Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ref watch

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
drew;10345243[B said:
]It was trialled before being introduced here. [/B] It was used in the 2018 world cup and in other major European leagues before we introduced it here. The problem is the operators, not the system. As VAR, Brooks had two possible correct decisions, tell Tierney it was a penalty or to tell him to check the pitch side screen himself. He did neither which showed he had no understanding of the rules. I haven't seen one pundit, including an ex ref who didn't think it was a penalty. And let's be honest, the union of refs and former refs normally stand by each other even in the face of overwhelming incriminating evidence!!

I think that's the main problem. I know technically football is football, but there are different interpretations of VAR in different leagues and competitions so to not trial it in some form in the PL – pre-season games, or something, maybe? – using the people that would be in charge of it when it goes live in bonkers. It's all very well teaching them, but not having some kind of real-world evaluation of it always seemed daft to me.

The only person I've spoken to who didn't think it was a penalty was one of the Bobkin Jnr –*and he was basing it on watching it live on his phone. When he saw it again on MoTD, he soon changed his opinion.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
No, not at all. I'm saying bin it because it fails at one of it's main reasons for existing – to clear up confusion/debate about some decisions made by referees. Also, it leads to more chat about VAR decisions, rather than the actual football itself.

Of course perfection is impossible and humans make mistakes, but when examples such as the obvious foul in the box the other day are not looked at and overturned, what's the point? It was a BLATANT penalty. When I think of some that have been awarded against Brighton, it's laughable, that something like that example should just be dismissed in seconds. Dunk doing that to Rashford and it's a penalty EVERY SINGLE TIME.

One particular one was at OT 4 or 5 years ago. Think it was Bong that gave a slight nudge to Pogba - very very soft

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Are you saying that it needs binning off because it doesn't yield perfection?
If so, you have overambitious expectations.
Would you want to bin a referee because they don't deliver perfection?

I'm 100% with Greg....VAR should be binned. There are so many goals where we now lose the ability to go mental and celebrate because of the VAR risk. This removes the biggest intoxicating pleasure which brings us back game after game....We want to be there for those moments. And, if a player is offside / onside by a toenail and the lino misses it, I don't mind...it's part of the game. And, VAR has left us with almost as many incorrect or questionable decisions as we used to have without it.

So, I'm on the side of bin it. I could just about see possibly having a ' VAR light ', where incredibly outrageous, even more than clear and obvious, decisions are overturned. Things like the hand of god, especially because that was a clearly intentional foul. But if this level of VAR isn't possible, then please bin it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Funnily enough, we once had a ref make the schoolboy error of actually awarding us a penalty against United, for a similar (though significantly LESS blatant) push, on Connolly at the Amex.

Obviously on that occasion, the VAR was quick to get themselves involved, to remind the on-field ref, of the correct order of things.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm 100% with Greg....VAR should be binned. There are so many goals where we now lose the ability to go mental and celebrate because of the VAR risk. This removes the biggest intoxicating pleasure which brings us back game after game....We want to be there for those moments. And, if a player is offside / onside by a toenail and the lino misses it, I don't mind...it's part of the game. And, VAR has left us with almost as many incorrect or questionable decisions as we used to have without it.

So, I'm on the side of bin it. I could just about see possibly having a ' VAR light ', where incredibly outrageous, even more than clear and obvious, decisions are overturned. Things like the hand of god, especially because that was a clearly intentional foul. But if this level of VAR isn't possible, then please bin it.

I like goal line technology but I dislike VAR for exactly the same reasons.

If the joy-sucking had actually produced more accurately officiated games, less controversy and fewer big six decisions then I'd be significantly more in favour of it, but it simply hasn't. It has produced just as much controversy, interpretations of offside that are simply WRONG (level is onside and benefit should be given to the attacker), silly and constant tweaks to the handball rules and a game on Sunday where we in the away end were biting our fingernails away because of two dreadful big six decisions - Welbeck stopped (and Ronaldo / Rashford not stopped in the second half for the same thing) and a blatant penalty not given, incorrectly according to pretty much every pundit including Dermot Gallgher. Either one of those could have led to us being 3 rather 2 up - though I accept our penalty conversion rate isn't the best and Welbz still had a lot to do with the through ball.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I think that's the main problem. I know technically football is football, but there are different interpretations of VAR in different leagues and competitions so to not trial it in some form in the PL – pre-season games, or something, maybe? – using the people that would be in charge of it when it goes live in bonkers. It's all very well teaching them, but not having some kind of real-world evaluation of it always seemed daft to me.

The only person I've spoken to who didn't think it was a penalty was one of the Bobkin Jnr –*and he was basing it on watching it live on his phone. When he saw it again on MoTD, he soon changed his opinion.[/QUOTEp

It was either the first or second season in the PL that we played at OT, that Man U scored after a corner, and MOTD that evening spent a minute explaining why the ball had definitely gone out of play for the corner ( not sure it had….), but conveniently glossed over Gaton Bong was kicked off the ball by Lukaku? Was a definite Red but no VAR at that time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here