Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Lost Luggage

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Really hoped this wouldn't have happened and the first time for me.
Wifey got all her stuff, but my large case with 3 weeks worth of clothes and stuff was a no show.
We checked in at Heathrow and the cases were together.
Changed at Singapore and headed back to Perth.
No case, was given a card, with a QR code thing on it to follow up.
I am 62 and am not that techie at this sort of thing.
At least 70% of my clothes were in it along with other items, including the new Albion away shirt that I treated myself to.
So now the shit show starts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wifey got all her stuff, but my large case with 3 weeks worth of clothes and stuff was a no show.
At least 70% of my clothes were in it along with other items, including the new Albion away shirt that I treated myself to.

It’ll turn up……we’ve had a couple go missing over the years, usually end up arriving by courier a few days later. Wife’s case somehow ended up in Jamaica once when she was flying from Gatwick to Edinburgh :mad:

You can download a free QRC scanner to your phone/Ipad, use the phone camera with that to scan the code and it’ll take you to the right website which will have the tracking info. Good luck

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Dazzer’s advice is spot on.

Before the days of QR Lufthansa managed to lose my case at Frankfurt on my way to Chennai, India. Luckily (?) I flew on a Friday to start a job on the Monday and a courier managed to deliver the case to my sun lounger at the hotel on Sunday afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Taking the positives, at least it's happened at the end of your trip. Last time I flew to Oz from Gatwick, I got to Sydney to find my luggage had made it as far as... Heathrow :facepalm: Was delivered a couple of days later by courier. As others have said, it'll turn up

There's a load of free QR code apps to choose from. For an android phone can recommend one called 'QR & Barcode Scanner' (no idea why it's called that). Very easy to use. Good luck!

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Taking the positives, at least it's happened at the end of your trip. Last time I flew to Oz from Gatwick, I got to Sydney to find my luggage had made it as far as... Heathrow :facepalm: Was delivered a couple of days later by courier. As others have said, it'll turn up

There's a load of free QR code apps to choose from. For an android phone can recommend one called 'QR & Barcode Scanner' (no idea why it's called that). Very easy to use. Good luck!

Were you trialling a new route to the Amex?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’ll turn up. I have had my luggage lost a few times. You may have to spend a few days feeling like Jack Reacher, turning up in town with nothing but the shirt on your back though.

A mate of mine travels constantly for work and has bought him self a luggage tracker. Pop it in the top of your suitcase and you can see on your mobile where it is at any time. Quite neat, I thought.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The odds on getting it back are in your favour. Good luck.

And if we spot anyone walking around the Heathrow area in a “classy” Hawaiian shirt we’ll apprehend them!

How was your trip?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It’ll turn up. I have had my luggage lost a few times. You may have to spend a few days feeling like Jack Reacher, turning up in town with nothing but the shirt on your back though.

A mate of mine travels constantly for work and has bought him self a luggage tracker. Pop it in the top of your suitcase and you can see on your mobile where it is at any time. Quite neat, I thought.

I travel a lot for work and manage to pack a week’s worth of stuff into hand luggage. I know where mine is - in my hand or the overhead locker. Yes, I am a wheelie case wanker.

Air pods - great for luggage but unfortunately good for stalking too

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Mine was lost with American Airlines, they have warehouses full of them they asked me what colour (color) I said black! They said 'well thank you sir'. It came back eventually looking like it had been attacked by a tiger obviously caught in some machine. Virgin replaced the back FOC. The new one now has distinct markings at both ends so can be seen when stacked in a mound. Good luck at least you have a lucky shirt.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I travel a lot for work and manage to pack a week’s worth of stuff into hand luggage. I know where mine is - in my hand or the overhead locker. Yes, I am a wheelie case wanker.

Air pods - great for luggage but unfortunately good for stalking too

I rarely check luggage. But I rarely go anywhere for more than four or five days.

Halve your luggage, double your money. That’s the way to go.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Best of luck with the retrieval. These days it is a lot harder for cases to go permanently AWOL. I once went to Spain with the family, and my case went missing (it went on a separate trip to Ibiza, I later found out) and it was a life lesson to me to ensure clothes etc are split between cases, as the case that disappeared ONLY had my stuff in, and meant (once I'd finished ringing the insurers) I was having to even buy underwear from whatever local shops I could find! I did get the case, four days later, delivered to my room at the hotel. And that was in the days of flimsy luggage tags, unlike now where they are much sturdier.

