Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] new away fan ID/ticketing system

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This is so ill-judged it’s parodic.

The story looks like it’s been copied directly from an email missive and rushed out. It’s a complex issue that needed a bit of thought and consultation. People can’t use tickets for a load of reasons - having to work, family commitments, illness etc. The whole tone of it, instantly threatening punishments for what are almost certainly very few examples of people trying to dodge the loyalty system, speaks volumes about how fans (customers) are viewed. Feels like these sort of goodwill burners have been going on for decades and successive decision-makers haven’t got any more sensible.

Shows what empty symbolism the fan advisory group is. Is it worth worsening the relationship with supporters again over their perceived problem? Off the top of my head, how about using the time and admin going into those measures - which you can easily imagine going wrong - to create an away exchange scheme for sold-out games? Probably not the answer, but then neither are these kinds of announcements.

Interesting.....apart from it looking a bit like a sledgehammer to crack a nut (again), I did wonder whether it's precisely due to someone at the forum moaning that this has happened.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Not sure about how I would feel travelling half way across the country in the hope that my ticket will be there ! ???

Confident. I’ve travelled three or four times to away games - when tickets hadn’t arrived/club issued duplicates and collected them with little fuss from the away ticket office.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
anyone aware if any other clubs have similar systems? or are we taking solving this issue to new heights?

Manchester United from time to time tell people to collect from the away ground. They do however have a ballot for a percentage of away tickets and it seems that people will move tickets on, to gain an advantage for the bigger games.

Seems to happen more frequently at European games than domestic games.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
There have been a number of arrests and ejections of supporters whose details do not match the ticket owner’s details.

And there in probably lies the truth and reason for an overly draconian and potentially impractical solution. Sadly we have a few idiots who despite knowing they are attending on someone else's ticket could not behave.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The four or five times I've had the collect at the away ground have been painless and the ticket offices there have always been very accomodating.

Show your ID and job's a fish.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Every day on Twitter I see someone or other on the #bhafc tag selling away tickets “DM Me” etc etc
If I’ve seen them, the club will have seen them.

They can get to ****. This just feels like then tarring us all with the same brush, YET AGAIN. I’m sure it might be ok, but this is utter boll*cks. As someone else said, I’d be concerned by the Amex empty seats rather than this. Would love to know if they’ve genuinely tracked accounts or if someone snitched. Just feel like we are constantly being read the riot act and each time it alienates me more. I will be running tight for time at Brentford away due to work. If they select my account randomly, that means I’ll likely miss kick off. Brilliant. Hopefully they know who they are targeting. Don’t see the harm myself. Innocent passing on the ticket to a friend. Rare does that go wrong. But club love to water down our support so I’m not surprised.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I did express that concern myself when speaking to the club day before the game ... but they were very reassuring ... and the ticket was there as promised :thumbsup:

I got all the way to Doncaster last season before realising I'd left my Leeds tickets at home. Leeds ticket office were great, printed off a new set without any drama.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They can get to ****. This just feels like then tarring us all with the same brush, YET AGAIN. I’m sure it might be ok, but this is utter boll*cks. As someone else said, I’d be concerned by the Amex empty seats rather than this. Would love to know if they’ve genuinely tracked accounts or if someone snitched. Just feel like we are constantly being read the riot act and each time it alienates me more. I will be running tight for time at Brentford away due to work. If they select my account randomly, that means I’ll likely miss kick off. Brilliant. Hopefully they know who they are targeting. Don’t see the harm myself. Innocent passing on the ticket to a friend. Rare does that go wrong. But club love to water down our support so I’m not surprised.

The "harm" is that people with sufficient loyalty points are buying away tickets to pass on to their mates, who don't have the points. The buyer then gets the bonus of boosting their own loyalty points, the mate gets to go to a game he shouldn't be able to, whilst others who might've had a chance of going with their points threshold can't, because of these herberts cheating the system.

Especially for games such as Brentford, which is close by but has a small capacity.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The "harm" is that people with sufficient loyalty points are buying away tickets to pass on to their mates, who don't have the points. The buyer then gets the bonus of boosting their own loyalty points, the mate gets to go to a game he shouldn't be able to, whilst others who might've had a chance of going with their points threshold can't, because of these herberts cheating the system.

Especially for games such as Brentford, which is close by but has a small capacity.

Yeah this.

No problem with the club seeking to ensure their system works as planned, but the reality of this is that very few checks will actually take place.
Plenty of chancers will risk it.

The only way to ensure 99% of tickets are going to the right people, is to use the same system we have for season tickets.
Barbs should be lobbying the other Prem clubs that don't have the technology to adopt it by next season.
Pretty sure many clubs already have the capability.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Whilst people may not be making profits by moving the ticket on they certainly are denying people who have the points but maybe not enough at sell out point . I know one away game i was at in London which was a sell out guy was saying he got a ticket for it and he was not even a member. Also know another using his dad's ticket who had lots of points.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is so ill-judged it’s parodic.

The story looks like it’s been copied directly from an email missive and rushed out. It’s a complex issue that needed a bit of thought and consultation. People can’t use tickets for a load of reasons - having to work, family commitments, illness etc. The whole tone of it, instantly threatening punishments for what are almost certainly very few examples of people trying to dodge the loyalty system, speaks volumes about how fans (customers) are viewed. Feels like these sort of goodwill burners have been going on for decades and successive decision-makers haven’t got any more sensible.

Shows what empty symbolism the fan advisory group is. Is it worth worsening the relationship with supporters again over their perceived problem? Off the top of my head, how about using the time and admin going into those measures - which you can easily imagine going wrong - to create an away exchange scheme for sold-out games? Probably not the answer, but then neither are these kinds of announcements.

I don't agree that it's a small problem. I think the majority are bona fide tickets for fans with the loyalty points but equally there is a sizeable proportion where people are picking up the loyalty points and probably also touting the ticket for a profit. I was talking to someone today who readily admitted it was easy to get away tickets.

As for attendance, I don't think it will have any affect other than people genuinely in the lower tiers will get a fairer crack of the whip.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah this.

No problem with the club seeking to ensure their system works as planned, but the reality of this is that very few checks will actually take place.
Plenty of chancers will risk it.

The only way to ensure 99% of tickets are going to the right people, is to use the same system we have for season tickets.
Barbs should be lobbying the other Prem clubs that don't have the technology to adopt it by next season.
Pretty sure many clubs already have the capability.

Dont think any good PB lobbying other clubs because there are many who dont care if you pass your ticket on if you cant go.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
And there I was thinking all I had to worry about was the train travel to these matches.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I feel like there must be a middle ground somewhere there, it just seems like the club didn't bother to investigate what that may look like. As someone else said, a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

I tell you what should be a really quick and easy fix if the club have considered it. Some sort of group of fans, voted in by fans, to have a direct line to the club to discuss changes like this. Because I think this sort of stuff would be flagged early that way and the nuance/grey areas could really be looked at.

You could call it something like the Fan Advisory Board. Food for thought.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Good, and not before time. The people moaning will be the ones benefitting at the moment from the extra loyalty points or from access to tickets they don’t actually qualify for. The beneficiaries of these new measures will be the silent majority currently losing out to these scams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here