Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Storks in Sussex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
SpringWatch did one of my favourite pieces on the rewilding of stalks at Knepp estate. Don't quote me but i think they said it was the first Stalks living and breeding in the Uk for 500 years. Incredible. I love the reintroduction of animals we have lost like Beavers etc... let's bring back the Wolves and Bears :D

The link is in post 9. Over 600 years.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Just spent a few weeks in the Algarve where they nest on chimneys in towns. I hope they're still up in Hollingbury when I go up tomorrow. Amazing birds.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Knepp just up the A24, wouldn't surprised to see some down on Pulboro Wild Brooks RSPB Reserve in the future, just the sort of place they would like...

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Here we go again, man messing about with nature.
Weren't there hundreds of Mink released from Knepp a few years ago? How many are there now? None.
How many storks will be there in 5 years time? I'm guessing none as well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Weren't there hundreds of Mink released from Knepp a few years ago? How many are there now? None.

Mink are not natural to Britain, nor are grey squirrels. Storks were natural to Britain for thousands of years, and were made extinct so rewilding is restoring nature.
The same with beavers back in Dorset.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
There’s a reason why species disappear from places, and it’s usually something to do with humans. For a species to be successfully reintroduced there needs to be habitat for them to return to, and for the predators that wiped them out first time around to be absent.

I hope for success, but realistically fear the worst.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There’s a reason why species disappear from places, and it’s usually something to do with humans. For a species to be successfully reintroduced there needs to be habitat for them to return to, and for the predators that wiped them out first time around to be absent.

I hope for success, but realistically fear the worst.

They were wiped out by hunting. According to the rewilding project a few individuals would fly in from the continent every year but not breeding pairs.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton

What a bundle of joy you are. Amazing how people can put a negative spin on even the most lovely news.

Rewilding has worked with Beavers, Golden Eagles, Red Kites to name a few off the top of my head and i am sure there are a lot more than those.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mink are not natural to Britain, nor are grey squirrels. Storks were natural to Britain for thousands of years, and were made extinct so rewilding is restoring nature.
The same with beavers back in Dorset.

Beaver, in Dorset . . . Takes me back to my youth. . . Well, they were Guides by then and I was a Sea Scout. Mmm. 😂

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
[tweet]1557306947812167682[/tweet]

Yesterday evening, a load of them were on Hollingbury golf course, and this morning one was photographed flying over Lewes. They were introduced two years ago after over 600 years to the Knepp Estate and thriving.

If you are on FB, see the pictures on Brighton Skies.

Love the pair that hung around chilling after the other 35 took to the skies, then number 36 went...and number 37 strolled casually back into the empty stork house, doubtless thinking “Result”

:lolol:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
SpringWatch did one of my favourite pieces on the rewilding of stalks at Knepp estate. Don't quote me but i think they said it was the first Stalks living and breeding in the Uk for 500 years. Incredible. I love the reintroduction of animals we have lost like Beavers etc... let's bring back the Wolves and Bears :D

I quite fancy seeing the odd T-Rex wandering across the downs.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
These may well be the same birds although a fewer number.

[tweet]1557748136034144258[/tweet]

Some went east - Hastings

[tweet]1557740020030926848[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here