Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Rankings.jpeg

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I think our team is better than Liverpool’s at the moment.

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
"Soccer" is an odd survival. The word 'footer' is roughly contemporaneous in origin, and identical in meaning. Only luck kept that one relatively obscure. Probably would be lost to time except from an immortal passage in Wodehouse

The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you’re someone. You hear them shouting ‘Heil, Spode!’ and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: ‘Look at that frightful ass Spode s******* about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?’”

Apparently one cannot say 'sw@nking about' in these parts....

Is a "swanker" a wanker with money?

South Oz Seagull

Jan 2, 2022
Norwood SA
As do the vast majority of words used in the USA but language moves on and the game is described pretty much worldwide as football.

It would therefore to me appear a bit odd to describe a global ranking index as "soccer".
OK...getting a bit nerdy here but anyway.....the debate around use of the term "football" or "footy" or (choke gag) "footie" is an interesting one. Gridiron in the US and Australian Rules "Football" and Rugby League in Australia call themselves football, but they all largely use their hands. Use of the hands in real football (soccer) except by goalkeepers is of course illegal although around 10% of the time players will try to control the ball using their heads.

I'm not sure whether Rugby League which originated in England calls itself football in England or not? Probably not given that "soccer" quite rightly uses the football term?
In their early days the American and Australian sports displayed a distinct lack of imagination by hijacking the term "football". In an ideal world these sports should have been called something else.

It actually became an issue here in Australia a decade or two ago when there was a public and media drive by what had been universally called "soccer", to take control of the term "football" to get in step with the rest of the planet. It partly succeeded. My friends and relatives all dig their heels in though and call their sports football, but in the media these days the term football is used a bit more than soccer.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
OK...getting a bit nerdy here but anyway.....the debate around use of the term "football" or "footy" or (choke gag) "footie" is an interesting one. Gridiron in the US and Australian Rules "Football" and Rugby League in Australia call themselves football, but they all largely use their hands. Use of the hands in real football (soccer) except by goalkeepers is of course illegal although around 10% of the time players will try to control the ball using their heads.

I'm not sure whether Rugby League which originated in England calls itself football in England or not? Probably not given that "soccer" quite rightly uses the football term?
In their early days the American and Australian sports displayed a distinct lack of imagination by hijacking the term "football". In an ideal world these sports should have been called something else.

It actually became an issue here in Australia a decade or two ago when there was a public and media drive by what had been universally called "soccer", to take control of the term "football" to get in step with the rest of the planet. It partly succeeded. My friends and relatives all dig their heels in though and call their sports football, but in the media these days the term football is used a bit more than soccer.
I always assumed that Soccer came from the term Association Football just as Rugger came from Rugby Football, no? If you call Rugby football then you can see why Gridiron and Aussie rules, Gaelic etc call themselves football. Maybe.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think our team is better than Liverpool’s at the moment.
Yeah. I think it's probably just a case of the model having quite a long tail when it comes to taking previous results into account and being a bit conservative when it comes to weighting more recent results and performances. Our SPIs would have been miles apart at the start of the season. I expect they'll cross over in the coming weeks.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Interestingly, only 17 Premier League teams are listed, and they include Leicester, Leeds and Southampton. I'm not sure they're updating it quite as often as they should!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How are Palace 36th? That’s some achievement given they are ahead of West Ham, Milan and Spuds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here