Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Public disorder in Leicester

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I think Lenny's point is it not getting quite as much front end coverage as you would expect given the magnitude of the issue. Much of that though is down to the full coverage of the Queen though plus I suspect they are responsibly trying not to inflame things further. Last thing we need across our major cities is a Muslim v Hindu conflict. Shame they didn't take the same responsible approach when creating the petrol crisis!
No the post clearly refers to a media blackout and a single journalist covering it. Both of which aren't true.

There was an extended piece on BBC News radio yesterday, I listened to it.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Lenny's point is it not getting quite as much front end coverage

He typed 'some kind of press blackout '. This is pretty clear and not what you are suggesting.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It’s a very common thing to hear now “the MSM aren’t reporting” this or “there’s a press blackout” on this.

Now clearly there are certain things which don’t get reported fully, for example details of some trials aren’t always fully reported on for obvious reasons, specific injunctions occasionally prevent a story coming out.

But apart from these very limited exceptions, stories come out. Pretty much every journo out there would shoot their own granny to be the first with a story and all editors know if they’re continually beaten to the punch, they are out on their ear. Journalists need a VERY good reason not to run a story.

And now they have to get google and a load of foreign tech companies to be quiet as well. So any report of a press blackout is almost certain to be ballcocks

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think Lenny's point is it not getting quite as much front end coverage as you would expect given the magnitude of the issue. Much of that though is down to the full coverage of the Queen though plus I suspect they are responsibly trying not to inflame things further. Last thing we need across our major cities is a Muslim v Hindu conflict. Shame they didn't take the same responsible approach when creating the petrol crisis!

It's one of the headlines on the BBC news bulletins this morning as it was earlier this week and at the weekend and there are at least 7 articles on the BBC news website about it from the last couple of weeks. Is the BBC not front end anymore?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It's one of the headlines on the BBC news bulletins this morning as it was earlier this week and at the weekend and there are at least 7 articles on the BBC news website about it from the last couple of weeks. Is the BBC not front end anymore?

There is nothing on the BBC News front page today...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 09-21-22 at 12.52 PM.JPG
    Screen Shot 09-21-22 at 12.52 PM.JPG
    647 KB · Views: 230

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
There was a few days ago, but the BBC news app/website has been utterly useless over the last two weeks as the first 15 stories have all been on one subject. So it's probably sunk even further down now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
True, which is a bit odd, but it has been on the TV news all morning.

It is on the 'England' page but no updates since yesterday. But there is an obvious reason for this. It says in the link below that the unrest has been fueled by 'fake news' (i.e., fake stories designed to make one or other side angry, and aggressive) and it says arrests are likely to continue for weeks if not months (i.e., a sub judice element).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-62965416

Unfortunately this thread will simply serve to stir more shit. Bravo :facepalm:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Just been talking to someone who claims there is some kind of press blackout in operation at the moment, partly as the nation was in mourning for the Queen and also because of the severity of the situation.

goethe.jpg

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Peaceful protests also in Birmingham yesterday , according to this Indian based youtube channel

Leicestershire Police's temporary chief constable, Rob Nixon, told the BBC that social media had played a "huge role" in fanning the flames.

"There are significant things on there which are false," he said, citing assaults of people and attacks on religious establishments as examples.

"My plea is that please, if people are seeing information on social media, if they can't validate it, please don't circulate it.

"Because what we know people are doing is they are receiving fake news via social media and then they are forwarding it on, so it's amplifying the problem, and it's raising fear."

said the chief constable to idiots on t'internet.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I lived in Leicester for a few years. It was very obvious that there were some social issues there, but one of the most obvious divides was one of age. Lots of really quite angry young people, but the older / middle aged were much more mellow.

I'm hoping it dampens down as soon as possible, as yes, this type of thing can spread to other cities

I grew up in the area around 40 years ago. My opinion is that its very much based on the conflict between India and Pakistan and cultural/religious differences there, spilling over to the UK through both sides having connections back there.

But I havent listed to any of the media coverage and definitly not listened to that d!ck Jeremy Vine, so I might be outdated on my knowledge.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Leicestershire Police's temporary chief constable, Rob Nixon, told the BBC that social media had played a "huge role" in fanning the flames.

"There are significant things on there which are false," he said, citing assaults of people and attacks on religious establishments as examples.

"My plea is that please, if people are seeing information on social media, if they can't validate it, please don't circulate it.

"Because what we know people are doing is they are receiving fake news via social media and then they are forwarding it on, so it's amplifying the problem, and it's raising fear."

said the chief constable to idiots on t'internet.

Would be surprised if these peaceful protestors are viewing here . More likely to be members of their local teams cricket or football chat sites I would have thought

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Looking at the BBC site it seems that the last signficant report was 17 hours ago, so it has been bumped off the landing pages due to more recent items. If you looked 17 hours ago it would have been front page.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It had full coverage over the last week, I followed the story. Probably the biggest UK story after the royals.

Excellent analysis throughout on the BBC about two big causes - anger from the losers after an Indian-Pakistan cricket match, more deeply some troubling recent incidents in India.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here