Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Can I use a 15v laptop charger for a 12v battery?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
My laptop charger has gone walkabout and after 2 fruitless Amazon purchases, I've finally found one with the right connector. It even has adjustable voltage but the lowest is 15v and my laptop is 12v.

It works but will it damage the battery?

The internet tells me yes, no, maybe so. What say ye NSC?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My laptop charger has gone walkabout and after 2 fruitless Amazon purchases, I've finally found one with the right connector. It even has adjustable voltage but the lowest is 15v and my laptop is 12v.

Try it. Other than a horrible, horrible death from having the laptop battery exploding in your face, what is the worse that can happen?

High risk high reward, Albion style.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Try it. Other than a horrible, horrible death from having the laptop battery exploding in your face, what is the worse that can happen?

High risk high reward, Albion style.

That's my view. Ignoring the protestations of my girlfriend, I've got it plugged in.

I'll let you know if I blow the house up.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That's my view. Ignoring the protestations of my girlfriend, I've got it plugged in.

I'll let you know if I blow the house up.

No chance of blowing the house up providing you’ve got a 0.5A fuse in the plug; that’ll go before the house.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
the suggested charge voltage for Lion (Lithium Ion) batteries is 14.3 - 14.6V - so 15v is a little high. Lithium batteries are at risk of over-heating and in extreme conditions igniting if pushed too hard.

I'd keep an eye on the battery temp

Edit to add, importantly:

Overcharge

Lithium batteries can be safely charged to 4.1 V or 4.2 V/cell, but no higher. Overcharging causes damage to the battery and creates a safety hazard, including fire danger. A battery protection circuit should be used to prevent this.

So, if your laptop is a 4s config, you can go to 16.8v before you damage the overall pack and cause a fire risk.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The laptop (or battery itself) will *probably* have a regulator to drop the voltage.
Best bet is to charge it in a bucket of water.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Buy a new laptop ...

Then, if 15v into 12v gives disastrous outcome [high probability?] and blows the sensitive electronic circuitry [motherboard] you'll be all ready to go [with new laptop].

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
[MENTION=17447]Bakero[/MENTION] hasn't posted since lunch. I assume he has been too busy putting out a nasty house fire.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I have blown up two laptops by connecting the wrong charger. Just Don't!

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
You would have thought that in this day and age there would be standard plugs for phones, laptops, accessories etc? Jeez, it's not rocket science.
One size fits all, and all that?

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
:lol:
Going off at a different angle here, but there are still plenty of engines on narrowboats that need starting with shotgun cartridges.

Yes, really.

In WWII Coffman Cartridge starters were widely used on Typhoons and Tempests which had 37 litre 24 cylinder Napier Sabre engines developing 2200 HP, I'm amazed they didn't have to use an anti-tank weapon to start them...

There is apparently a Typhoon restoration underway. Would pay good money to hear a Sabre run up...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
And I know it is being wise after the event but as I am still taking stuff to god awful dumps like Ipswich I always make a point of buying two laptop leads.

One of which is safely plugged in at my Office at Jakarta Towers while the other comes out with me to enjoy the scenery (well a Premier Inn desk).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here