It is worth remembering to ALWAYS remove all barcode stickers from cases once you have arrived at your destination, as old ones remaining on cases can result in mis-direction. I sometimes see cases with LOADS of them all over, as a badge of honour I guess - "look at all the places I've been!" :lol:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
General advice - as well as travel insurance airlines also have to reimburse reasonable items while luggage is missing. So first 24 hours toiletries, some clothes etc. But needs to be ‘reasonable’ expenses

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Has happened to me twice, both times with Easyjet to Corfu. The first time it was just me and they kept up updated where it was, the second time there were about 40 people missing cases on the flight because something had broken at Gatwick. They knew about it but rather than delay the flight an hour they just took off without them.
On both occasions the case arrived to our apartment in a taxi a day or so later.
If we take two cases we split all our stuff across them so we have enough, if we only take one, we ensure there's two days worth of gear in hand luggage.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I travel a lot for work and manage to pack a week’s worth of stuff into hand luggage. I know where mine is - in my hand or the overhead locker.

That's how I've always done things, and it worked fine until I was on an internal flight in the States from NYC to Chicago with a group of friends. We were the last people getting on the flight and they said we would have to leave our wheelie cases at the door as there was no more overhead bin space left and it would be checked into the main baggage hold. They assured us the luggage would be OK, needless to say it got lost. Sometimes you just can't win no matter how carefully you plan things

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That was clever, l hope her luggage enjoyed it's mini-break in the sun. Did it take up Rastafarianism whilst it was away? :rolleyes:

It did arrive home missing a few items (washbag) - but oddly containing a few extra ones like some sandals and a shirt :shrug:

Once I had to go to Malta for a meeting with the MFSA (essentially to get what passes for a regulatory kicking in Malta for something one of our particularly stupid Swiss private bankers did). It was a few days after the shoe bomber had done his thing so despite only going for one night I had to check my luggage in - it was a BH Monday flight so I travelled in shorts and a tee shirt with my best 'sorry Mr Chairman we won't do it again' suit, tie and white shirt in my checked case. On arrival my name was being called to attend the baggage desk - obviously knew immediately what that meant. Was told my case would be on the next flight - which was, of course, the same time the next day but my meeting was at 9am. Called BA and they agreed I could buy whatever I needed...........trouble is, there wasn't much open in Malta on a Bank Holiday. Managed to get some cheap chinos, a polo shirt and some shoes. Had to explain why I was dressed ready for a round of golf rather than a meeting, but all the MFSA Chairman wanted to know was that it wasn't an Air Malta issue. BA then refused my claim when I sent it in. I wrote a stroppy letter to Willie Walsh, got all my money back and a good case of wine in addition :lol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Has happened to me twice, both times with Easyjet to Corfu. The first time it was just me and they kept up updated where it was, the second time there were about 40 people missing cases on the flight because something had broken at Gatwick. They knew about it but rather than delay the flight an hour they just took off without them.
On both occasions the case arrived to our apartment in a taxi a day or so later.
If we take two cases we split all our stuff across them so we have enough, if we only take one, we ensure there's two days worth of gear in hand luggage.

Same happened to me bruv and family coming back from Corfu a couple of weeks back. Having been lied to by aircrew, could clearly see their luggage piled up on the tarmac as the plane was taxiing down the runway, cleared for take-off. As always, stuff found its way back to owner sooner rather than later. In the end it was just STUFF. Nobody died :shrug:

Jul 7, 2003
I was on a flight from Gatwick to Zurich with easyJet where you have to get the bus out to a remote stand. As we were being driven out to the plane, there was a random suitcase by the side of the marked bus route which had obviously fallen from the luggage truck.

We stopped to let something pass by and you could clearly see the tag on the case was for our flight. As we drove off, I could hear someone behind on the bus saying "that looks like my case". Thankfully for them, they mentioned it to the ground crew and their bag was retrieved and put on the flight but it shows how easy it is for these things to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here