Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Stone The Crows!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That is quite literally what l feel like doing at the moment.

A couple of months ago a new owner moved into the house next door, an elderly widow, and a very quiet but pleasnat lady she is too. An ideal neighbour . . . or so l thought.

Just recently, a few weeks ago, she has taken to feeding the birds in her garden, not just breadcrumbs and titbits mind you, but everything from loaves of bread through to bacon rashers and sausages. She is out there at daybreak virtually every morning with big plates of the goodies, distributing them liberally all over her lawn.

The inevitable result of all this is of course that the birdlife of Sussex, (and probably beyond), can't believe it's luck, and they are perched all over the neighbouring rooftops awaiting her appearance every morning. I am awoken around 5am by the cawing of the crows, (Holy God what a din), plus the noise made by every other bird known to man as they all await their full English breakfast.

This is followed a few minutes later by the old dear saying, here birdies! here birdies! and they all swoop down for their feast. Of late it hasn't just been birdies either, looking out of my window last week l noticed that a few of them had tails, the big bushy ones of squirrels, and the real horror, the longer tails of the rodents, rats and such like.

I think l am going to have to try and put a stop to this, l don't want my house to be infested any time soon.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
You need this man..
8061d4e5fa75a996b35df676fd1267c9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
If I were you, I'd hope over the garden wall with a plate and join the queue.

Take some Kia Ora with you. Reportedly, it's too orangey for crows.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
There is always a compromise to be had. If you could engage her in conversation and explain just how bad for the birds health it is to feed them unsuitable food like bread, cured meats etc. Why not suggest she use bird feeders using seed, sunflower hearts etc. things that are good nourishment for the them. This will send the corvids packing in a very short time but will encourage the woodland birds, tits, finches etc to grace her garden - at the moment they'll be too nervous to with all those corvids around.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Buy a few cats. There’ll be a whole new feeding frenzy before long.

Her garden would turn into the animal version of the Somme within three days. That’d learn her.

Last edited:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

A couple of months ago a new owner moved into the house next door, an elderly widow, and a very quiet but pleasnat lady she is too. An ideal neighbour . . . or so l thought.

Just recently, a few weeks ago, she has taken to feeding the birds in her garden, not just breadcrumbs and titbits mind you, but everything from loaves of bread through to bacon rashers and sausages. She is out there at daybreak virtually every morning with big plates of the goodies, distributing them liberally all over her lawn.

The inevitable result of all this is of course that the birdlife of Sussex, (and probably beyond), can't believe it's luck, and they are perched all over the neighbouring rooftops awaiting her appearance every morning. I am awoken around 5am by the cawing of the crows, (Holy God what a din), plus the noise made by every other bird known to man as they all await their full English breakfast.

This is followed a few minutes later by the old dear saying, here birdies! here birdies! and they all swoop down for their feast. Of late it hasn't just been birdies either, looking out of my window last week l noticed that a few of them had tails, the big bushy ones of squirrels, and the real horror, the longer tails of the rodents, rats and such like.

I think l am going to have to try and put a stop to this, l don't want my house to be infested any time soon.

I had the reverse problem to deal with , my mother who was suffering dementia at the time, took to feeding the birds- it gave here real pleasure to see all the birds in the garden but with the same inevitable result- seagulls by the score all crapping over the cars and washing of the neighbours, who quite righlty requested that I ask her to stop

Not as easy as you may think, because while a perfectly reasonable request- it was one of the few things that gave my mother real pleasure, which I didnt want to take away, but I understood the problems that it was causing to the neighbours.

In the end I had to just tell her to stop, as my hints and comments were simply lost on her. This was quite a hard thing to do as she simply didnt understand the reasons, and caused quite a lot of upset at the time, resulting in "an episode". Luckily it was soon forgottenand she didnt go back to feeding the seagulls

I like the idea of bird feeders, my sister has them and the variety of small birds she gets is amazing, various finches, robins, tits etc. I think thats a great way of going about it, the OP could even use it as a "bonding" thing, as in asking if we both put feeders out we can see what types we get, so it becomes amost a community thing rather than a divisive issue. Perhaps the approach could be "I am trying to encourage small birds andwondered if I get some feeders you would like some, rather than feeding the crows which scare off smaller birds and encourages rats etc?"

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

Just exactly who or what sucked the humanity out of you ?.Birds need our help at this time of year,for their young and especially with water atm. This is not going to bring the 7 plagues down upon you,although 1 or 2 mind remind you that life without these beautiful creatures would be bloody awful.

I genuinely have a neighbour who moans that i put bread and bacon rind out for the birds,she moans when the Seagulls come into my garden because of their size and noise,i pointed out that while they are in MY garden they are not in HERS.At some point this might register with both of you !

As for any rats the Seagulls will take care of them:rolleyes:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just exactly who or what sucked the humanity out of you ?.Birds need our help at this time of year,for their young and especially with water atm. This is not going to bring the 7 plagues down upon you,although 1 or 2 mind remind you that life without these beautiful creatures would be bloody awful.

I genuinely have a neighbour who moans that i put bread and bacon rind out for the birds,she moans when the Seagulls come into my garden because of their size and noise,i pointed out that while they are in MY garden they are not in HERS.At some point this might register with both of you !

It's you in a dress, isn't it?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Being woke up at 5am every morning by crows is enough to suck the humanity out of a saint.

Thank god you don't live next to me. I'd moan if you fed the bloody things. Get loads here, very aggressive to other wildlife and pets/humans, crap all over washing, cars etc... Not to mention the constant squarking from the young. Might be our clubs nickname but doesn't mean I have to like the damn things.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Being woke up at 5am every morning by crows is enough to suck the humanity out of a saint.

Thank god you don't live next to me. I'd moan if you fed the bloody things. Get loads here, very aggressive to other wildlife and pets/humans, crap all over washing, cars etc... Not to mention the constant squarking from the young. Might be our clubs nickname but doesn't mean I have to like the damn things.

I live downwind of a couple of farms who choose days like today to muck spread the fields...take a guess at what i think of that,but hey i chose to live in the country so i have to except it as part of the rural life.The same as you live near a harbour where gulls have been seen on rare occasions,you also live near the Southdowns and a fair bit of woodland,where birds and other animals live so hardly surprising the two will clash from time to time.We`ve been here about 200,000 years the birds 250,000,000 years ,so maybe this is our fault not theirs .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here