Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Was I right?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Upon boarding my return flight with wife and 9 and 6 year old boys we headed straight to our pre booked seats which were a row of three and a single seat across the aisle. Cost for these were +£100 I think.

Upon arriving at our seats a lady with some older children had placed her kids in my single seat and asked if I would take the window seat so she could “see to her kids”.

Now seeing as it was 1am and our flight was already delayed I agreed as I just wanted to get home and decided that we’d all just sleep anyway. After a further 20 mins she was still speaking to the cabin crew about getting moved so she could be with her husband and other child at the back of the plane, she was also causing a caffuful asking more passengers to complain.

At this point I asked her what went wrong with her reservation of seats to which she replied that she didn’t bother and left it to her husband. This annoyed me and other passengers. She then declared that she worked on airlines previously and then declared that she was a anxious flyer.

This annoyed me so I explained that I had paid for my seat choice, she hadn’t, her kids were teenagers and are self sufficient and can be “seen to” from the seats they should be in. She then agreed to let me sit in my seat. People nodded in approval around me.

Was I right?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think you know the answer to that one.
It must have been very irritating for you. There are plenty of selfish people around who think they deserve better treatment than others and who try to do things on the cheap when others have chosen to spend their budget on what is important to them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Upon boarding my return flight with wife and 9 and 6 year old boys we headed straight to our pre booked seats which were a row of three and a single seat across the aisle. Cost for these were +£100 I think.

Upon arriving at our seats a lady with some older children had placed her kids in my single seat and asked if I would take the window seat so she could “see to her kids”.

Now seeing as it was 1am and our flight was already delayed I agreed as I just wanted to get home and decided that we’d all just sleep anyway. After a further 20 mins she was still speaking to the cabin crew about getting moved so she could be with her husband and other child at the back of the plane, she was also causing a caffuful asking more passengers to complain.

At this point I asked her what went wrong with her reservation of seats to which she replied that she didn’t bother and left it to her husband. This annoyed me and other passengers. She then declared that she worked on airlines previously and then declared that she was a anxious flyer.

This annoyed me so I explained that I had paid for my seat choice, she hadn’t, her kids were teenagers and are self sufficient and can be “seen to” from the seats they should be in. She then agreed to let me sit in my seat. People nodded in approval around me.

Was I right?

Of course you were, you had paid for your seats. Up to the cabin crew to sort out a woman who hadn’t.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
You are home now does it matter ? I waited 2 hours on a runway and another hour at the luggage reclaim. Get on with your life.:dunky:

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
100% right, people like this really wind me up, you were more than reasonable, I'd have been more like Ben Stiller in Friends.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Was I right?

Yep, she was asking for trouble "if" indeed she did leave it to her husband, who probably if he knows what's what was pretending to be fast asleep while this episode played out.

Also a bug bear of mine is people who complain or kick up a fuss, when they think they are right or want discount or better service, seem to always say oh "I used to be in the trade, and know either how it should be done, or can be done" -- bog off, never in a month of sundays were you x,y, or z it just makes you think you sound knowledgeable so you get your own way, I hate that, I charge customers more, just for insulting my intelligence (which is not great to be fair)

You were right by the way

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yep, she was asking for trouble "if" indeed she did leave it to her husband, who probably if he knows what's what was pretending to be fast asleep while this episode played out.

Also a bug bear of mine is people who complain or kick up a fuss, when they think they are right or want discount or better service, seem to always say oh "I used to be in the trade, and know either how it should be done, or can be done" -- bog off, never in a month of sundays were you x,y, or z it just makes you think you sound knowledgeable so you get your own way, I hate that, I charge customers more, just for insulting my intelligence (which is not great to be fair)

You were right by the way
When your in the trade the bollocks they come with is well just that. My usual electrician normally charges way less, eh? Why are you calling me then ffs. Thirty years in I’ve heard it all honestly just stop you morons you aren’t even original. I do the same insult me and I’m charging more for you being a dick :lolol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When your in the trade the bollocks they come with is well just that. My usual electrician normally charges way less, eh? Why are you calling me then ffs. Thirty years in I’ve heard it all honestly just stop you morons you aren’t even original. I do the same insult me and I’m charging more for you being a dick :lolol:

I call it idiot tax and put it on my budgets a bit extra for the fitters, who know doubt will be given an earful on site or at customers houses.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
"Do you know who I am?" I have had that once or twice, laughable arrogance. And no, I didn't know who they were.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You are home now does it matter ? I waited 2 hours on a runway and another hour at the luggage reclaim. Get on with your life.:dunky:

If you're waiting 2 hours on the runway then you responsible for a lot of other delays. Wait at the gate like everyone else, the runway is for planes. Selfish.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Yes you are right. We all know that a wife won't just "leave it to her husband" but will be all over his arse until it's done.

She's tried to cheapskate it and blag it on the plane. It didn't work and then she tries to guilt trip you? Forget that!

And if cleaning toilets at Gatwick counts as working in the industry, then, yes she did, I suppose.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Was I right?

Yes.

But I wouldn't have let her bogart a seat off you in the first place.

Call me someone who doesn't keep up with the modern world but when did taking international flights become a human right?

On a related note, as a man with scoliosis I booked a seat on a train to the Cheaterfraud away game around 20 years ago. I was able to upgrade to first class, too. When I got on the train a bloke in his 30s was in my seat with 3 mates. He just stared at me when I asked him to move. I ended up standing all the way. His conversation with his mates included discussion about seeing a 'brass' round Kings Cross on the way home later. Nice.

There are selfish entitled dicks everywhere, from piss-taking mothers on flights to coke-sniffing herberts at the football.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It that what it says on your business card and website?

You aren't Gerald Ratner in disguise, are you? ???

:wink:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Of course you were, you had paid for your seats. Up to the cabin crew to sort out a woman who hadn’t.

Absolutely right, more than right, you were helpful to her. Selfish people need to be stopped from playing a sympathy card.

As an aside, mate of mine sometimes works on passport control at Gatwick. One of the best bits he tells me is giving a few probing questions and delaying someone famous whilst pretending not to have a clue who they are.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here