Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Savage blow to Radio 2

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I guess, much like Radio 1, Radio 2 has a target audience that the BBC are hoping to attract.

I am 37, but still listen to Radio 1 - partly because I still quite like a lot of the music, but mostly because I like Greg James, Vic Hope and Jordan North, Matt and Molly, and a lot of their other hosts. It feels like the BBC are trying to encourage me in the direction of Radio 2.

I thought radio 1 target audience was 16-21 year olds !

I started listening to radio 2 at 30 .

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's not rocket science. The BBC needs to drastically cut its costs, so it gets rid of some top earners (Feltz, Wright and now O'Grady) from the payroll :shrug:

Cue the 'Well they should've got rid of X instead..." comments :lolol:

EDIT: props for the pun in the headline, though!

I'd also imagine most of the complaints come from people who already object to the BBC anyway so have an axe to grind no matter what the BBC does.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I thought radio 1 target audience was 16-21 year olds !

I started listening to radio 2 at 30 .

I'm pretty sure you're right! They are certainly cramming radio 2 with hosts that 30-40 year olds would like.

I'm just not ready to make the change...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'd also imagine most of the complaints come from people who already object to the BBC anyway so have an axe to grind no matter what the BBC does.

Exactly. As typified with the OUTRAGE about binning the classified results, even though most people complaining hadn't listened to them since they were kids! Plus they only realised when a news story cropped up on Monday morning, as opposed to Saturday night when they didn't happen!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Radio 2 is the most listened to radio station in the UK.

Why on earth do they feel the need to feck around with it is beyond me.

I'm not a P O'G fan or Feltz but I like Wrighty and Craig Charles.

If it's not broke, don't try to fix it as my old grandad used to say.

I actually agree.

Although Sarah cox and Lisa Tarbuck are my two favourite jocks!!!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Give Planet Rock or Radio Caroline (available on line) a try

I listen to planet rock in my car but the 10 minutes long advert breaks coming up to the half and hour marks pisses me off no end

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Greatest Hits radio for me. Although they do play far too much Stevie Wonder.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Radio 2 is the most listened to radio station in the UK.

Why on earth do they feel the need to feck around with it is beyond me.

I'm not a P O'G fan or Feltz but I like Wrighty and Craig Charles.

If it's not broke, don't try to fix it as my old grandad used to say.

As far as the Beeb is concerned, 'if it ain't broke, break it' as dear old Terry Wogan used to say about his employers.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Because in my experience most of the time they are.

O.K., I like the BBC and want to like the BBC. I am disappointed by individual decisions. I really enjoyed the Simon Mayo Drivetime show. An intelligent mix of conversation, music, humour and reviews. Replaced by drivel. I thought Steve Wright in the Afternoon was childish drivel, but loads of people loved it. I don't like Elaine Paige's between music sense of humour or cackle, but I enjoy the show and I don't like Michael Ball the singer, but I enjoy his show. I won't go on, but you get my drift. It's not the same listeners to each show, but a demographic. I support the BBC concept, but I don't like the way this new Controller has come in and decided to get rid of the people that get listeners to Radio 2. The station already has an audience of listeners. In what business world would you drive away your existing customers to try and bring in new ones? If PopMaster and Ken Bruce go, Helen Thomas will really know what audience reaction means.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Liza Tarbuck. It's a 'z' not an 's' btw. One of the funniest people on planet earth. God I love her sense
of humour.

Agreed! Very undervalued IMO.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
I recommend Radio Caroline and Radio Caroline Flashback (the latter for those like me, of a certain age) - both freely available on the internet and via your "Digital Speaker".

Caroline Continues.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I recommend Radio Caroline and Radio Caroline Flashback (the latter for those like me, of a certain age) - both freely available on the internet and via your "Digital Speaker".

Caroline Continues.

I enjoy Boom Radio now also on the 'smart speaker' system. particularly loved their last weekends celebration of the pirate ship radio years.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Liza Tarbuck. One of the funniest people on planet earth. God I love her sense
of humour.

I used to have quite a crush on her when she presented the Big Breakfast....

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here