Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Technical Advice needed.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
No they are not VPNs. Duckduckgo is a search engine which does not use tracking cookies, I think you can also install it as an app and they may have their own VPN service but generally it is known as a search engine.

Tor is another way of providing yourself privacy online which you can do through Tor browser to view onion sites on the 'darkweb'. I wouldn't recommend Tor for general browsing though as it can be slow and will break some sites as to make them unusable.

In terms of VPN I use Mullvad which is highly rated across the board but the standard recommendation is NordVPN.

What do you want it for, privacy or to watch UK tv whilst abroad?

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
DuckDuckGo is a search engine (an alternative to Google) that doesn’t save your searches or sell your search information.

Tor to my understanding is not a VPN. but a series of relays that (like a VPN) make it harder for the casual tracker to identify you. Your traffic is encrypted and passed around a bunch of different servers before being routed on to its destination. There’s a performance hit to this, so not suitable for huge file downloads.

The best VPNs are also the most expensive VPNs. The one that’s worked most reliably without being detected in my experience is ExpressVPN, but it’s not the cheapest option.

Hope that’s helpful.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I hope I’m not the only one on here who’d like an English translation of the above. Though I’m not sure what I’d do with it.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
No they are not VPNs. Duckduckgo is a search engine which does not use tracking cookies, I think you can also install it as an app and they may have their own VPN service but generally it is known as a search engine.

Tor is another way of providing yourself privacy online which you can do through Tor browser to view onion sites on the 'darkweb'. I wouldn't recommend Tor for general browsing though as it can be slow and will break some sites as to make them unusable.

In terms of VPN I use Mullvad which is highly rated across the board but the standard recommendation is NordVPN.

What do you want it for, privacy or to watch UK tv whilst abroad?

Since the demise of Hesgoal whenever I want to use another stream it seems to suggest I need a VPN. So just checking what is out there and best one to use..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
NordVPN sponsors some podcasts (they sponsor kermode and mayo's) and offer discount codes.
ExpressVPN sponsers one of the Jim Cornette podcasts and has a discount code there (though that may only be for american customers).

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have two VPN's. AVG has it's own built in to its anti virus software but doesn't work on a fire stick.
For the fire stick I have CyberGhost 8. But I have to turn them off in order to get BBC.co.uk otherwise I get conected to bbc.com.
I notice Firefox has Hoxx vpn as a free add on. Is this any good for others to use for certain sites?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Since the demise of Hesgoal whenever I want to use another stream it seems to suggest I need a VPN. So just checking what is out there and best one to use..

Don't trust the ads...

A good (free) adblocker and a little bit of patience is enough in this scenario. If you wanted to go down a more "concrete" route then a VPN would be very useful to trick your device into thinking that you were in a territory that streams every game (Peacock in the US for example).

danielson81

Nov 16, 2010
Brighton, UK
Has anyone has any experience of using Sky Go abroad via VPN?

I've read conflicting reports online that NordVPN and others don't seem to work with Sky Go, and Sky block VPN ips. Basically, want to watch F1 in Spain next weekend.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've used IPvanish and now on a 3 year contract with CyberGhost ~£45 which has served me well for watching "foreign" TV on my FireStick / Laptop / Android in the UK.

Per above - first question should be, what are you trying to do?
Don't jump to solutions until the requirement has been properly articulated - I've said that a few times over the years

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here