Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Jerry Sadowitz gig cancelled at Edinburgh Fringe

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No surprise really. I was initially shocked that you can say the stuff Sadowitz does on stage without being arrested. But it’s art and there are clear warnings for ticket buyers.

Sadowitz’s material is designed to be the most offensive stuff you have ever heard, that’s the point. It’s about freedom of speech and introspection. You laugh out of shock that someone can say such vile stuff.

But it’s all fake. Unlike someone like Manning, JS has the opposite views and values to the incendiary bile his character spews. Remember, it’s just a character. It’s a fascinating experience to listen to him going through every sort of minority, one by one with incredibly offensive remarks. The idea, I think, is to measure your own reaction. Dozens ALWAYS walk out of his shows but you’re an idiot if you’ve not done your research.

And he’s a brilliant magician!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It was only a matter of time before some precious little Gen-Z flower found their way into a Sadowwitz audience and burst into tears.

**** this world.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No surprise really. I was initially shocked that you can say the stuff Sadowitz does on stage without being arrested. But it’s art and there are clear warnings for ticket buyers.

Sadowitz’s material is designed to be the most offensive stuff you have ever heard, that’s the point. It’s about freedom of speech and introspection. You laugh out of shock that someone can say such vile stuff.

But it’s all fake. Unlike someone like Manning, JS has the opposite views and values to the incendiary bile his character spews. Remember, it’s just a character. It’s a fascinating experience to listen to him going through every sort of minority, one by one with incredibly offensive remarks. The idea, I think, is to measure your own reaction. Dozens ALWAYS walk out of his shows but you’re an idiot if you’ve not done your research.

And he’s a brilliant magician!

It’s yet to be confirmed but it seems the issue was with him getting his cock, or possibly a prosthetic cock, out to a woman in the crowd. If this is the case, I can fully understand why they have reacted the way they have.

Poor old Salman, he's lying in his hospital bed, finally gets access to his phone and then sees he's being compared to this bellend

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s yet to be confirmed but it seems the issue was with him getting his cock, or possibly a prosthetic cock, out to a woman in the crowd. If this is the case, I can fully understand why they have reacted the way they have.

He got his cock out when I saw him in London about 8 years ago. It’s part of the act. The mic is lowered to the cock which then starts speaking as he manipulates the tip and continues abusing the audience, especially hecklers. The hecklers I saw were actually spat at by the comedian as they walked out.

This is what the character he has invented does. He’s been doing it for years and years. But, I maintain it’s all about ‘art’ and trying to offend people for the sake of it. He is always careful to make sure he abuses all minorities equally, be they Jews, disabled people, trans people etc.

The point is, if you go to one of his shows without researching the content or understanding that he’ll say literally anything to try and offend you, it’s a bit pathetic when you complain. It’s like ordering a vindaloo in a curry house but sending it back because it’s too hot.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He got his cock out when I saw him in London about 8 years ago. It’s part of the act. The mic is lowered to the cock which then starts speaking as he manipulates the tip and continues abusing the audience, especially hecklers. The hecklers I saw were actually spat at by the comedian as they walked out.

This is what the character he has invented does. He’s been doing it for years and years. But, I maintain it’s all about ‘art’ and trying to offend people for the sake of it. He is always careful to make sure he abuses all minorities equally, be they Jews, disabled people, trans people etc.

The point is, if you go to one of his shows without researching the content or understanding that he’ll say literally anything to try and offend you, it’s a bit pathetic when you complain. It’s like ordering a vindaloo in a curry house but sending it back because it’s too hot.

Maybe the venue is guilty of not researching his shows fully; whilst it’s very well known his material is extreme and controversial I can’t say I knew he got his cock out regularly. That’s their mistake but I still think they’re entitled to their view, want to present and what they want to be associated with, or not be associated with……freedom of speech and expression goes in both directions.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Maybe the venue is guilty of not researching his shows fully; whilst it’s very well known his material is extreme and controversial I can’t say I knew he got his cock out regularly. That’s their mistake but I still think they’re entitled to their view, want to present and what they want to be associated with, or not be associated with……freedom of speech and expression goes in both directions.

