Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ref blaming

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Going to eat the sport from the inside.

Must be punished very harshly if there's going to be anyone at all willing to do the job in due time.

If you dive down the newspaper archives, one thing gets obvious: every referee in every country in every sport has been shite at least since Gutenberg invented the printing machine in 1450.

This strikes me as quite odd and makes me believe that it is really our perception of refereeing that is entirely ****ed up. We simply don't understand how difficult it is. A flaw in the human brain.

As such, you have to expect that common people for the next 500 years are also going to consider every referee as a shite one. That is fine I suppose, or rather: it is what it is.

But when players and managers puts all the blame on the referee after any game they didn't win, it fuels the situation. The Tuchels of the world are for whatever reason seen as people you should listen to, and so the fans do - and at some point or another it is going to end really, really badly as one of the hundreds of death threats top refs & their families recieve are going to turn into reality. At that point it is going to be very difficult to find people willing to do the job at any level.

I really hope the PL (and the EFL for that matter) goes further to protect the referees. Of course, some balanced criticism could be acceptable, but when managers and squads group up to do verbal gangbangs on the refs in the media after games, it is borderline the act of inciting violence towards the involved ref, and should be punished with a 10 game ban or similar.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Must be punished very harshly if there's going to be anyone at all willing to do the job in due time.

If you dive down the newspaper archives, one thing gets obvious: every referee in every country in every sport has been shite at least since Gutenberg invented the printing machine in 1450.

This strikes me as quite odd and makes me believe that it is really our perception of refereeing that is entirely ****ed up. We simply don't understand how difficult it is. A flaw in the human brain.

As such, you have to expect that common people for the next 500 years are also going to consider every referee as a shite one. That is fine I suppose, or rather: it is what it is.

But when players and managers puts all the blame on the referee after any game they didn't win, it fuels the situation. The Tuchels of the world are for whatever reason seen as people you should listen to, and so the fans do - and at some point or another it is going to end really, really badly as one of the hundreds of death threats top refs & their families recieve are going to turn into reality. At that point it is going to be very difficult to find people willing to do the job at any level.

I really hope the PL (and the EFL for that matter) goes further to protect the referees. Of course, some balanced criticism could be acceptable, but when managers and squads group up to do verbal gangbangs on the refs in the media after games, it is borderline the act of inciting violence towards the involved ref, and should be punished with a 10 game ban or similar.

I can take ref errors, as you say we have moaned about them for ever. It all tends to even itself out over a season. However there is no excuse for the complete **** ups made by VAR week in week out. In just two games, the push on Welbeck, the tackle by McThug, the pull on Cucu’s hair. Now the McThug one MAYBE mitigating circumstances because Caicedo could have been deemed to have gone in two footed too. The other two, no way. One was a pen and the other should have been at least a booking or sending off. VAR is not fit for purpose too often, I’d happily see it binned and live with refs making errors thanks.

I think there will be disciplinary actions taken against Tuchel for certain and probably Conte. Totally unacceptable behaviour and Tuchel’s outburst against the ref (whilst having some justification) should be stamped on

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Interesting take.

But I think that having been given the tools to improve the situation, the refs have seemed unwilling to take advantage and improve their performance.
Which is leading to increased frustration from fans/managers and players alike.
I don't know how well other leagues have taken to VAR, but the EPL officials seem hell bent on undermining it.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree OP.

The ref's are actually pretty bad in my view, but I think partly that's because they aren't backed up by the authorities. They should be free to discipline players much more heavily. So for example, any deliberate touch of any official should be an automatic 10 game ban.

Managers carrying on like Tuchel should be off the touchline for half a season. Why are the press and media going on about this like it's a good thing? How are officials at any level ever going to impose any order?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I agree completely that there is far too much criticism of referees. But also with Icy Gull, the issues so far this season is VAR. I'm completely against it, but if it is going to exist than the Wellbeck push and the hair pulling yesterday are what it's for, not a 1cm offside

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

So this has been going on since 1450 but only now will people be unwilling to referee?

There will always be people who want to ref. People who like being in charge, being in the limelight and, let's face it, staying fit, being well paid and seeing Premier League football from the best vantage point possible. Tends to offset Thomas Tuchel having a bit of a moan about a goal decision.

axscott

Jan 10, 2022
Refereeing is one of the hardest and most unforgiving jobs in the world. The world, who gets to see an incident over and over again from multiple angles, has a go at the referee who must make a decision within a split second from his 1 angle if he's managed to see the incident through the cluster of bodies on the pitch.

