Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Energy bills to top £4200 at the start of next year

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It's not great but with our winters being so mild there's virtually no need to put the heating on during our winters these days, and our electric usage isn't huge.

Just cut down on certain things and make sure things are turned off at night.

Biggest bugger is the standing charge which for us has been higher than our energy usage since February. Affordable but a pain since we've cut back so much.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I am paying £145 a month for both and am in credit for £485 . Is this too much to be in credit or is it sensible. Are you in credit or debit ?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
It's not great but with our winters being so mild there's virtually no need to put the heating on during our winters these days, and our electric usage isn't huge.

Biggest bugger is the standing charge which for us has been higher than our energy usage since February. Affordable but a pain since we've cut back so much.

Feel like that's a massive generalisation.

I struggle hugely to keep my feet and hands warm in the winter, even with the heating on.

blue-afro-man

Nov 25, 2013
Yes massively concerned. I’m a single parent and I’m already down to one meal a day, that’s without any heating on. I always make sure my kids eat well, are clean and are clothed. I really don’t know how I can manage. Found myself searching for food banks this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I love snow etc, but I really hope we see zero snow / cold spells this winter. A cold winter could be deadly for many people this time round.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

That £4,200 figure is based on usage data for an average household, which takes into account our winter. Last year is was ~£1,300, so its gone up over 3x, which yours will do to, or will do if you need to revise any fixed tariff.

Yes it will be possible to reduce consumption, some more than others, but costs are going up.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Yes massively concerned. I’m a single parent and I’m already down to one meal a day, that’s without any heating on. I always make sure my kids eat well, are clean and are clothed. I really don’t know how I can manage. Found myself searching for food banks this morning.

Good man. Best of luck. As has been mentioned, this new austerity will be extremely hard on millions.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's a very horrible prospect for many. Hopefully few of us can imagine sticking a cherished real amount of available money on a pre-paid meter, then watching it drain away to nothing every time you cook your kids a meal or give them a bath. It's a vile situation that has no place in a civilised society

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am paying £145 a month for both and am in credit for £485 . Is this too much to be in credit or is it sensible. Are you in credit or debit ?

Due to a sizable credit, I am now paying £10 a month for gas, rather than letting the credit build up even more.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We are fortunate. I don't earn a BAD wage and my wife has part time work. Thankfully one of the kids is finishing nursery this year so that's some money back.

Yesterday I called around some of my various suppliers (Sky, O2, BT etc). Not pleading poverty but just seeing if there was anything I could do on cutting costs where possible. I imagine they are getting loads of these and were all really helpful. In the end I ended up moving o2 phones to Sky and also agreeing an additional discount with Sky and BT.

I hadn't held much hope as I wasn't morally willing to lay on a thick sob story (as there are people REALLY struggling) and I already had mega discounts in place (thank you Martin Lewis) but worth a try

Total monthly saving of £40 for about 30 mins on the phone. Yes it won't plug the gap caused by the energy increases but certainly worth the calls.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I'm really sorry to read this. I wish you all the best.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

I'm not sure I'm with you regarding mild winters. We're in Somerset, which logically should be one of the mildest areas of the country - but we tried to drastically cut down on the central heating in Feb/March and it wasn't fun! My wife and I both work mainly from home, and often resorted to blankets and hot water bottles. During the day we had a couple of hours of central heating, but otherwise got pretty cold. For this winter we're creating a "snug" in a small spare room where we can watch tv, etc without having the central heating on. We're reasonably well off, and could actually afford to pay the £4,000+ pa, but it seems a monstrous waste of money. I'm getting pretty concerned about the many millions who definitely can't afford it. The fact that the government doesn't yet seem to understand this looming crisis is testimony to how out of touch our so-called leaders are.

PS: The standing charge issue is a good point - our Electricity standing charge went up by over 100% on 1 April. I've heard the reasons why this happened, but don't agree with how Ofgem has handled this. High standing charges are effectively a hugely regressive tax on the poorer in society.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Very best wishes my friend. Use every available bit of help going to provide for you and your kids, including food banks

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
PS: The standing charge issue is a good point - our Electricity standing charge went up by over 100% on 1 April. I've heard the reasons why this happened, but don't agree with how Ofgem has handled this. High standing charges are effectively a hugely regressive tax on the poorer in society.

This... surely the progressive way is smaller standing charges and other costs incorporated into the usage charges?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
The bit that I don’t understand is the government put a Levi on the oil and gas industries which it gave to us not directly but via our energy supplier to pay part of our increased energy bill, is it me or does that not make sense

Person A gives five pounds to person B who gives it back to person A

would it have been easier just to put a cap on the profit, which effectively is what France is doing by nationalising there energy companies so they can stop the profiteering and keep increased to just 4% while ours are 53% and rising

Last edited:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’d urge everyone to really check how their water / heating systems are programmed. So many I know have them set to come on for way longer than needed. Even we’ve dropped the water down to 30 mins morning & evening and it’s been enough for showers, washing up etc. Even so far it’s helped usage drop

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

PM sent :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The bit that I don’t understand is the government put a Levi on the oil and gas industries which it gave to us not directly but via our energy supplier to pay part of our increased energy bill, is it me or does that not make sense

This government making sense? It does not take a jean-ius to work this out.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I'm not sure I'm with you regarding mild winters. We're in Somerset, which logically should be one of the mildest areas of the country - but we tried to drastically cut down on the central heating in Feb/March and it wasn't fun! My wife and I both work mainly from home, and often resorted to blankets and hot water bottles. During the day we had a couple of hours of central heating, but otherwise got pretty cold. For this winter we're creating a "snug" in a small spare room where we can watch tv, etc without having the central heating on. We're reasonably well off, and could actually afford to pay the £4,000+ pa, but it seems a monstrous waste of money. I'm getting pretty concerned about the many millions who definitely can't afford it. The fact that the government doesn't yet seem to understand this looming crisis is testimony to how out of touch our so-called leaders are.

I’ve just checked my past bills. The stat you quoted about your electricity standing charge seems quite dramatic. Ours went up by a similar amount but the 28 days at 22.38p a day equates to £6.27 in Feb/March and 31 days at 45.31 p a day in May/June came to £14.05. It’s a serious situation but people shouldn’t think the standing charge issue makes lower energy consumption a pointless effort. We can and should save energy where possible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here