In an interview just before the shows he stated he was going to get his Dick out (amongst other things he would do) so it wasn't really a surprise to anyone who had booked to go and see him in Edinburgh.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Venue tying itself in knots attempting to justify the cancellation:

'The Pleasance declined to give detail about what aspects of Sadowitz's material led to the cancellation.

Its director, Anthony Alderson, added: "The Pleasance is a venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians' material.

"While we acknowledge that Jerry Sadowitz has often been controversial, the material presented at his first show is not acceptable and does not align with our values.

"This type of material has no place on the festival and the Pleasance will not be presenting his second and final show"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
In an interview just before the shows he stated he was going to get his Dick out (amongst other things he would do) so it wasn't really a surprise to anyone who had booked to go and see him in Edinburgh.

As I said, maybe the venue is guilty of naivety but I still think they’re entitled to take the action they did.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Most venues would not allow his act. That’s perfectly fine. The retrospective action they have taken is extremely unprofessional in my opinion but they of course need to stick to their values etc.

'The Pleasance declined to give detail about what aspects of Sadowitz's material led to the cancellation.

Its director, Anthony Alderson, added: "The Pleasance is a venue that champions freedom of speech and we do not censor comedians' material.

"While we acknowledge that Jerry Sadowitz has often been controversial, the material presented at his first show is not acceptable and does not align with our values.

"This type of material has no place on the festival and the Pleasance will not be presenting his second and final show"

Why on earth do people think this a free speech issue? A private venue can do what the hell they like. It's their FREEDOM. It's forcing them to put on someone because some rightwing bellends are jacking themselves off at the latest culture war claptrap from the billionaire press that is authoritarian

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I don’t think they need to bother tying themselves in knots. If they don’t like him they don’t need to have him performing in their venue. I’ve no problem with that.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Fringe expert required.

How many times has J S appeared at the Festival?

Surely the venue knew what they were getting before they booked him for two shows?

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Fringe expert required.

Surely the venue knew what they were getting before they booked him for two shows?

Probably every year for the last three decades. I’ve watched him in London on numerous occasions and indeed even saw him perform once to about 50 people at the Assembly Hall in Tunbridge Wells. The man is absolutely brilliant, but because people like London Irish don’t like him, then it’s ok to ban him. I find it deeply worrying and quite wrong that he can be banned. That’s just my instinct. Freedom to offend should be a freedom like any other. Sadowitz will probably be called a racist or whatever, but that simply isn’t true. He hates everybody. That’s his brilliance for me, his bitterness is just astounding and the sheer venom which comes from his mouth, well, I love it.
Team Jerry all the way.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably every year for the last three decades. I’ve watched him in London on numerous occasions and indeed even saw him perform once to about 50 people at the Assembly Hall in Tunbridge Wells. The man is absolutely brilliant, but because people like London Irish don’t like him, then it’s ok to ban him. I find it deeply worrying and quite wrong that he can be banned. That’s just my instinct. Freedom to offend should be a freedom like any other. Sadowitz will probably be called a racist or whatever, but that simply isn’t true. He hates everybody. That’s his brilliance for me, his bitterness is just astounding and the sheer venom which comes from his mouth, well, I love it.
Team Jerry all the way.

But why should he be free to offend and the venue not free to reconsider the acts it puts on? I agree they have gone about this incorrectly, been naive and not done their research but if he can be free to offend then surely the basic principle of who performs at their venue should also hold?

As an aside I do find it interesting that people who are currently tweeting about free speech often try to shut down speech they don’t agree with e.g. Sunak and people who “vilify the UK” will be put on a extremist list and dealt with accordingly and Truss and anyone who says anything deemed woke.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Team Jerry all the way.

My only interest in this story is the reaction to it. Sounds like I wouldn’t like him. However, nothing I’ve read makes me think he is banned.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fringe expert required.

So do they still book the Black and White Minstrels too ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here