Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Jersey question

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
I was watching some of the EPL games today and after seeing the jerseys of Bournemouth and Brentford who wear stripes it got me thinking: why do Brighton wear half-stripes (the front is striped and the back is solid)? Is there a historic reason? I have tried researching it but have not found an answer.
Sorry for the dumb question, I am trying to learn. :albion2:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I was watching some of the EPL games today and after seeing the jerseys of Bournemouth and Brentford who wear stripes it got me thinking: why do Brighton wear half-stripes (the front is striped and the back is solid)? Is there a historic reason? I have tried researching it but have not found an answer.

Firstly, they are shirts not Jerseys ! We have had fully striped shirts before it's just dependent on what the club decide is this seasons shirt design. Personally I'd prefer if we just played in blue and white stipes and stuck to it but that would somewhat reduce the clubs ability to flog a new shirt every season. That said I read somewhere that they don't get very much of the cost of the shirt - a bulk of it goes to the manufacturer, currently Nike.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Number on the back is much more difficult to read on stripes, think that’s why the back is often solid……..

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
For me this is the definitive and best ever Albion shirt. It was our kit when I first started watching, probably has a lot to do with my bias

942957C2-4126-492A-AB27-A1E89C27445C.jpeg

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
As Dazzer says above, in the old days they had white patch on the back with the number on but over time they just stuck a number over the stripes and no one could read it, no matter what colour they used, as it got lost in the stripes. We now have a situation where we have player name, number and a sponsor’s name on the reverse (something akin to an advertising hoarding) that require a panel in order to read any of it.
When shirt sponsoring first came out back in the late 70s we went to plain blue shirts which went down like a lead balloon but the money generated from sponsorship was too much to lose.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Any historic reason for roleplaying an American?

Massively overdoing the Americanisms. I'm sure we will reach the denouement soon and we can all move on. Unless Ernest is bored of Crodo et al, in which case it will last for ages.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Jersey. Never been there. Did look at going this year but left it a bit late to book it.

Went when I was a kid and when we were going for a walk, we ruined a take of Bergerac. Was supposed to be summer and we all had coats on. Next day, my dad tracked down John Nettles and made him sign a Jersey pound note. Was also in Jersey when Live Aid was on. Was at Fort Regent when there were rumours Pebble Mill would be live there - turned out they went to Diamante Lil's pub instead.
#cooljerseystoriesbro

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Firstly, they are shirts not Jerseys ! We have had fully striped shirts before it's just dependent on what the club decide is this seasons shirt design. Personally I'd prefer if we just played in blue and white stipes and stuck to it but that would somewhat reduce the clubs ability to flog a new shirt every season. That said I read somewhere that they don't get very much of the cost of the shirt - a bulk of it goes to the manufacturer, currently Nike.

From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_(association_football)

The rules set out the basic equipment which must be worn by all players in Law 4 (Players' Equipment). Five separate items are specified: shirt (also known as a jersey), shorts, socks (also known as stockings), footwear and shin pads.[1] Goalkeepers are allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms instead of shorts.[2]

I bet the stockings bit gets to you too!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Went when I was a kid and when we were going for a walk, we ruined a take of Bergerac. Was supposed to be summer and we all had coats on. Next day, my dad tracked down John Nettles and made him sign a Jersey pound note. Was also in Jersey when Live Aid was on. Was at Fort Regent when there were rumours Pebble Mill would be live there - turned out they went to Diamante Lil's pub instead.
#cooljerseystoriesbro

I think I saw that episode. You were pretty good actually.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
I imagine the only Jersey that our American poster friend is ware of. is the state preceeded with the word New, which couldn't be any more different from our own sunny Channel Island if it tried!

Ah the Garden State, where you can also find a county called Sussex I believe.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
From Wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_(association_football)

The rules set out the basic equipment which must be worn by all players in Law 4 (Players' Equipment). Five separate items are specified: shirt (also known as a jersey), shorts, socks (also known as stockings), footwear and shin pads.[1] Goalkeepers are allowed to wear tracksuit bottoms instead of shorts.[2]

I bet the stockings bit gets to you too!

In the 1950s when I collected Football League match programmes, I remember some clubs referred to shorts as Knickers. Bolton Wanderers (then a top club) was an example that sticks in my memory.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here