Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "It's like Graham Potter football with five added espresso shots!"

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
When Potter went I was pretty despondent, I envisaged us going in to free fall. However, after Saturday, I am wondering if this actually turns into a bit of a ‘blessing in disguise’.

Given that De Zerbi seems to be on a similar wavelength as Potter, then IF, De Zerbi can add to what Potter created and add his own touches/improvements, then things could get very interesting. Without change things can go stale, and vice versa, if done and managed well.

Of course, if this was to happen it would be the direct result of the Club’s overall leadership and direction.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
When Potter went I was pretty despondent, I envisaged us going in to free fall. However, after Saturday, I am wondering if this actually turns into a bit of a ‘blessing in disguise’.

Given that De Zerbi seems to be on a similar wavelength as Potter, then IF, De Zerbi can add to what Potter created and add his own touches/improvements, then things could get very interesting. Without change things can go stale, and vice versa, if done and managed well.

Of course, if this was to happen it would be the direct result of the Club’s overall leadership and direction.

I think it's going to be really fun. I have no doubts that de Zerbi will be a good manager for us.

What I am concerned about is that we get some of our talent stripped in January/Next Summer and it becomes a bit of a rebuild job for him. We have assembled a really good squad and my fear is that Potter was never really interested in that being a large squad. If we lose players, we look a little thin on numbers IMO and without Ashworth and Kyle Macaulay I think there is a worry about bringing in immediate replacements (we are obviously very good at long term replacements).

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

I agree. It could be a blessing in disguise.

Firstly, you can't ignore, we made another £20m ish to chuck onto the enormous mountain of cash which sits somewhere in a Gringots style vault under the west stand (that assumes Chelsea pay in cash)

Secondly every managerial cycle has a shelf life. Potter was doing really well of course, but here we get to do a reset with a manager who can continue the best of what went before but add his twist

Thirdly we've got the new manager effect. Every player knows there are clean slates and places to be fought for

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've just watched Trossard's goal last year and it was totally different. The ball went from front to back in 3 seconds. Sanchez picked out Cucurella on halfway and he threaded it through to Lallana, who slipped into through to Trossard.

The 3rd goal yesterday was all about patience, drawing the Liverpool press. Then once we sucked them in, we broke. Of course, under Potter we played out from back and attempted to draw the press too but this was an amped up version.

This point is further evidenced by the fact that we played more passes in our own half (289) than in any game this year. Season-high interceptions too.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
This point is further evidenced by the fact that we played more passes in our own half (289) than in any game this year. Season-high interceptions too.

Out of curiosity, where do you find passes-in-own-half stats?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No chance.

But the timing indeed turned out great with the postponed games.

Well, so you keep saying, but then you said Potter wouldn't go to Chelsea :shrug:

The England job really isn't as unattractive as you think it from over there in Sweden. You said something like it's only for managers at the end of their career or who can't get Premier League jobs.

Well, Southgate was young-ish for a manager when he got it and Hodgson, while not at the start of his career by any means went on to get Premier League jobs (yes, plural).

Fact is Southgate will go at the end of the World Cup, probably because we'll have a poor competition and he'll get found out, but also because England managers have a big tournament shelf life. Fact also is the FA are likely to want an English, or at least British but not Scottish manager.

There is no way that Potter will take that job now, having just joined Chelsea. But assuming he didn't go to Chelsea and everything else stayed equal, the short list for that role really looks like Potter, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Howe, Cooper (S), Dyche or Lee Carsley.

From that group Potter would be about mid-range in bookies price and would, at least, talk to the FA.

In reality, nothing stays the same and I'd say the current likeliest candidates to get it are Smeddie if the Saudis pull the trigger, else Dyche, Parker, Carsley or whichever of Lampard and Gerrard has been sacked by then.

There really aren't any other English / Welsh managers who fit the bill and are good enough.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patreon
Aug 24, 2020
No chance.

But the timing indeed turned out great with the postponed games.

