Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The ‘Coolest’ person you ever met in the flesh?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Uri Geller - once in Worthing and then later at Withdean.

Did he do this?

Screenshot_20220814-231524_Strava.jpg

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Howard Jones in New York, circa 1984 on his first US trip. He was doing a meet and greet at a club one afternoon and only about 12 people showed up (no one was to blame). No one knew who he was yet in the US. We had a nice chat about High Wycombe among other things as I recall (e.g. what is love, anyway?). Super nice guy, very down to earth.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
JC & JCC
I had diner with them both with family & friends, incredibly humble unassuming and genuinely interested in what you have to say, he had a certain calm presence about him, June was such a delight and beautiful warm eyes, as close to meeting god as you could possibly get.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Does feeding Mrs Windsor count? I didn't personally meet her but my food became very intimate with her. Other than that I have met a few Celebs, non of whom I would say had any influence on me, but like [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] pointed out I have met a number of amazing people on my travels.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Des Lynam
Judy Dench
Peter Brezovan
Mark Haskins
Fatboy Slim

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Daley Thompson or Roy Castle, although more of a nice guy rather than cool.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Always think it is important to differentiate between ‘met’ (brief hello, possible chat and thank you) and actually spent time with (lengthy conversation, had a drink with etc etc).

Coolest met would be Dave Grohl, only a few mins but very charming etc etc..

Actually spent time with…….Les Ferdinand, watching motorcycle racing, having a couple of drinks over an afternoon blah blah.

Somewhere between the two, Inigo Calderon.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have just remembered that I met Peggie Sue of the Buddy Holly song in Lubbock Texas at a book signing session and also on a tour coach. She was very laid back and cool about the adulation she was getting, surprised even as it was set up for a tour group from the UK.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
In terms of who others might think of as cool probably Noel Gallagher but for me personally Bjork. I met a few in a previous job, and while I didn't meet her in that sense about 6 months before she died Princess Diana came incognito to the newspaper I worked for. We knew it was someone important because whenever someone "big" came they arranged the security and corridors so it was possible for them to come in and move around without being bothered or gawped at (David Hasslehoff was the last person they'd done it for, a bit weirdly). Anyway, she came through and didn't want the airs and graces of special treatment and seemed instead embarrassed by it. She had to walk through the room I was in, maybe 20 of us in it, so we were all told not to gawp or tell anyone she'd been as she tried to be a normal person moving through the building without fuss to go and speak to the editor. That's very cool to me.

Ha, my experience of her was very different. We were in a sauna - just the two of us - and exchanging small talk. I noticed she had a foreign accent but thought nothing more. After a few minutes, the then Mrs Gwylan joined us and after we'd left she told me I'd been talking to Bjork. I, of course, had no idea who she was

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This gentleman, at the time I bumped into him we looked VERY similar, not so much now, him being dead, me being old and fat and bald!

View attachment 150864

Mrs WS bought his MX5 off him. She didn't get to meet him though - all done through an agent. The log book had his Greek name rather than his stage name.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Lew Norris
Lew Norris, who has died aged 84, helped to design the high-speed Bluebird boats and car in which Donald Campbell broke post-war water and land speed records; in the 1950s his company, one of the most diverse and innovative of its kind, also invented the automatic seat belt and produced an early go-kart.

Ha just Googled him this came up.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Ha, my experience of her was very different. We were in a sauna - just the two of us - and exchanging small talk. I noticed she had a foreign accent but thought nothing more. After a few minutes, the then Mrs Gwylan joined us and after we'd left she told me I'd been talking to Bjork. I, of course, had no idea who she was

Wow! I found her very interesting and interested - totally at ease with herself and just a view of things slightly outside the normal that was magnetically compelling.

Peppermint Tea

Aug 31, 2007
I, erm, declined Kylie Minogue's invitation to go for a drink. In my defence I didn't realise it was her until after she walked away. Still haunts me!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
JC & JCC
I had diner with them both with family & friends, incredibly humble unassuming and genuinely interested in what you have to say, he had a certain calm presence about him, June was such a delight and beautiful warm eyes, as close to meeting god as you could possibly get.

Would I be right in thinking that'd be Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash, rather than Jeremy Clarkson and John Cooper Clark? Pretty damn cool if it was

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here