Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] lease cars - minor damage insurance

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Hiya,

for the first time i'm leasing a car for a 3 year period. I fully expect that the leasing company will sting me thoroughly for any dints/scratches/chips etc when i hand it back so i'm considering taking out a minor damage insurance policy. has anyone done this, and if so could you answer a question that I have...

Is it possible to just take out the insurance in the final year, and get all work needed done then, or does the insurance company require the vehicle to be checked prior to accepting to ensure that any pre-existing damage is exempted from the policy?
I.e. should i take out a 3 year policy now? or a one year policy in the final year?

it just seems a little too simple to get all the work needed done through insurance shortly before returning the vehicle...

TIA.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would expect that the cover can only be taken out from delivery (or within a short period) of the vehicle.

I can't see any Insurer picking up pre existing damage.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You can't claim for any incident that occurred before the policy start date so no pre-existing scratches etc are covered. You can get 36 month cover. Few options out there if you Google.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Have you thought of self insuring and then getting the minor repairs done at the end of 3 years, or not as the case may be?

scooter1

How soon is now?
Most leasing companies will try and sell you GAP insurance which is supposed to cover minor damage based on what the value of the car would be without the damage. You can buy GAP insurance privately for about 10% of the cost, this might be the thing to investigate

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Most leasing companies will try and sell you GAP insurance which is supposed to cover minor damage based on what the value of the car would be without the damage. You can buy GAP insurance privately for about 10% of the cost, this might be the thing to investigate

I purchased gap alerts let for essentially write off and theft vs the depreciation for 1% of the vehicle value for the term of my lease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here