What needs to happen is for the man in the middle to become less and less important, speeding up and increasing the usage of VAR. Have a couple of cameras along the edges of the pitch and VAR can tell the ref when the ball has gone out and who it's come off, reducing wrong corners/throw-ins and not slowing down the game. Make it so that the ref only makes the quick calls needed (small fouls, time-wasting etc) and prioritise getting decisions right over making the referee feel important.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So this has been going on since 1450 but only now will people be unwilling to referee?

There will always be people who want to ref. People who like being in charge, being in the limelight and, let's face it, staying fit, being well paid and seeing Premier League football from the best vantage point possible. Tends to offset Thomas Tuchel having a bit of a moan about a goal decision.

But are we attracting the right people? The larger the pool of potential refs we have the more chance we'll be able to find those who are in it out of a basic sense of wanting to achieve fairness and a love of football rather than those wanting to be some minor celeb or get off on wielding power in an arbitrary way.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Interesting take.

But I think that having been given the tools to improve the situation, the refs have seemed unwilling to take advantage and improve their performance.
Which is leading to increased frustration from fans/managers and players alike.
I don't know how well other leagues have taken to VAR, but the EPL officials seem hell bent on undermining it.

This is the right answer for me VAR, like goalline technology, was brought in to cut down on the cockups. But VAR still has not established itself enough to make calls like the Cucu hair pull or the Welbz shove. For the few mins it takes, get the ref over to look at the monitor.

It's only 1x every couple of games and the refs can't/don't see everything clearly in the split second of the incident.

So USE the VAR to take a breath, look at it from a couple of angles and then make the decision.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Refereeing is one of the hardest and most unforgiving jobs in the world. The world, who gets to see an incident over and over again from multiple angles, has a go at the referee who must make a decision within a split second from his 1 angle if he's managed to see the incident through the cluster of bodies on the pitch.

What needs to happen is for the man in the middle to become less and less important, speeding up and increasing the usage of VAR. Have a couple of cameras along the edges of the pitch and VAR can tell the ref when the ball has gone out and who it's come off, reducing wrong corners/throw-ins and not slowing down the game. Make it so that the ref only makes the quick calls needed (small fouls, time-wasting etc) and prioritise getting decisions right over making the referee feel important.

That sounds absolutely horrible.

Football is all about controversy, disagreement, punch up / handbags, feeling cheated by the ref when you lose (or, if it's Paul Tierney at Old Trafford, when you win, when, incidentally, VAR still got a decision wrong) and the visceral release of joy when you score, without stopping for a second to think "it might be checked". Technology is slowly choking the soul out of the game without getting any more decisions correct (two examples, the Welbeck penalty I alluded to and the hair pull on Cucurella yesterday).

You sound like someone who'd be happy watching e-gamers playing FIFA.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
But are we attracting the right people? The larger the pool of potential refs we have the more chance we'll be able to find those who are in it out of a basic sense of wanting to achieve fairness and a love of football rather than those wanting to be some minor celeb or get off on wielding power in an arbitrary way.

I'm saying that's the only type available. If you don't want to be in charge you won't control an Under 11s game watched by thirty biased parents who don't know the rules, never mind reffing at Wembley with millions watching you.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

No thanks

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I think its fair to say that refs get a huge amount of unwarranted criticism, and for the most part are simply doing their level best to ref whatever sport it is they are participating in, and do so without favour the vast majority of the time. All fans will look at decisions through glasses coloured the same as their teams, and that is also understandable.

Referees will always make mistakes, and it is simply not possible to get all decisions correct, and as is often said, over the course of a season these errors generally even themselves out.

The problem of dodgy decisions does seem much worse in football though s. If you look at some inexplicable decisions, that even the most pro ref pundits can not explain away (The Welbeck penalty shout) which despite the footage clearly showing the contact was from behind and squarely between the 1 and 8 on Welbecks shirt was let go as presumably a fair shoulder challenge then questions need tyo be asked how, in the days of VAR do these blatantly wrong decisions continue to get made
Every decision like that, just feeds the fire and the idea that referees are dodgy becomes more and more popular

I actually think that there are some relatively easy way to cure the vast majority of these contentious calls. Firstly, the intimidation of refs has to stop- and that is quite easy- only the captains are allowed to approach and talk to the ref unless the ref approaches a player. Yellow cards for any player/ manager etc failing to comply. All this surrounding and shouting at the ref stopped. That removes a lot of pressure from the ref. The refs audio should be available for VAR calls, not necessarily at the time and broadcast live, but just to explain why a decision has been made. It works for cricket and rugby, it would work for football.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think its fair to say that refs get a huge amount of unwarranted criticism, and for the most part are simply doing their level best to ref whatever sport it is they are participating in, and do so without favour the vast majority of the time. All fans will look at decisions through glasses coloured the same as their teams, and that is also understandable.

