Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Telegraph article 12/08/22 - How Albion became masters of the transfer market

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Behind paywall:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/12/how-brighton-became-masters-transfer-market/
I’d like to paste the whole piece, but will I get told off?

Here’s a chunk.

“It is almost a cliche in a way, that you don’t want to lose your best players,” says Potter. “By definition that is a true statement. But then you look at the alternative to that, which is to keep everybody. How does that affect the club? You have to look at it in a higher resolution.

“You have to understand the supporters want the team to keep improving and competing, so you can’t necessarily get worse. Which is a challenge because by definition if you sell players of high value, they are good players. Replacing them isn’t so easy. How do you do that? How do you ensure that the environment is good and that we can keep moving forward? It is very complex.”

These transfer dealings help massively as Brighton look to become more financially sustainable and less reliant on owner Tony Bloom.

“People say they don’t want to be a ‘selling club,’” says Potter. “Ok, but what is the alternative to that? You want to be a buying club? You will run out of money fairly quickly, then.”

So what are the reasons for Brighton’s success in the market? The first point to make is that players clearly improve under Potter’s management. The second point is that Brighton have shown a willingness to take chances. Players such as Caicedo and Tariq Lamptey (£3m from Chelsea) are low-risk investments that have grown in value, and few other Premier League clubs would have been willing to give them these opportunities on the pitch.

Potter describes it as being “brave” in recruitment, and indeed when it comes to selling. It is also about being clever: to use the example of Caicedo again, he was identified as Bissouma’s successor long before he was needed in the Premier League.

Brighton are also stubborn. They set valuations on players and refuse to budge. Arsenal learned as much last year when they repeatedly tried and failed to buy White for less than the £50m asking price.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Behind paywall:
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/08/12/how-brighton-became-masters-transfer-market/
I’d like to paste the whole piece, but will I get told off?

Here’s a chunk.

“It is almost a cliche in a way, that you don’t want to lose your best players,” says Potter. “By definition that is a true statement. But then you look at the alternative to that, which is to keep everybody. How does that affect the club? You have to look at it in a higher resolution.

“You have to understand the supporters want the team to keep improving and competing, so you can’t necessarily get worse. Which is a challenge because by definition if you sell players of high value, they are good players. Replacing them isn’t so easy. How do you do that? How do you ensure that the environment is good and that we can keep moving forward? It is very complex.”

These transfer dealings help massively as Brighton look to become more financially sustainable and less reliant on owner Tony Bloom.

“People say they don’t want to be a ‘selling club,’” says Potter. “Ok, but what is the alternative to that? You want to be a buying club? You will run out of money fairly quickly, then.”

So what are the reasons for Brighton’s success in the market? The first point to make is that players clearly improve under Potter’s management. The second point is that Brighton have shown a willingness to take chances. Players such as Caicedo and Tariq Lamptey (£3m from Chelsea) are low-risk investments that have grown in value, and few other Premier League clubs would have been willing to give them these opportunities on the pitch.

Potter describes it as being “brave” in recruitment, and indeed when it comes to selling. It is also about being clever: to use the example of Caicedo again, he was identified as Bissouma’s successor long before he was needed in the Premier League.

Brighton are also stubborn. They set valuations on players and refuse to budge. Arsenal learned as much last year when they repeatedly tried and failed to buy White for less than the £50m asking price.

You will definitely get told off, but there are many ways of getting round a paywall, some of which even old codgers know :wink:

Excellent article :thumbsup:

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I'd take issue with the implied criticism of our failure to land either Calvin Bassey or Darwin Nunez. In both cases it was our 'failure' to offer them Champions League football where things fell down.

taz

Feb 18, 2015
You will definitely get told off, but there are many ways of getting round a paywall, some of which even old codgers know :wink:

I would love to read the whole article, I don't want to put my bank details in for one free month and cant get past the pay wall,

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I would love to read the whole article, I don't want to put my bank details in for one free month and cant get past the pay wall,

This.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

If you had a 12 foot ladder, you could probably climb over the paywall. Have a look for one on Google.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill

Can you PM me and tell me how please?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The best thing about this is that the quotes come from Potter, rather than Weir, Barber or Bloom. It shows that GP is fully bought into the strategy and understands that his best players are likely to be sold.

When he does eventually move on, it's going to be tough to find someone who is equally as keen to take risks with youngsters and develop them as well as he has.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thanks for that. It is a strategy most of us are comfortable with by now. Perhaps the likes of posters on Blue Moon need to have a read though ?

Alternatively posters on NSC can come to terms with the fact all football supporters are myopic morons and t'inernet supporters are the most myopic morons of them all.

Quite why you feel the need to elevate a tranche of supporters from elsewhere, when you know just how much bollox gets written here, much of which is done in good faith, is beyond me.

Anyhoo loving the last paragraph - our team costing less than Utds new (shitehouse) centre back.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Alternatively posters on NSC can come to terms with the fact all football supporters are myopic morons and t'inernet supporters are the most myopic morons of them all.

Quite why you feel the need to elevate a tranche of supporters from elsewhere, when you know just how much bollox gets written here, much of which is done in good faith, is beyond me.

Anyhoo loving the last paragraph - our team costing less than Utds new (shitehouse) centre back.

Loads of bollocks gets written here. No disagreement there. However, NSC contributors who don’t understand our club’s business model are increasingly rare. After having read quite a few pages of the Blue Moon Cucurella thread it is apparent most of them don’t have a clue. Why would they though ? I stand by my comment.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loads of bollocks gets written here. No disagreement there. However, NSC contributors who don’t understand our club’s business model are increasingly rare. After having read quite a few pages of the Blue Moon Cucurella thread it is apparent most of them don’t have a clue. Why would they though ? I stand by my comment.

But it's a massive contradiction.

You know other teams fans don't have a clue.
You know other teams fans won't ever have a clue.

So why drag other teams fans into the discussion?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here