Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ranking our major signings

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
According to Sky Sports, Neville and Carragher recently rated United's major signings in terms of value for money, dating back to summer 2013, which was interesting and amusing in itself:

united2.jpg

It got me wondering where our major signings would fall, particularly during our Premier League era and I came up with the below that I think are a dead cert:

Green:
Groß (£3m)
Biss (£15m)
Cucu (£16m)

Red:
Jahanbakhsh (£17m)
Locadia (£16m)
Bernardo (£9m)

Who else should be considered value for money? Who is a failed signing? Who is amber? Possibly the likes of Andone, Schelotto, Izquierdo?

In general we get loads more right than we get wrong, which reflects how well we recruit compared to the likes of United.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Maty Ryan - green. Although it ended a bit oddly he was very important in keeping us in the league in the first two seasons.

In fact anyone who played regularly over those two seasons should be green, e.g. Davy Propper.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I can't think of another red apart from the ones you mention.

Andone's goal against Palace and some crucial goals in a struggling team which kept us up in our second year, pushes him into amber

Dunk&Disorderly

Mar 29, 2019
Brighton
Andone is surely a fail, we've been trying to get him off the wage bill for 3 seasons!

Lamptey green

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Agreed about Lamptey, I just think Andone played an important part when he was firing on all cylinders, i.e. Palace/Huddersfield goals and only cost £5m. Shame to put him in the failed column but might have to agree there too.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
According to Sky Sports, Neville and Carragher recently rated United's major signings in terms of value for money, dating back to summer 2013, which was interesting and amusing in itself:

View attachment 150921

It got me wondering where our major signings would fall, particularly during our Premier League era and I came up with the below that I think are a dead cert:

Green:
Groß (£3m)
Biss (£15m)
Cucu (£16m)

Red:
Jahanbakhsh (£17m)
Locadia (£16m)
Bernardo (£9m)

Who else should be considered value for money? Who is a failed signing? Who is amber? Possibly the likes of Andone, Schelotto, Izquierdo?

In general we get loads more right than we get wrong, which reflects how well we recruit compared to the likes of United.

harsh on Bernardo? £9m isn't that much and in the second half of that Hughton season was one of the very few players to come out with any credit

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maty Ryan - green. Although it ended a bit oddly he was very important in keeping us in the league in the first two seasons.

In fact anyone who played regularly over those two seasons should be green, e.g. Davy Propper.

Hmmm - Would have said Ryan was more amber, not sure he was a resounding success and let in quite a few saveable shots IMO. Propper is an interesting one, some great games mixed with some anonymous ones, probably just about green. Montoya amber, Schelotto red (other than the Zaha moment, awful defensively), Andone red,

Izquierdo? Such a shame injuries got the better of him, but that first season he was great at times.

Interesting and good thread.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
by the mere fact that we are still in the premier league I think they are all amber and above with the exception of Locadia who was absolutely dreadful.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Maguire as amber while Lindelöf, Mata and Fellaini - all half as expensive and at least equally good - is pretty funny.

Anyway, Brighton in the GP era:

Green:
Mwepu
Cucurella
Caicedo
Lallana
Veltman
Moder
Trossard
Maupay
Webster
Lamptey

Amber:
Andi Zeqiri (likely to be sold with a profit which always makes it ok)
Reda Khadra (same as above)
Aaron Mooy

Red:
Michal Karbownik
Matt Clarke

TBC:
Sarmiento
Kozlowski
Scherpen
Sima
Undav
Mitoma
Van Hecke

Doubt any club is anywhere near that success rate tbh

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Hmmm - Would have said Ryan was more amber, not sure he was a resounding success and let in quite a few saveable shots IMO. Propper is an interesting one, some great games mixed with some anonymous ones, probably just about green. Montoya amber, Schelotto red (other than the Zaha moment, awful defensively), Andone red,

Izquierdo? Such a shame injuries got the better of him, but that first season he was great at times.

Interesting and good thread.

Maty was terrific for a couple of seasons, then went off the boil. He didn't cost loads. Green for me

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Maty was terrific for a couple of seasons, then went off the boil. He didn't cost loads. Green for me

Quite a few went in because of a weak hand, plus some howlers initially (but those happen to everyone)..

He did make some important saves as well, but I just didn’t think he was good enough, and arguably not much of an upgrade on Stockdale.

All opinions 😃👍

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Gold
Gross
Bissouma
Trossard
Webster
Lamptey
Veltman
Caicedo
Cucurella

Green
Propper
Burn
Mac Allister
Lallana
Moder
Welbeck
Sarmiento
Mwepu
Mitoma

Amber
Ryan
Normann
Alzate
Mateju
Izquierdo
Krul
Andone
Balogun
Steele
Bernardo
Button
Montoya
Maupay
Mooy
Zeqiri
Khadra
Van Hecke
Karbownik
Suttner
Schelotto

Red
Locadia- shit and a dickhead
Tau- too much build up and didn't look up to it at all when he got the chance
Jahanbaksh- seemed like a nice guy but not up to it

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
We have only had genuinely bad signing since coming up, Locadia.
Andone and Jahanbakhsh are not without quality, but they go in the red list financially, but that doesn't seem fair on Jahanbakhsh. Hoping Jakub Moder gets over his operation and doesn't join Izquierdo as a talent destroyed by injury.
We have done less well in development since coming up with only Sanchez really making it so far, though we have sold a fair few for good fees, and maybe Connolly gets his head straight in Venice?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Gold
Gross
Bissouma
Trossard
Webster
Lamptey
Veltman
Caicedo
Cucurella

Green
Propper
Burn
Mac Allister
Lallana
Moder
Welbeck
Sarmiento
Mwepu
Mitoma

Amber
Ryan
Normann
Alzate
Mateju
Izquierdo
Krul
Andone
Balogun
Steele
Bernardo
Button
Montoya
Maupay
Mooy
Zeqiri
Khadra
Van Hecke
Karbownik
Suttner
Schelotto

Red
Locadia- shit and a dickhead
Tau- too much build up and didn't look up to it at all when he got the chance
Jahanbaksh- seemed like a nice guy but not up to it

We had moved on a bit by the time we actually got Tau able to play for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here