Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] RIP thread Protocol?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Social media has been a cultural phenomenon over the last 20 years, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The bad parts are clearly that it empowers people to behave in a manner they wouldn't otherwise do.

RIP threads make frequent appearances on NSC and the vast majority are either quite happy to contribute or to ignore. However, it seems some seem to think it's ok to derail a thread. Can I respectfully suggest that if you do not know the individual that is the subject matter then don't be a lazy arse, just google the name. It might nudge a memory bank and it might not. If the former you might still want to contribute but if the latter, then perhaps best to steer clear. Afterall, you wouldn't want a stranger turning up at a family funeral and wandering around asking everyone 'who's the bod in the box and what did they do during their life?'

It's just a thought and no doubt some will disagree.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I genuinely thought you were starting a thread to mourn the loss of thread protocol (whatever that is)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yep, totally agree.

An RIP thread is for those who had an affinity with the individual.

So if someone has 'never heard of them', or wants to speculate with absolutely no knowledge of how they died, then just stay off the thread. Your life will be no lesser for it.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Won't be too long until it is RIP IPv4 . Get ready for the hex goodness of IPv6.

RIP IPv4 1982-????

Edit - didn't mean the emoticon but it works quite well.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I feel somewhat targeted by this. :tantrum:

If you are so moved by someone's death that you want to start an RIP thread for them, surely it is good practice to note what they did to warrant such memorialising, otherwise it just comes off as "I just saw the news and I wanted to be the first to start a thread" or "look at me, I'm mourning somebody! I'm a great human being, be in awe of my sensitivities" or even "I'm so much better than you because I know this obscure person"

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Well put it another way, mourning the loss of basic manners!!

I think some like to comment "WHO?" or similar to indicate that they are above whatever (in their opinion) lowbrow culture the recently deceased made their name in. They know full well who the person was, or at least enough to trigger their snobbish response.

It's the kind of thing I used to do to wind my sisters up.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If you are so moved by someone's death that you want to start an RIP thread for them, surely it is good practice to note what they did to warrant such memorialising, otherwise it just comes off as "I just saw the news and I wanted to be the first to start a thread" or "look at me, I'm mourning somebody! I'm a great human being, be in awe of my sensitivities" or even "I'm so much better than you because I know this obscure person"

It's amazing to be SO wrong in such a short post on something which is so simple

Person. Dead
Other Person. Start thread about dead person
Other people. Write something if they want

You seem to have added an amazing back story to it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's amazing to be SO wrong in such a short post on something which is so simple

Person. Dead

No, I've just put it in the context of a message board.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Threads spinning into other stuff - no problem, part of the fun. With RIP threads it is a bit disrespectful though (even if sometimes there are circumstances that warrants it).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Person. Dead

Sorry, but I tend to agree with him. Many of these RIP threads are done out of genuine shock where someone is very famous or a local personality (e.g. The Perv) or scarily young / died suddenly.

But one or two are borderline trolling, filling the board up with no more than a knowing wink to someone who once told a shocking joke at Butlins Skeggy or appeared in three episodes of Love Thy Neighbour.

I wouldn't expect the thread starter to go down the full obituary route but linking to one would be nice.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Sorry, but I tend to agree with him. Many of these RIP threads are done out of genuine shock where someone is very famous or a local personality (e.g. The Perv) or scarily young / died suddenly.

But one or two are borderline trolling, filling the board up with no more than a knowing wink to someone who once told a shocking joke at Butlins Skeggy or appeared in three episodes of Love Thy Neighbour.

I wouldn't expect the thread starter to go down the full obituary route but linking to one would be nice.

My comment was about the bizarre view that the OP of a RIP thread is doing it for some sort of kick

Last edited:

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I feel somewhat targeted by this. :tantrum:

Surely it is not you that is targeted , in my opinion you made a very good point with a great example on the other thread , but the person that first posted " not meaning to be disrepectful but who ? " . That person must have realised that putting that caveat simply meant they really knew they were indeed being exactly that !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I wouldn't click on the thread title if I didn't know who they were.

If I felt the need to know I'd take the 8 seconds it would require to google it. If I then deemed it relevant, I might comment on the thread.

The logic that people feel the OP should explain who the dead person is strikes me as bizarre. Not EVERY thread needs to be opened.

Not EVERY c list death needs an RIP thread.

I tend to find they're started by the same people who bang on and on about being against terrorism or paedophilia, things that in fact nearly everyone is against. As far as deaths go I think there's probably only Hitler, Bellotti and Stanley I hope don't rest in peace (though I'm going to open some bubbly when Trump finally goes). I don't feel the need to plaster that all over the internet.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Social media has been a cultural phenomenon over the last 20 years, sometimes good, sometimes bad.

The bad parts are clearly that it empowers people to behave in a manner they wouldn't otherwise do.

RIP threads make frequent appearances on NSC and the vast majority are either quite happy to contribute or to ignore. However, it seems some seem to think it's ok to derail a thread. Can I respectfully suggest that if you do not know the individual that is the subject matter then don't be a lazy arse, just google the name. It might nudge a memory bank and it might not. If the former you might still want to contribute but if the latter, then perhaps best to steer clear. Afterall, you wouldn't want a stranger turning up at a family funeral and wandering around asking everyone 'who's the bod in the box and what did they do during their life?'

It's just a thought and no doubt some will disagree.

Anything else you don’t want us to do…as it appears you have taken on the mantle of arbiter of what should be posted and what shouldn’t?

Why don’t you apply for the job of moderator then you can just delete comments you feel is against your preferred protocol.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Not EVERY c list death needs an RIP thread.

I tend to find they're started by the same people who bang on and on about being against terrorism or paedophilia, things that in fact nearly everyone is against. As far as deaths go I think there's probably only Hitler, Bellotti and Stanley I hope don't rest in peace (though I'm going to open some bubbly when Trump finally goes). I don't feel the need to plaster that all over the internet.

I'm happy to be the NSC arbiter of who does and doesn't deserve an RIP thread, if the position is open. Just run it by me via PM before you start a thread and I'll give you the all clear.

E.g. Newton-John? Yep go ahead. Darius? No. Sidney Poitier? Yes. James Caan? NO

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I'm happy to be the NSC arbiter of who does and doesn't deserve an RIP thread, if the position is open. Just run it by me via PM before you start a thread and I'll give you the all clear.

E.g. Newton-John? Yep go ahead. Darius? No. Sidney Poitier? Yes. James Caan? NO

Thanks for the offer, but if it comes to it I'll get Crodo to start one of his multi option polls. At least Ruel Fox will get the send off he deserves.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Surely it is not you that is targeted , in my opinion you made a very good point with a great example on the other thread , but the person that first posted " not meaning to be disrepectful but who ? " . That person must have realised that putting that caveat simply meant they really knew they were indeed being exactly that !

Ahaaa…that would be me.

I genuinely didn’t know who it was and assuming the OP needed to put on that the said person had died, I didn’t want to appear disrespectful. Hense I asked the question…who?

But I understand that my comments have caused angst and upset etc etc, therefore I respectfully withdraw my comment and will pass it by drew next time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here