Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's the opposition, not us

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Alan Sheerer MOTD 1 October.
"Before I say anything I have to say how good Brighton were, they were magnificent and deserved at least a point, hmmmm..... BUT Liverpool" and here were the 'no disrespect to Brighton' excuses about how bad Liverpool were.
No Alan, we were magnificent, just leave it there.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Read my Dads’ Daily Telegraph today match report was clearly written by a Liverpool fan ranting how bad they were, one mention of our manager, zero praise and disrespectful

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Read my Dads’ Daily Telegraph today match report was clearly written by a Liverpool fan ranting how bad they were, one mention of our manager, zero praise and disrespectful

Chris Bascombe is employed by the Torygraph to cover Liverpool and Everton so that’s pretty well what he does. Ditto David Maddock of the Mirror group.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I don't know whether I'm just watching different programmes or podcasts, but I think that this season we ARE getting credit.

Shearer for example spend his whole analysis saying both Liverpool are awful, but Brighton were fantastic, both of which were true. I think he used the word "fantastic" about 8 times when describing us
Yes, but no-one is joining the dots that since end of March/April time, apart from Man City and erm Fulham, every team have been awful against us.

Perhaps it's time for the pundits to say Liverpool were awful BECAUSE Brighton were fantastic and not treat the two things as mutually exclusive

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think when Brentford beat us next season and we don’t look like getting into Europe again it’ll be the same…..

We do need thicker skins though we really do….. We’re not one of the big boys but we are that boy in the Premier League playground who it’s best not to f.uck with.

Do you know I’m so proud of our club from top to bottom.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I don't know whether I'm just watching different programmes or podcasts, but I think that this season we ARE getting credit.

Shearer for example spend his whole analysis saying both Liverpool are awful, but Brighton were fantastic, both of which were true. I think he used the word "fantastic" about 8 times when describing us

Is the right answer. We've got heaps of praise on TV and radio last few seasons. We have some very precious fans

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I disagree to an extent. I'm sure neither of us can be bothered (and it really doesn't matter anyway) but I'd be willing to bet that virtually every summary of each game on MOTD and in the general neutral media may well have started with an acknowledgment of how well we have played but the narrative quickly shifts to how poor the opposition was and what they did wrong. Certainly on Saturday Shearer quickly analysed how Liverpool were too slow and lethargic, much the same analysis as Spurs, Arsenal and Man U received last season and surely no one can forget all the headlines when we beat Man U on the first day of the season. I completely agree that we are getting a lot of praise though.

(Deleted)

Last edited:

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Thing that got my goat 'tlittle at weekend was the constant reference to the fact that Liverpool hadn't played in 28 days as if that was some kind of excuse or difficulty for them. No mention that we hadn't played for 27 days........

boik

Alan Sheerer MOTD 1 October.
"Before I say anything I have to say how good Brighton were, they were magnificent and deserved at least a point, hmmmm..... BUT Liverpool" and here were the 'no disrespect to Brighton' excuses about how bad Liverpool were.
No Alan, we were magnificent, just leave it there.

Both things can be true at the same time. You do seem a bit oversensitive.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Thing that got my goat 'tlittle at weekend was the constant reference to the fact that Liverpool hadn't played in 28 days as if that was some kind of excuse or difficulty for them. No mention that we hadn't played for 27 days........

Yes, that annoyed me too, especially as Liverpool played Ajax and Napoli in the Champions League since our game with Leicester.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I’ve edited it slightly

Spot on.

"No disrespect to Brighton"

translated into normal speak:

"IDGAF how Brighton played, Big Top 6 Club should be winning games like that".

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I’ve got Arsenal mates - we beat them - they told me they played shit
I’ve got Spurs mates - we beat them - they told me they played shit
I’ve got Man Utd mates - we beat them loads - they told me they played shit
Same with my Liverpool supporting mates
And even I know a Leeds fan and every single time they haven’t beaten us - guess what they played shite !!

On not any occasion, was their first thought was to say fair play you out done us today, you outclassed us, you are a great side

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
14806B5E-9E7F-4A35-A0DE-2284A8A58E52.jpeg

Not sure if anyone else has seen this, but some people are noticing and giving credit where credit is due.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Original post did amuse me but agree with others that we are getting some credit now. In some ways, I preferred it the old way as it's now seemingly become compulsory to praise our players and, in the same breath, point out that it won't be long before they're playing for 'a bigger club'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And even I know a Leeds fan and every single time they haven’t beaten us - guess what they played shite !!

On not any occasion, was their first thought was to say fair play you out done us today, you outclassed us, you are a great side

You need better mates.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Nail on head from [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] - trade your mates in!!

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

They also made a point while talking about the Liverpool defence to say just how well we were moving the ball, causing a lot of the problems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here