Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's the opposition, not us

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
.... point out that it won't be long before they're playing for 'a bigger club'.

There are precisely six Real Football Clubs™ in England, Brighton are not one of them, and don't you forget it. The rest of the 92 are just 86 NPC (non-playing characters), there to dress the set.

kentgully

Jan 10, 2016
Worthing
Following endless reports of how badly the opposition seem to play against us, thus allowing us to win/draw against allcomers, I've pre-written the script for MOTD for this season.
v Spurs. No disrespect to Brighton but you could see the Spurs team were very tired after two huge games against Arsenal and Frankfurt away.
v Brentford (played Friday). Quick look at last nights game, yep and see you next week.
v Forest. No disrespect to Brighton but the Forest team has yet to gel.
v Man City. No disrespect to Brighton but United also scored 3.
v Chelsea. No disrespect to Brighton but Potter hasn't got his team playing as they should and, let's be honest, that was his Brighton team.
v Wolves. No disrespect to Brighton but Wolves are still looking for a full time manager and were in disarray.
v Aston Villa. No disrespect to Brighton but the Villa team all had their world cup tickets in their hands and didn't want to get injured.
v Saints. No disrespect to Brighton but Southampton hadn't played as a team for 6 weeks due to the world cup.
I could go on......

Yes I'm bored.

Hope you're right ...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Exactly this.

For a fair old time we've been media darlings of sorts, and we receive far more media coverage and far more POSITIVE media coverage than most other #TeamsLikeBrighton.

However, in related news, I love how many Palace fans seem to think that we predominantly catch sides when they are off-form and not performing, allowing us to fluke our way to victory. I do wonder when the penny will finally drop with them, and they come to terms that lots of side are "off form" when they face us, and it's not just a bizarre coincidence.

It’s something like the maxim attributed to a number of golfers and others, including Lee Trevino and Tony Jacklin: “ it seems the more I practice, the luckier I get.”

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Following endless reports of how badly the opposition seem to play against us, thus allowing us to win/draw against allcomers, I've pre-written the script for MOTD for this season.
v Spurs. No disrespect to Brighton but you could see the Spurs team were very tired after two huge games against Arsenal and Frankfurt away.
v Brentford (played Friday). Quick look at last nights game, yep and see you next week.
v Forest. No disrespect to Brighton but the Forest team has yet to gel.
v Man City. No disrespect to Brighton but United also scored 3.
v Chelsea. No disrespect to Brighton but Potter hasn't got his team playing as they should and, let's be honest, that was his Brighton team.
v Wolves. No disrespect to Brighton but Wolves are still looking for a full time manager and were in disarray.
v Aston Villa. No disrespect to Brighton but the Villa team all had their world cup tickets in their hands and didn't want to get injured.
v Saints. No disrespect to Brighton but Southampton hadn't played as a team for 6 weeks due to the world cup.
I could go on......

Yes I'm bored.

Thank you for this. You have expressed my feelings much better than I could....

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I honestly don't get people's gripes. Everything I've read and seen for months and months has been super positive about us.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

Agreed. I think part of it is simply because the big teams get a focus when we beat / take points off them, but I totally understand that they get most of the focus then given (a) that's likely a bigger story in the "narrative" of the season and (b) ultimately more people care about them than us. If we were being treated similarly when playing against teams outside the big 6 then I could totally understand it, but we aren't so I don't.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Can you give an example of this for a Brighton game this season ? And the specific pundits who you argue aren’t being fair to the Albion.

The Commentators for the game for starters, sure they where saying we deserved at least a point but they were book ending that with how flat Liverpool were, also worryingly they kept going on about how long we would be able to keep hold of some of our players. Then we have Dion Dublin and Leon Osman on optus sport, Sure discussing what a great job GP has done and how good it must be for RZB to be walking into a side like ours, the next topic was "so what is going on at Liverpool whats gone wrong. Again my point is we are given credit for playing well but the main blame for our win is that the other side were not performing properly. You dont hear "what a fantastic match, both teams played their hearts out but Brighton were just to good" Admittedly the narrative is changing and many of the pundits are starting to see what was blindingly obvious to us, but the "x side were not themselves today" continues. Bizarrely I am waiting for a Brighton loss where they say so and so were good but really Brighton were not themselves and did not play their usual game and gave it away.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Commentators for the game for starters, sure they where saying we deserved at least a point but they were book ending that with how flat Liverpool were, also worryingly they kept going on about how long we would be able to keep hold of some of our players. Then we have Dion Dublin and Leon Osman on optus sport, Sure discussing what a great job GP has done and how good it must be for RZB to be walking into a side like ours, the next topic was "so what is going on at Liverpool whats gone wrong. Again my point is we are given credit for playing well but the main blame for our win is that the other side were not performing properly. You dont hear "what a fantastic match, both teams played their hearts out but Brighton were just to good" Admittedly the narrative is changing and many of the pundits are starting to see what was blindingly obvious to us, but the "x side were not themselves today" continues. Bizarrely I am waiting for a Brighton loss where they say so and so were good but really Brighton were not themselves and did not play their usual game and gave it away.

Which is exactly what was said away to Fulham. Liverpool have been top of the league for 3 or 4 years as well as winning it - how on earth would anyone commentate on a Liverpool game right now without commentating on what has gone wrong this season? Last season they only dropped points in 10 games out of 38, this season they've dropped points in 5 out of 7 already.

Brighton weren't too good, we were 3-2 down with a few minutes to go after being 2 nil up. Be a bit weird to be saying "Brighton were just too good" - when actually they weren't.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Just to detract a bit more from the "People don't give credit us enough" mindset... Here's a nice piece of praise in the Guardian's 10 things to look out for this weekend bit about the Brighton v Spurs match (and yes, they do mention Spurs, sorry):

"Train strikes will make it difficult for Tottenham fans to make this battle between third and fourth. After their last two performances, a no-show in the north London derby and Tuesday’s stalemate at Eintracht Frankfurt, some supporters will be happy to half-watch on TV. They would be missing the chance to see Brighton, whose attacking performance in drawing 3-3 last week at Anfield was thrilling. Leandro Trossard’s hat-trick reinforced his status as one of the players of the season so far, and threw up the ironic aside that Potter had been holding his old team back all along. Perhaps Roberto De Zerbi can prove that not all Italian coaches are as conservative as Antonio Conte has been this season – though in Serie A, De Zerbi’s Sassuolo took only one point from Conte’s Inter in three encounters, another 3-3 draw in June 2020."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here