into established players.

It's a lovely dream to have a local man as chairman, but gradually sides are being bought up by owners who have significantly more money than Bloom, and are prepared to spend it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here