Referees will always make mistakes, and it is simply not possible to get all decisions correct, and as is often said, over the course of a season these errors generally even themselves out.

The problem of dodgy decisions does seem much worse in football though s. If you look at some inexplicable decisions, that even the most pro ref pundits can not explain away (The Welbeck penalty shout) which despite the footage clearly showing the contact was from behind and squarely between the 1 and 8 on Welbecks shirt was let go as presumably a fair shoulder challenge then questions need tyo be asked how, in the days of VAR do these blatantly wrong decisions continue to get made
Every decision like that, just feeds the fire and the idea that referees are dodgy becomes more and more popular

I actually think that there are some relatively easy way to cure the vast majority of these contentious calls. Firstly, the intimidation of refs has to stop- and that is quite easy- only the captains are allowed to approach and talk to the ref unless the ref approaches a player. Yellow cards for any player/ manager etc failing to comply. All this surrounding and shouting at the ref stopped. That removes a lot of pressure from the ref. The refs audio should be available for VAR calls, not necessarily at the time and broadcast live, but just to explain why a decision has been made. It works for cricket and rugby, it would work for football.

It’s been said a thousand times but the FA should take a leaf out of Rugby Union. Dissent is punished and you very very seldom see any because of it. The captain is the only acceptable mouth piece and he is often just shut down by the ref.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm saying that's the only type available. If you don't want to be in charge you won't control an Under 11s game watched by thirty biased parents who don't know the rules, never mind reffing at Wembley with millions watching you.

Well I run the line at my kids games and I can assure you it's the absolute last thing I want to do!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
It’s been said a thousand times but the FA should take a leaf out of Rugby Union. Dissent is punished and you very very seldom see any because of it. The captain is the only acceptable mouth piece and he is often just shut down by the ref.

But decisions are also explained to fans. Refs in top level rugby are miked up and you know exactly what they're discussing. Same for DRS in cricket. VAR decisions are not replayed on screens, nor are the refs' conversations published. Makes you wonder what they're hiding.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Different times, different consequences. Go back to 1950, people might have been busy involving themselves in other aspects of societes and their lives. Move forward to 2022 with a degenerated population - and more so generation - force fed with social media. In newspaper days you'd read about a bad ref once, move on to other shit and get over it. Dumb Kid, 19, in our time could however engulf himself in hatred for the entire day, fuelling his anger, while also having a lot easier ways to access the ref and his/her family.

Of course it turns even more of a problem when it comes to leagues lower in the divisions and in youth football. At some point more and more refs are going to think "ok, I get £20 and if I make a bad decision I could have 15 young gangsters and their braindead parents, inspired by the Mous and Tuchels of the world, harassing me and my family online, or waiting for me at the parking lot after the game. Is it worth it?" and there are clear indications that a lot of these refs are reaching the conclusion that it just isn't worth it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
But decisions are also explained to fans. Refs in top level rugby are miked up and you know exactly what they're discussing. Same for DRS in cricket. VAR decisions are not replayed on screens, nor are the refs' conversations published. Makes you wonder what they're hiding.

Very true, my biggest annoyance when watching on tv is the commentators rambling on when the ref is explaining decisions :smile:

But I agree, a miked up ref is a good idea. Players heard swearing and abusing him over the mike should be sent off. It would 100% cut out dissent very quickly

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Managers to get a 1 week stadium ban for the following weekend if they make any reference at all to officiating in their post match comments.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yes, every word. Mourinho’s irresponsible language led to death threats to a referee. Refereeing is an art, not a science. Decisions are subjective. Unfortunately the game has gone the other way and people cannot accept a contrary opinion on an incident. VAR often doesn’t settle it because often there is no definitive right and wrong. We are but observers in a pantomime though. Managers and pundits feed the machine and we shout ‘he’s behind you’ when our turn comes round on the autocue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here