How are you so certain?
Unless you live in a parallel universe in which Potter didn't leave, you can't possibly know if he would have left after the WC. Or not. Or when. Or who he would have joined.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Well, so you keep saying, but then you said Potter wouldn't go to Chelsea :shrug:

The England job really isn't as unattractive as you think it from over there in Sweden. You said something like it's only for managers at the end of their career or who can't get Premier League jobs.

Well, Southgate was young-ish for a manager when he got it and Hodgson, while not at the start of his career by any means went on to get Premier League jobs (yes, plural).

Fact is Southgate will go at the end of the World Cup, probably because we'll have a poor competition and he'll get found out, but also because England managers have a big tournament shelf life. Fact also is the FA are likely to want an English, or at least British but not Scottish manager.

There is no way that Potter will take that job now, having just joined Chelsea. But assuming he didn't go to Chelsea and everything else stayed equal, the short list for that role really looks like Potter, Parker, Gerrard, Lampard, Howe, Cooper (S), Dyche or Lee Carsley.

From that group Potter would be about mid-range in bookies price and would, at least, talk to the FA.

In reality, nothing stays the same and I'd say the current likeliest candidates to get it are Smeddie if the Saudis pull the trigger, else Dyche, Parker, Carsley or whichever of Lampard and Gerrard has been sacked by then.

There really aren't any other English / Welsh managers who fit the bill and are good enough.

What a depressing list of potential candidates.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
What a depressing list of potential candidates.

Potter and Smeddie are the two stand out names but won't join from Chelsea and Newcastle. Carsley knows the England set up and would carry on that "Team England" promotion from within. Dyche would play much better football with England's players than Burnley's. He a pragmatist, a results coach and a funny and intelligent guy. I know NSC hates him because of "the stamp" but he's better than most give him credit for. He got Burnley into Europe.

Parker, Lampard and Gerrard are horrible but also likely to take the England job (Parker because he's out of work, the other two because they probably will be by then and have the "old England player" thing).

In short, let's hope the Saudis jettison Smeddie asap.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

How are you so certain?
Unless you live in a parallel universe in which Potter didn't leave, you can't possibly know if he would have left after the WC. Or not. Or when. Or who he would have joined.

1. The idea that of FA paying a £16m buyout clause for a PL manager is all kinds of unreal. Not only is it a lot of money for them, it would also be a case of interfering with the sports side of an English football club solely for their own gains, which is a massive overstep of the purpose of that organisation. They really can't mess around with the competitive integrity of any English league like that - buying managers from English clubs. Their job is to support English football, not to force sporting decisions from individual clubs.

2. Graham has quite explicitly said he doesn't really think the job would suit him.

3. Why would a 40-something manager decide to take a hopeless job where nothing but gold medals counts as success despite the team not touching anything resembling a gold medal for 55 years? Its not a good career choice. GS was also pretty young of course, but he was a failed Boro manager with nothing to lose.

But point no 1 is enough really. The FA stepping in and buying a manager from a club mid-season is just pure fantasy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
1. The idea that of FA paying a £16m buyout clause for a PL manager is all kinds of unreal. Not only is it a lot of money for them, it would also be a case of interfering with the sports side of an English football club solely for their own gains, which is a massive overstep of the purpose of that organisation. They really can't mess around with the competitive integrity of any English league like that - buying managers from English clubs. Their job is to support English football, not to force sporting decisions from individual clubs.

2. Graham has quite explicitly said he doesn't really think the job would suit him.

3. Why would a 40-something manager decide to take a hopeless job where nothing but gold medals counts as success despite the team not touching anything resembling a gold medal for 55 years? Its not a good career choice. GS was also pretty young of course, but he was a failed Boro manager with nothing to lose.

But point no 1 is enough really. The FA stepping in and buying a manager from a club mid-season is just pure fantasy.

Why would they pay that if Potter resigned and then took the England job subsequently?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why would they pay that if Potter resigned and then took the England job subsequently?

If that were within the rules, why wouldn't EVERYONE do it?

Do you think Potter could have 'resigned' from his job here, then signed at Chelsea, saving his new employer £20m :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here