Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Savage blow to Radio 2

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Paul O'Grady has finished his 14-year stint on Radio 2 and confirmed reports it was because he was unhappy about sharing his Sunday afternoon slot.

O'Grady has hosted his current show for 13 years, but a recent scheduling change saw Rob Beckett taking over for two three-month stints each year.

Two other big names - Vanessa Feltz and Craig Charles - have been announced in recent months as leaving the station, while Steve Wright is also vacating his weekday afternoon slot to be replaced by Scott Mills, and many other shows have been moved on the station's schedule.

Sad times.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I guess, much like Radio 1, Radio 2 has a target audience that the BBC are hoping to attract.

I am 37, but still listen to Radio 1 - partly because I still quite like a lot of the music, but mostly because I like Greg James, Vic Hope and Jordan North, Matt and Molly, and a lot of their other hosts. It feels like the BBC are trying to encourage me in the direction of Radio 2.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
I feel like I’m now too old for Radio 2. Luckily I prefer the music on BBC 6 music

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Paul O'Grady has finished his 14-year stint on Radio 2 and confirmed reports it was because he was unhappy about sharing his Sunday afternoon slot.

O'Grady has hosted his current show for 13 years, but a recent scheduling change saw Rob Beckett taking over for two three-month stints each year.

I have no interest in this, but highly amused that O'Grady waited until he was a couple of weeks back into his run before walking away, rather than quitting when he was off.

Probably timed it so Rob Beckett isn't available too?

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
From the thread title, I was hoping that Robbie was being transferred from Radio 5 Live to the relief of everyone!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
:shrug: if I turn the radio on and hear his show I turn it off/over anyway. I have never found him worth listening to.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Radio 2 is the most listened to radio station in the UK.

Why on earth do they feel the need to feck around with it is beyond me.

I'm not a P O'G fan or Feltz but I like Wrighty and Craig Charles.

If it's not broke, don't try to fix it as my old grandad used to say.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Two other big names - Vanessa Feltz and Craig Charles - have been announced in recent months as leaving the station, while Steve Wright is also vacating his weekday afternoon slot to be replaced by Scott Mills, and many other shows have been moved on the station's schedule.

Sad times.

Sad times or just changing times?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Sad times.

It's not rocket science. The BBC needs to drastically cut its costs, so it gets rid of some top earners (Feltz, Wright and now O'Grady) from the payroll :shrug:

Cue the 'Well they should've got rid of X instead..." comments :lolol:

EDIT: props for the pun in the headline, though!

Last edited:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
:shrug: if I turn the radio on and hear his show I turn it off/over anyway. I have never found him worth listening to.

I'd suggest you check the time/day that you are turning on radio 2. You will then know he was going to be on or not.

If it KEEPS happening then you REALLY need to set a reminder on your phone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd suggest you check the time/day that you are turning on radio 2. You will then know he was going to be on or not.

If it KEEPS happening then you REALLY need to set a reminder on your phone.

If it was a big deal that’s exactly what I’d do. Jeremy Vine falls into that camp. As it is I know he’s on on a Sunday afternoon and I am normally listening to the radio in the car if I’m listening at all. I have a number of presets which take a second to change.

Thanks for your concern though

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It's not rocket science. The BBC needs to drastically cut its costs, so it gets rid of some top earners (Feltz, Wright and now O'Grady) from the payroll :shrug:

Cue the 'Well they should've got rid of X instead..." comments :lolol:

EDIT: props for the pun in the headline, though!

The removal of Elaine Page would have been a better option, maybe O’Grady could replace her.
Rob Becket isn’t good radio IMO, in fact I’d put him in the bracket of Paddy McGuiness and say he isn’t good tv either (other than with Peter Kay).
Well, you did cue it! ???

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I guess, much like Radio 1, Radio 2 has a target audience that the BBC are hoping to attract.

I am 37, but still listen to Radio 1 - partly because I still quite like a lot of the music, but mostly because I like Greg James, Vic Hope and Jordan North, Matt and Molly, and a lot of their other hosts. It feels like the BBC are trying to encourage me in the direction of Radio 2.

No need to get your pipe and slippers out and listen to R2; tune into the thinking man's music radio station... 6 Music

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
If Im in the car late on a Sunday afternoon I quite enjoy the Paul O'Grady show. He has a big following amongst the older generation too, so will be a big loss to the station I reckon.
When he was about 5 my youngest used to curl up in bed and listen to POG on his little radio set during the winter. Always thought it odd that he enjoyed listening to him at such a young age, but there was something quite comforting and calm about the show - so it must've struck a chord with FP Jnr at the end of a weekend. At least we got a couple of hours break & could chill out too...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here