Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Question for beach anglers

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I was watching the fisherman on Seaford beach yesterday evening and two of them were live bait fishing using mackeral. What would they be hoping to catch?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I was watching the fisherman on Seaford beach yesterday evening and two of them were live bait fishing using mackeral. What would they be hoping to catch?

It's just a guess but it might be smooth hound. I don't fish myself, but my mate says that fishing for smooth hound is good all along this coast.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's just a guess but it might be smooth hound. I don't fish myself, but my mate says that fishing for smooth hound is good all along this coast.

Where does your friend think is the best plaice along the coast to catch smooth hound?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Bass. Smooth hound would be earlier in the season, and better fishing down at Selsey.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

They're part of the shark family, quite an exciting catch so I've heard, can have a fisherman over if they catch them out. Mackerel good, peeler crab apparently better.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Best bait for smoothound is peeler crab. Big bass take mackeral or whole calamari no more than 10 yards off the beach provided the conditions are right

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On a wider note, sea fishing is something that l might like to try, I've no real idea though of the best way to get started.

I used to fish as a kid off the west and east breakwaters in Newhaven. It's something I keep telling myself I'll do again but have never got around to....mainly as there's no sea where I live. I'll be interested to see the replies to your post.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I used to fish as a kid off the west and east breakwaters in Newhaven. It's something I keep telling myself I'll do again but have never got around to....mainly as there's no sea where I live. I'll be interested to see the replies to your post.

I just hope that l have the patience to carry on if l don't catch something within the first 20 minutes! To my mind the big attraction for sea fishing over freshwater angling as l see it, is being able to enjoy the fruits of you success by eating what you catch.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
At night on a making tide the bass come in really close to shore. They travel the gullies which run parallel to the beach. That's where all of the crap settles in provided the onshore wind is not much more than a breeze. You do however need to be close to your rod as even a 2lb bass can take it off the rest when they strike

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here