Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Remote working: anyone know of any opportunities/possibilities?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My girlfriend is at the end of her tether with her current job and is looking for a change.

One avenue she's exploring is finding work with a UK company which allows fully remote working. It would have to be 100% work from home as we live in Spain.

She has a first class honours in History and ten years experience in education. Having worked as a teacher, she's a great communicator, adaptable and highly organised.

She's open to different options but doesn't really know what opportunities exist or where to start looking. I've suggested she sends a cover letter to recruitment agencies to see what they can do.

Does the NSC hive mind have any suggestions?

Ps. Before any jokes, I've already mooted the possibility of Only Fans but got shot down.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
My girlfriend is at the end of her tether with her current job and is looking for a change.

One avenue she's exploring is finding work with a UK company which allows fully remote working. It would have to be 100% work from home as we live in Spain.

She has a first class honours in History and ten years experience in education. Having worked as a teacher, she's a great communicator, adaptable and highly organised.

She's open to different options but doesn't really know what opportunities exist or where to start looking. I've suggested she sends a cover letter to recruitment agencies to see what they can do.

Ps. Before any jokes, I've already mooted the possibility of Only Fans but got shot down.

Guess it really what vertical she wants to work in as to where the best place to look but I reckon LinkedIn is a good starting point.

Plenty of companies are offering fully remote roles these days. LinkedIn has it an option on their location search.

My company is now fully remote but if she is at the end of her tether with her current role then it would be a case out of the fire into the frying pan.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Freelance sites are good (some are better than others) for remote work. I make a living from it, 90% of my income comes from Upwork.com.

Cheggers

Jul 28, 2011
Bang! And the dirt is gone.
Some local authorities, due to restructuring etc. often have vacancies. Those jobs are often fully remote working as well. There are likely transferable skills from the admin side of education if, for example, taking a role in a performance or strategy team. They may not be well paid though. You can follow(?) LAs and recruitment agencies in LinkedIn that can flag up any relevant upcoming positions.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
If she fancies a sector change, doing something to change the world for the better... she could do a lot worse than look here:

https://www.environmentjob.co.uk/jobs

Lots of remote working opps, although being based in Spain might be a slight restriction.

Hope she finds something good :)

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
As someone else mentioned, contact recruiters!

If you DM me I can send you some contact details of Spanish based recruiters that I’ve used for years

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yes, contact recruiters. There are loads of remote jobs in the software development sector.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Lots of Universities, including mine, run Distance Learning Courses which (even before COVID) meant we hardly went onto Campus & had face to face meetings.

Have had literally dozens of Students go through the BSc and MSc courses over the last few years and have only ever communicated with most of them by email.

Although its a London University I have worked out I could do my courses from anywhere in the world so Spain shouldn't be an issue?

If she has been in education she will stand a better chance than me, I only got my (hourly paid) job as they needed someone with my professional membership to keep the Course accredited!

Retiring at the end of next year but will keep the University work - its not badly paid and it feeds back to the students some of my work experience since 1986.

One lesson I should have learned myself is if a Client wants you on Site at 07.00 (which happened this morning) you should tell them the Plant will still be running a couple of hours later... :lolol:

One lesson I should have learned myself is if a Client wants you on Site at 07.00 (which happened this morning) you should tell them the Plant will still be running a couple of hours later... :lolol:
Seriously, like you really DONT want to be saying that before you have already got the job.
However, As a previous salaried person myself I had come into conflict when my team leader changed and suddenly decided that I was being unreasonable having the daily scrum meeting at 10am instead of 9, which had been agreed by my previous boss due to transport issues and me caring for my mother. But no, she was my boss now and she expected , neigh demanded I change. This was the beginning of the end of working over 30 years for the same company and when COVID hit us like many I reassessed my work life balance and volunteered to be made redundant when they started making cutbacks.
I too now need to look for work after 18 months caring for my mum but it will have to be someone who allows 100% remote. If they want to put tools in place so they can ensure I am actually working I will be happy with that as I know I work damn hard. Anyway sorry for rambling in, best of luck

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
There are jobs out there but a potential trip hazard that’s happened to colleagues of mine (required them to come back to the office ) is the tax issue of working in different countries - worth checking out before you go down this route. My company has a great flexible working policy - work where you want when you want (do hours to suit you) as long as our clients agree and it doesn’t impact on security (govt work) and their is no extra tax liability to the company

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
There are jobs out there but a potential trip hazard that’s happened to colleagues of mine (required them to come back to the office ) is the tax issue of working in different countries - worth checking out before you go down this route. My company has a great flexible working policy - work where you want when you want (do hours to suit you) as long as our clients agree and it doesn’t impact on security (govt work) and their is no extra tax liability to the company

M.jpg

"I have to warn you Bond, this assignment will have significant tax implications...

Hello?

007?

Are you still there?

Damn you James. Moneypenny, get me Doonhamer7 on line 2, pronto."

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why just a U.K. company?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

The UK and Spain have a dual taxation policy so that's not an issue. One downside is she'd have to register as self employed and pay the fees that entails in Spain (cheaper in the first year or so but then ~300 euros a month minimum).

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021

Teaching English as foreign language

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018

Son of a mate of mine works for this company which is all about flexible/remote working.

https://www.omnipresent.com/careers

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The UK and Spain have a dual taxation policy so that's not an issue. One downside is she'd have to register as self employed and pay the fees that entails in Spain (cheaper in the first year or so but then ~300 euros a month minimum).

What’s the 300 euros for?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here