Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] José Cifuentes Ecuadorian midfielder

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In the interest of fairness we should leave some South American talent for others...or should we?

Don’t worry, they’ll be getting their hands on it soon enough, our five year contracts actually translate in Spanish as ‘Five months’

:lolol::amex::ffsparr::albion2:

Plus we add on our 'finders' premium onto the future sales price. We seem to have the best relationships with SA teams and agents of any club at the moment.

The challenges of ownership in that region seem to have put many clubs off, but we've been able to recruit Mac Allister, Caicedo, Enciso and Arce, and must have the best handle on how to recruit from South America of any European team.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Warren, if you're reading this, I've got a plan which might work.

The club has clearly got it in for you, so you need to play them at their own game.
Just give the new players a nickname, and let Johnny Cantor explain what they mean.

Jose Cifuentes - Jiffy.
Sasa Kalajdzic - Titch.
Pervis Estupinan - Perv.

Job's a good'un.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Plus we add on our 'finders' premium onto the future sales price. We seem to have the best relationships with SA teams and agents of any club at the moment.

The challenges of ownership in that region seem to have put many clubs off, but we've been able to recruit Mac Allister, Caicedo, Enciso and Arce, and must have the best handle on how to recruit from South America of any European team.

I'm all for pro-albion sentiment but I think to say we're the best in Europe at recruiting from South America is a bit short sighted. We do seem to do it the best out of the premier league teams but other European teams like Benfica, Porto, Shaktar and Real Madrid have been doing it since we were in league one so I'd imagine they have a pretty good handle on it

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Warren, if you're reading this, I've got a plan which might work.

The club has clearly got it in for you, so you need to play them at their own game.
Just give the new players a nickname, and let Johnny Cantor explain what they mean.

Jose Cifuentes - Jiffy.
Sasa Kalajdzic - Titch.
Pervis Estupinan - Perv.

Job's a good'un.

I'm in favour of a simple translation when possible.

Cifuentes could be Joey Fountains, Alzate is Stevie Rise Up and Sarmiento becomes Jeremy Vine.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'm all for pro-albion sentiment but I think to say we're the best in Europe at recruiting from South America is a bit short sighted. We do seem to do it the best out of the premier league teams but other European teams like Benfica, Porto, Shaktar and Real Madrid have been doing it since we were in league one so I'd imagine they have a pretty good handle on it

Porto in particular are an absolute talent machine

levs

Jul 10, 2017
Porto in particular are an absolute talent machine

Yeah they're probably the best when you look at the list of players. They've signed Falcao, James Rodriguez, Hulk, Luis Diaz and Anderson direct from South American sides. Although Real Madrid's have probably won more trophies.

Real Madrid - Higuain, Vinicius Jnr, Rodrygo, Robinho and Marcelo

Benfica - Di Maria, David Luiz, Ramires and Gaitan

Shakthar - Fernandinho, Douglas Costa, Willian, Fred and Alex Teixiera

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
We can already field a full 5 in midfield of South Americans:

Enciso Alzate Caicedo MacAllister Sarmiento

Add this lad the to middle, then Sarmiento (or Ale) can push forward to support (Argentina-qualified) Maupay.

Where are the South American DEFENDERS for heaven's sake?! Ashworth OUT.

Sussex by the ‘Si’

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

yeah probably, though the language thing would definitely give them a helping hand. in terms of non-iberian clubs, us an shaktar must be up there.

levs

Jul 10, 2017
yeah probably, though the language thing would definitely give them a helping hand. in terms of non-iberian clubs, us an shaktar must be up there.

Yeah good point, I cant think of many more although Watford have signed a few such as Richarlison and Joao Pedro. Bayer Leverkusen also have a pretty good record, Lucio, Ze Roberto, Palacios, Alario, Hincapie and Paulinho

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Dunno if he is any good, but he is Ecuadorian, so I'm in.

He passes the Potter test!
42ad0f8ec198f740e624bdacf258cbe7.png

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yeah good point, I cant think of many more although Watford have signed a few such as Richarlison and Joao Pedro. Bayer Leverkusen also have a pretty good record, Lucio, Ze Roberto, Palacios, Alario, Hincapie and Paulinho

And there's PSV with Romario, Ronaldo, Alex, Heurhelo Gomes and Jefferson Farfan. Ajax with Maxwell, David Neres, Antony, Luis Suarez, Nicola Tagliafico, Lisandro Martinez and others. Roma with Alisson, Marquinhos, Mancini, Cafu, Walter Samuel and certainly a bunch of others. Inter and Javier Zanetti, Julio Cesar, Adriano, Alvaro Recoba, and Milan/Lazio always have a bunch of old very familiar names. Also bunches go through the leagues with no or little rules regarding foreign players. In pretty much any Belgian team you can find like half a dozen South Americans.

But it has traditionally been a small market for English clubs, something bound to change with the Brexit WP-rule changes... Brighton are just way ahead of the other English clubs.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
And there's PSV with Romario, Ronaldo, Alex, Heurhelo Gomes and Jefferson Farfan. Ajax with Maxwell, David Neres, Antony, Luis Suarez, Nicola Tagliafico, Lisandro Martinez and others. Roma with Alisson, Marquinhos, Mancini, Cafu, Walter Samuel and certainly a bunch of others. Inter and Javier Zanetti, Julio Cesar, Adriano, Alvaro Recoba, and Milan/Lazio always have a bunch of old very familiar names. Also bunches go through the leagues with no or little rules regarding foreign players. In pretty much any Belgian team you can find like half a dozen South Americans.

But it has traditionally been a small market for English clubs, something bound to change with the Brexit WP-rule changes... Brighton are just way ahead of the other English clubs.

But how many of those did they sign direct from South America?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You know we've arrived when players are swapping Hollywood for Lancing.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Yep. Agreed. I was a little over enthusiastic. Counties that speak the local language and have historic (colonial) ties have the advantage.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

This one would involve dealing with a North American club though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here