Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Suggestions to save energy this winter…

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
How much is everyone’s bills , not direct debits ,for these summer months ? There are two of us and we are using £50 electric and £12 gas . Gas will shoot up once the heating starts. The electric will increase with winter lighting .

For 2 of us, August is the last invoice I had

Gas £32
Electric £71

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Getting a smart meter is an excellent idea as you can see when the power is being used and adjust accordingly. I used to work on smart meters back in the early to mid 2010s and wouldn't have wanted to get one then, but the ones now are much better. We have one from Octopus (meters from Kaifa) and they have been very good at showing us that the dishwasher is the cause of a third of our daily electricity use. The IHD works well a long way and through many walls from the actual meters.

We got an efficient, 2022 regulations compliant, small wood-burner installed in January and if our children are not here (they are adult children) we can cope with just that and very little heating on. It seems to emit very little smoke out the chimney if decent very low moisture logs are used. Not much help if you can't afford the upfront costs of getting it, though.

We've also turned down the temperature of the hot water (gas heated, in a cylinder) around 5 degrees. That saved around 20% gas over the summer.

In terms of cost, Octopus have put us on a £180 a month direct debit we can't reduce easily, though we are using way under half of that. I'm guess that from October the increases will mean that will start to be eaten into.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Suggestions to save energy this winter…

For a Start..Get some long johns , thicker sweaters,woolly pyjamas and another blanket on bed.
If you are in good health turn the thermostat down a lot !!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Thanks - I did some similar research yesterday and found the same - most decent-sized appliances are now rated E or F with a few in C and D.

The £ energy saving figure stated is quite interesting as the comparison is with the "least efficient appliance on the market", which means literally all but one device will be advertised as offering an energy saving!

I didn't know about that (bad) baseline, but the key thing is that the lifetime savings vary quite prominently across appliances.
It transpired that our one turned up with a dent in it, and my partner managed to negotiate a £220 reduction, so we've got over 25% off a £749 fridge freezer.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Pretty disappointing Downing Street has ditched a public information campaign to save energy this winter.

Even Jacob Rees-Mogg thought it was a good idea.

Just why???

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I’ve just had our first electricity bill since moving to a tariff called “Intelligent Octopus”.

Between 11.30 pm and 6.30 am rate is 7.5p per kWh and 42 p during the day. I have an electric car that is now charged automatically at the lower rate and we have timers for the dishwasher and washing machine.

The first bill was 2/3 of our previous one and with the government subsidy just £60 pm.

I can now charge my car from empty to 300 mile range for under £6.

If anyone wants to switch to it let me know as we both get a referral discount.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Getting a smart meter is an excellent idea as you can see when the power is being used and adjust accordingly. I used to work on smart meters back in the early to mid 2010s and wouldn't have wanted to get one then, but the ones now are much better. We have one from Octopus (meters from Kaifa) and they have been very good at showing us that the dishwasher is the cause of a third of our daily electricity use. The IHD works well a long way and through many walls from the actual meters.

We got an efficient, 2022 regulations compliant, small wood-burner installed in January and if our children are not here (they are adult children) we can cope with just that and very little heating on. It seems to emit very little smoke out the chimney if decent very low moisture logs are used. Not much help if you can't afford the upfront costs of getting it, though.

We've also turned down the temperature of the hot water (gas heated, in a cylinder) around 5 degrees. That saved around 20% gas over the summer.

In terms of cost, Octopus have put us on a £180 a month direct debit we can't reduce easily, though we are using way under half of that. I'm guess that from October the increases will mean that will start to be eaten into.

Good ideas...but make sure you don't set your water cylinder temperature too low or I believe you may risk getting nasty bacteria. I'm no expert so give it a Google unless you know:)

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Pretty disappointing Downing Street has ditched a public information campaign to save energy this winter.

Even Jacob Rees-Mogg thought it was a good idea.

Just why???

No idea, maybe reluctant to be called out for telling folk what to do or setting out a nanny state.

Most people might work out for themselves that reducing the heating thermostat by 2° or turning lights off when you leave a room might conserve energy.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
No idea, maybe reluctant to be called out for telling folk what to do or setting out a nanny state.

Most people might work out for themselves that reducing the heating thermostat by 2° or turning lights off when you leave a room might conserve energy.

Saving energy has multiple benefits...

a) Its good for the planet

b) It saves people money during the cost of living crisis

c) It saves the government money as they are subsidising energy bills (we yes are all paying for in the future anyway)

There was a whole raft of suggestions that could have assisted people.

What we are witnessing is strange ideology leading to plain stupidity and against the best interests of the population at large

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

c) It saves the government money as they are subsidising energy bills

What we are witnessing is strange ideology leading to plain stupidity

As I said, use your common sense.

You play witness to whatever you want.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’ve just had our first electricity bill since moving to a tariff called “Intelligent Octopus”.

Between 11.30 pm and 6.30 am rate is 7.5p per kWh and 42 p during the day. I have an electric car that is now charged automatically at the lower rate and we have timers for the dishwasher and washing machine.

The first bill was 2/3 of our previous one and with the government subsidy just £60 pm.

I can now charge my car from empty to 300 mile range for under £6.

If anyone wants to switch to it let me know as we both get a referral discount.

That's a very cheap overnight tariiff, do you have to have an EV (I have one on order), I do already have a dual tariff meter with another supplier

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In my front room (no radiator) I have one of thise gas fires that looks like a real fire. Anyone got any idea how practical it would be to take ot out and put in an ordinary grate? - for wood burning. Would I need adaptations to the chimney, etc., etc?

Any advice, or anyone had any experience of doing it? - would be welcome.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

c) It saves the government money as they are subsidising energy bills (we yes are all paying for in the future anyway)

What we are witnessing is strange ideology leading to plain stupidity and against the best interests of the population at large

The less energy people use, the less profit energy giants make. Tory’s love the energy giants. They are in each other’s pockets.

Dirty ****ing Tory’s.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here