Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Football boots for young kids

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
My 8 year old daughter has been training with a local newly set up girls football team.

It was her birthday a couple of days ago and she's decided to spend some of her money on some boots and shinpads.

What kind of boots does she need?

Am I looking at moulded studs for young kids? the training will be a mixture of indoor and outdoor on grass, no astro or 3/4g pitches.

Any recommendations on what type she needs?

I have no idea, I've never owned a pair or played the game as I'm crap at it. I just enjoy watching it.....

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

She absolutely shouldn't be, and the coaches / club shouldn't be allowing her to. Never, ever wear studs on 3G / 4G surfaces. The studs can bind in the 'grass' blades when the foot twists, and you risk serious knee or ankle injury - right up to full on ACL ruptures.

She should be wearing something with a pimpled sole, designed for artificial turf. This type: https://www.adidas.co.uk/x-speedportal.3-turf-boots/HR1790.html?pr=product_rr&slot=3&rec=mt

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
She absolutely shouldn't be, and the coaches / club shouldn't be allowing her to. Never, ever wear studs on 3G / 4G surfaces. The studs can bind in the 'grass' blades when the foot twists, and you risk serious knee or ankle injury - right up to full on ACL ruptures.

She should be wearing something with a pimpled sole, designed for artificial turf. This type: https://www.adidas.co.uk/x-speedportal.3-turf-boots/HR1790.html?pr=product_rr&slot=3&rec=mt

Suggest seeking advice from the venue as the rules for us clearly state no pimpled sole trainers.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Suggest seeking advice from the venue as the rules for us clearly state no pimpled sole trainers.

Lots of conflicting advise on it. What is their justification for that rule? Its certainly not for the players' safety!

LeicesterGull

Feb 2, 2009
These aren't traditional studs, they are moulded/blades so suitable for 3&4G. I'm a level 2 coach and all children play in these and my son trains with the Notts Forest Academy on 4G wearing similar. They'd be on their arse in wet weather playing in trainers.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I would give serious consideration to getting laceless boots, unless you want to spend half the session tying laces.

Alternatively, you can buy silicone strap-type things for £6/£7 a pair that do a good job of keeping laces tied during training/matches (look for 'Laceeze bands', they are available on Amazon).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My kids aren't allowed pimpled "astro" soles on the PACA 3G. Only ever screw in or moulded studs. It's caused so many questions to the school they have the makers' guide to footwear use on their website

https://www.paca.uk.com/docs/General/3G__Pitches_Footwear_Guidance.pdf

Whatever your view on what is "safe" there are a lot of 3 and 4G pitches that only allow studs. My son's are the moulded variety and he was fine playing on real grass in those too.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Little bump.

In the market for my lads first proper boots for multi ground use. Any tips and sites to shop on would be welcome.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
These aren't traditional studs, they are moulded/blades so suitable for 3&4G. I'm a level 2 coach and all children play in these and my son trains with the Notts Forest Academy on 4G wearing similar. They'd be on their arse in wet weather playing in trainers.
Assuming you refer to them locally as Nottingham Forest Academy for fear of retribution? I’ve heard they get abit touchy about this

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here