Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Manchester United Fans - A bit of perspective required

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
[tweet]1557097603246051336[/tweet]

You’d almost be mistaken for thinking their stadium is getting sold to developers, or their club is going out of business or something.

Must be hard not finishing amongst the top 4 best teams in England. Feel sorry for them.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Should we have some collection buckets to fund raise for them at our next game? I feel we should do something.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lots of talk on the radio today about the potential bid……supposedly £4-5 billion. Won’t be offering to help with a bucket collection any time soon :lolol:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
while I have no real sympathy for the entitled pricks of Manchester (Blue or Red) my understanding of how the Glaziers bought the club is that prior to the deal, Man Utd had no debt. The Glaziers borrowed the money to buy the club, and then gave that debt to the club, landing Man Utd something like half a BILLION pounds in debt, with massive interest payments and so on

In my mind thats just crazy. The Glaziers own UTD, bought with money they dont have, and can walk away, leaving the debt behind. It doesnt make sense to me, and I csan see why true fans of the club want them gone

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
while I have no real sympathy for the entitled pricks of Manchester (Blue or Red) my understanding of how the Glaziers bought the club is that prior to the deal, Man Utd had no debt. The Glaziers borrowed the money to buy the club, and then gave that debt to the club, landing Man Utd something like half a BILLION pounds in debt, with massive interest payments and so on

In my mind thats just crazy. The Glaziers own UTD, bought with money they dont have, and can walk away, leaving the debt behind. It doesnt make sense to me, and I csan see why true fans of the club want them gone

They bought the club with a mortgage on Old Trafford, an asset they didn't own until the deal had been completed. I can't fathom how that could be legal, but there you go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

This. The Glazers are the sort of horrible football club owners who should never pass the fit and proper person test. Football as a whole would be better off without them.

Unfortunately, most other PL owners are just as bad. I'm trying to think of decent EPL owners and, so far, have only got to Bloom, Benham and possibly Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha before that tragic helicopter crash.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
You’d almost be mistaken for thinking their stadium is getting sold to developers, or their club is going out of business or something.

Must be hard not finishing amongst the top 4 best teams in England. Feel sorry for them.

I find this interesting. If we continue to be successful, relatively speaking, it won't be long before we have a generation of fans so far removed from the Goldstone / Gillingham / Withdean years that their sense of perspective, of success, will have shifted from the sense of perspective we have now.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I find this interesting. If we continue to be successful, relatively speaking, it won't be long before we have a generation of fans so far removed from the Goldstone / Gillingham / Withdean years that their sense of perspective, of success, will have shifted from the sense of perspective we have now.

That ship sailed a few years ago!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Basket case of a club. They're the new Arsenal, permanent under-achievers. Right up there / down there with Spurs. The Big Six in the EPL is in reality The Big Three shirley

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Which in many ways will be a shame. I think those war years, and all the turmoil that we had to endure and finally overcome, has held us fans, and the club as a whole in good stead.

We probably know, more than any other Premier League club, that any success is hard won, and not handed to you on a plate.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

:laugh::ffsparr:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Incredible what a couple of bad results against a team like Brighton can do...:lolol:

Whilst appreciating that your club becoming a commodity is a horrible thing for football supporters to deal with, its easy to forget that sharks like the Glazers are just the inevitible result of the actions taken by previous Man Utd owners to make as much money as they possibly could out of owning a football club. The feted Edwards family who appointed Busby and Ferguson were the ones to float the club on the stock exchange. Tom Bower's 'Broken Dreams' describes how they:

"...had spent between £31,000 and £41,000 to purchase 54% of Manchester United's shares, and approximately £500,000 for a further 20%. After the floatation in 1991, the club was valued at £429 million. Martin Edwards earned £33 million on the shares he sold and he still retained a 15% stake."

With that kind of blood in the water, the sharks weren't going to take long to arrive. For the fans it's a difficult balance to rage against the ravages of venture capitalism, whilst celebrating the decades of success that were founded completely on capitalism red in tooth and claw. From outside its tempting to paraphrase Cloughie 'Throw all your medals in the bin because you've never won anything fairly; you've done it through selling yourselves to capitalists,' or to nick the punchline of an old joke: We already know what you are, we're just haggling about the price...

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017

:laugh::laugh::laugh: bloody hell, that is hilarious.

Slum_Wolf

May 3, 2021
Incredible what a couple of bad results against a team like Brighton can do...:lolol:

Whilst appreciating that your club becoming a commodity is a horrible thing for football supporters to deal with, its easy to forget that sharks like the Glazers are just the inevitible result of the actions taken by previous Man Utd owners to make as much money as they possibly could out of owning a football club. The feted Edwards family who appointed Busby and Ferguson were the ones to float the club on the stock exchange. Tom Bower's 'Broken Dreams' describes how they:

"...had spent between £31,000 and £41,000 to purchase 54% of Manchester United's shares, and approximately £500,000 for a further 20%. After the floatation in 1991, the club was valued at £429 million. Martin Edwards earned £33 million on the shares he sold and he still retained a 15% stake."

With that kind of blood in the water, the sharks weren't going to take long to arrive. For the fans it's a difficult balance to rage against the ravages of venture capitalism, whilst celebrating the decades of success that were founded completely on capitalism red in tooth and claw. From outside its tempting to paraphrase Cloughie 'Throw all your medals in the bin because you've never won anything fairly; you've done it through selling yourselves to capitalists,' or to nick the punchline of an old joke: We already know what you are, we're just haggling about the price...

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ere-happy-to-milk-united-cash-cow-483908.html

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They bought the club with a mortgage on Old Trafford, an asset they didn't own until the deal had been completed. I can't fathom how that could be legal, but there you go.

And have taken £100m in wages out of the club...

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
while I have no real sympathy for the entitled pricks of Manchester (Blue or Red) my understanding of how the Glazers bought the club is that prior to the deal, Man Utd had no debt. The Glazers borrowed the money to buy the club, and then gave that debt to the club, landing Man Utd something like half a BILLION pounds in debt, with massive interest payments and so on

In my mind thats just crazy. The Glazers own UTD, bought with money they dont have, and can walk away, leaving the debt behind. It doesnt make sense to me, and I csan see why true fans of the club want them gone

The debt will be taken into consideration for the price they receive when they sell, so the debt they've racked up will effectively be taken out of their pockets then (but meanwhile, the appreciation of the asset far outweighs the debt loading, so they will turn a huge profit by spending someone else's money. They just happened to be the owners of an asset that went up in value by about £4bn since they bought it. (not unlike the fortunate homeowners who have benefitted from the huge increase in house prices in the last 30 (40?) years.

It's the same with the mortgage on a house - the mortgage is based on the asset you are about to acquire (I'm not saying the situation is great BTW, but it's technically just the same as anyone's mortgage)

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
I like Manchester as a city and I’m a big fan of FC United, A good bunch of lads n lasses that don’t ask much as a “match day experience”
affordable, a few beers, meeting up with mates, standing where you like, a game of football with the rough being taken with smooth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here