Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ref watch

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Blimey Gallagher actually goes against the ref, says it should have been a sending off for the tackle and it was a penalty. Which would have been a second booking so another sending off.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
[tweet]1556592679458332672[/tweet]

What a load of bollocks......teething problems on the opening day!! We've had VAR for 2 seasons now.

It wasn't given because it was against Utd at Old Trafford simple as!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Blimey Gallagher actually goes against the ref, says it should have been a sending off for the tackle and it was a penalty. Which would have been a second booking so another sending off.

The McTominay challenge is the definition of 'endangering an opponent'. Its a red, 100%.

The push in Wellbeck's back is absolutely a penalty, too - but I disagree that it warranted a second yellow. It is a clumsy foul, but it isn't particularly malicious, dangerous or cynical, and there is nothing that says a foul that concedes a penalty carries a mandatory yellow.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

What a load of bollocks......teething problems on the opening day!! We've had VAR for 2 seasons now.

Isn't the 'clear and obvious' thing, more along the lines of did the ref make a clear and obvious error in real time, not if when watching on TV it's an obvious error?

It's a fine line between the two, but I think it could be argued that the ref, from where he was, reasonably thought it wasn't a foul. That might have been more the case this season as apparently more contact is allowed, hence the "teething problems" mentioned.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Isn't the 'clear and obvious' thing, more along the lines of did the ref make a clear and obvious error in real time, not if when watching on TV it's an obvious error?

It's a fine line between the two, but I think it could be argued that the ref, from where he was, reasonably thought it wasn't a foul. That might have been more the case this season as apparently more contact is allowed, hence the "teething problems" mentioned.

I have absolutely no doubt that the ref would have given a penalty if the situation been in the Brighton box. He was either a cheat or a coward….

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The McTominay challenge is the definition of 'endangering an opponent'. Its a red, 100%.

The push in Wellbeck's back is absolutely a penalty, too - but I disagree that it warranted a second yellow. It is a clumsy foul, but it isn't particularly malicious, dangerous or cynical, and there is nothing that says a foul that concedes a penalty carries a mandatory yellow.

I have long been amazed that McThug even gets a game for United. He is everything a traditional United player isn’t. At least Keane had skill and ability at the top level to go with his thuggishness. McThug only has thuggishness on what I’ve seen of him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I have long been amazed that McThug even gets a game for United. He is everything a traditional United player isn’t. At least Keane had skill and ability at the top level to go with his thuggishness. McThug only has thuggishness on what I’ve seen of him.

He really should have been sent off not just yesterday, but also in the game at the Amex. He's horrendous.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I've no problem with the ref not giving it on the field. What I don't understand, like the lot on the panel in the video, is how VAR haven't watched it and at least got him to go and have a look at the monitor. Same applies for McTominay's tackle.

I hate VAR and the game would be better off without it IMO but if we've got to have it then bloody well use it!!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I've no problem with the ref not giving it on the field. What I don't understand, like the lot on the panel in the video, is how VAR haven't watched it and at least got him to go and have a look at the monitor. Same applies for McTominay's tackle.

I hate VAR and the game would be better off without it IMO but if we've got to have it then bloody well use it!!

Isn't the bolded bit key though?

If you can see why it wasn't given in real time, from the ref's perspective on the field, then it wasn't a clear and obvious error, in which case the VAR shouldn't intervene?

Edit: although should/could the lino (who was useless) have picked this up?

Last edited:

bWize

Nov 6, 2007
One of the few times where I have been 100% convinced the ref was cheating. On top of completely wrong decisions he didn't even try and hide the fact he was crooked with his constant grinning and body language. The tackle was a clear red and could have easily been career ending. Also the clear penalty where he just smirked and played on. Should be investigated.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

If you can see why it wasn't given in real time, from the ref's perspective on the field, then it wasn't a clear and obvious error, in which case the VAR shouldn't intervene?

It was a clear and obvious error, regardless of how the ref saw it, isn't that the point of VAR?

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020

Gallagher nailed it when he said the Ref should have said 'i thought it was shoulder to shoulder' and VAR should have replied ' No it wasn't, you should take a look '.

Also surprised the Lino didn't spot it too..

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

That's hilarious, bordering on ridiculous. "It is [obvious] to me and you. And it is to Stephen and Sue. I spoke to a lot of people who thought it was a penalty." So basically everyone who sees it thinks it is a penalty, but it wasn't given because VAR wants to 'raise the bar'?!

If the situation was in reverse – or if it was anywhere else on the pitch – it's a foul 100%.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It was a clear and obvious error, regardless of how the ref saw it, isn't that the point of VAR?

No, I don't think it is, although I don't know for sure!

If you can look at something and say 'I can see why the ref didn't give that', despite TV replays from other angles showing a foul, then that is not defined as 'a clear and obvious error'. As such, VAR has no remit.

I thought VAR is to prevent massive cock ups, where you think 'how did the ref not give that', or where the ref cocked up by being in completely the wrong place.

In this case you can see why the ref didn't give it, so no VAR. But I could be wrong on all that!

Also, the lino should have seen it clear as day, but I'm not sure they have authority to call a foul/penalty?

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Didn't the players all have to return to the pitch after the final whistle for a VAR-awarded penalty once?

Now, who was that against?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Can't blame the ref. The issue is VAR's involvement here.

The issue which left me MOST angry, and which won't ever be reviewed again, was the one where Welbeck plucked the ball out the sky, went through on goal and the lino put their flag up. Why on earth was that not allowed to continue. On replay it was SO CLOSE yet the linespeople will keep their flags down and let play go on even when EVERYONE in the stadium knows a player is about 5 yards offside.

Madness.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
No, I don't think it is, although I don't know for sure!

If you can look at something and say 'I can see why the ref didn't give that', despite TV replays from other angles showing a foul, then that is not defined as 'a clear and obvious error'. As such, VAR has no remit.

I thought VAR is to prevent massive cock ups, where you think 'how did the ref not give that', or where the ref cocked up by being in completely the wrong place.

In this case you can see why the ref didn't give it, so no VAR. But I could be wrong on all that!

Also, the lino should have seen it clear as day, but I'm not sure they have authority to call a foul/penalty?

I can't find the twitter clip of the incident. Call me biased (of course I am!) but I would have 100% expected a penalty against the Albion if the situations had been reversed. In my eyes that shove in the back was a nailed on penalty, and no I wouldn't have moaned about it for one second (other than to curse our defender) if we conceded one like that :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here