Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Boiler + kitchen sink and tap replacement quote

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
My mother has just received a quote for the details shown in picture below.

She is keen to go ahead, but I know nothing of what value this offers personally, although to me it seems good. what are your thoughts please NSC?

70604D27-B879-4BF1-A268-E53C44AF163A.jpeg

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I should add the company is a local independent company and we are keen to use local business.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Where’s local?

Reminds me of a Tommy Cooper joke:

So I rang up my local swimming baths.
I said "Is that the local swimming baths?"
He said "It depends where you're calling from."

Depending on its kWh, the 8000 can be a powerful boiler, is it a very large house? I’d suggest getting an alternative quote including boiler sizing.

If the Brighton area, I use an excellent firm of heating engineers, their bills always far lower than expected.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Where’s local?

Depending on its kWh, the 8000 can be a powerful boiler, is it a very large house? I’d suggest getting an alternative quote including boiler sizing.

If the Brighton area, I use an excellent firm of heating engineers, their bills always far lower than expected.

Out of respect to the company (likelihood they use NSC for one thing!) she is in East Sussex. Mum is a pensioner and hardly rich and I just wanted to make sure the price was fair and there or thereabouts. I’m not talking squabbling over a few hundred quid, but if we are talking £500-£600 difference that will keep the heat on a month, if you get me.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Expensive for a five minute job :) [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION] will know if it’s a good price or not he one of those lower skilled tradesman :lolol:

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Out of respect to the company (likelihood they use NSC for one thing!) she is in East Sussex. Mum is a pensioner and hardly rich and I just wanted to make sure the price was fair and there or thereabouts. I’m not talking squabbling over a few hundred quid, but if we are talking £500-£600 difference that will keep the heat on a month, if you get me.

Could you narrow that down a bit.

I know an excellent heating engineer in Eastbourne, but he won’t now travel to anywhere in the Brighton area.

Alternatively the firm I mentioned cover the entire Brighton locality.

If it’s a small house, the saving from that price could be substantial. It’s dependent on other information eg are they replacing a combi or another system?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Expensive for a five minute job :) [MENTION=28056]bn9 bha[/MENTION] will know if it’s a good price or not he one of those lower skilled tradesman :lolol:

:lolol: It’s only Monday and I’ve already had enough.

I don’t fit boilers anymore so I wasn’t going to comment, but I don’t like the sound of the taps mentioned, anyone that wants kitchen taps with a pull out spout usually gets charged double or told I’m busy for a month. I wouldn’t have that type of tap anywhere near my kitchen.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I should add the company is a local independent company and we are keen to use local business.

[MENTION=21158]Weststander[/MENTION] has given excellent advice by suggesting getting an alternative quote.
Personally this is what I would do because nobody reading this thread can really give 100% accurate advice without seeing the property or knowing where it is.

I can recommend someone from Peacehaven if it helps, let me know.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
If she is going for a complete boiler replacement - might be worth looking at what green solutions are out there right now, as in a few years time it will become a necessity to have it.

Air source heat pumps are a good shout ** but only if you have some form of solar/ energy creation***.

There are grants available for this and also probably extra discounts due to age etc.

That quote does look decent though.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Pavilion plumbing does all my boiler work, Brighton based

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If she is going for a complete boiler replacement - might be worth looking at what green solutions are out there right now, as in a few years time it will become a necessity to have it.

Air source heat pumps are a good shout ** but only if you have some form of solar/ energy creation***.

There are grants available for this and also probably extra discounts due to age etc.

That quote does look decent though.

But even with the grants available, installing one will still cost between £7000 and £10,000 - so not a great idea for a pensioner wondering if they can afford three grand.

https://www.evergreenenergy.co.uk/heat-pumps/much-heat-pump-cost/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Where’s local?

Which reminds me of

Customer: can I have a return ticket please.
Bus driver: where to?
Customer: back here.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I’m in Seaford, guys. Please feel free to DM me if you’re interested in assessing to give a quote.

Two bedroom flat, first floor.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

I know an excellent heating engineer in Eastbourne, but he won’t now travel to anywhere in the Brighton area.

If it’s a small house, the saving from that price could be substantial. It’s dependent on other information eg are they replacing a combi or another system?

It’s a Vaillant combi, 20 years old.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Also, I hope I am not seen as being hostile or rude for asking for advice or opinions. I have done so for years on here without issue. I am just looking after my Mum.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I had one of those. Highly rated at the time, but we got unlucky with a fault every ££££ 18 months.

Sorry, I meant could you narrow down to which part of East Sussex, a tad.

Then I'll pm you details of a heating engineer, if they cover that neck of the woods.

Seaford, mate.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Also, I hope I am not seen as being hostile or rude for asking for advice or opinions. I have done so for years on here without issue. I am just looking after my Mum.

That's one of the good things about social media.

I had a normal boiler fitted (not combi) Valiant EcoPure 30kw boiler fitted for £2k+vat a couple of months ago, with all the gubbins mentioned. Not sure if that helps.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Is that engineer a Scouser by any chance? Our engineer is and a Liverpool fan to boot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here