[Football] National Football Museum

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Anyone else been?

Spent Saturday afternoon in the National Football Museum in Manchester as an appetiser before the game. Have to say it was brilliant. Less than £20 for me and the boy to get in and you get a free return for a year included.

Some very good exhibits, some original minutes from the FA when the laws of the game were created, some very special shirts, loads of interactive stuff including best ever England goals, iconic radio clips from every club (five of ours, quite guessable what they are) and national ones, as well as some funnies, like the time Alan Green had to go back to his car. Great football skills games for the kids, a penalty shoot out that adults get involved in too and a dedicated section on the women's game.

All the staff appear to be football fans. Were checked in by a guy who asked who we supported and when we said "Brighton" said, "ah, you're the enemy" to which I replied "yes, but is that because of tomorrow or because we wouldn't sell you Cucurella". Anyway, the info of where we came from led to one of the girls working there telling us she was from Lewes and, sure enough, Lewes feature in the women's game section.

All that and managed to pick up a programme from the iconic Blackpool game in 78 where Spuds and Stains cheated us out of promotion.

Highly recommended if you are in the Manchester area, particularly if you have football mad kids.

And I'm told a DULLARD was once interviewed there.......

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's fantastic, I visited before we played City midweek a couple of years back. It really is a cracking museum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I went many many years ago when it was in Preston...at least I think it is the same museum. Must have been 20 years ago now. Like everyone is saying it was excellent. I also recall it didnt gloss over any of the more darker periods of English football. In this latter respect, is it still the same?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I went many many years ago when it was in Preston...at least I think it is the same museum. Must have been 20 years ago now. Like everyone is saying it was excellent. I also recall it didnt gloss over any of the more darker periods of English football. In this latter respect, is it still the same?

There's an interactive audio/visual display with interviews from old football fans including an old guy who talks about Millwall fully taking a Charlton end and a bloke in a Lacoste about the casual firm days. Big display of weapons seized in the 70s and 80s. Also items / tributes on Bradford and Hillsborough. So, yes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There's an interactive audio/visual display with interviews from old football fans including an old guy who talks about Millwall fully taking a Charlton end and a bloke in a Lacoste about the casual firm days. Big display of weapons seized in the 70s and 80s. Also items / tributes on Bradford and Hillsborough. So, yes.

Thanks. If anything it seems to have been enhanced; I do not remember a display of weapons etc.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes great day out. Even my missus not really a football fan really enjoyed it

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
I find all these positive comments surprising as I found the museum very underwhelming. The Michael Jackson statue with its unfeasibly long arms (which once graced Craven Cottage) was the only major highlight for me. I thought that it had a limited range and limited number of exhibits considering what a massive subject it is.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
Thanks. If anything it seems to have been enhanced; I do not remember a display of weapons etc.

Yes the display of weapons was disproportionately large compared to their significance in British football; if you wanted to illustrate the main weapons in the bad old days of widespread football violence you'd have a case full of Doctor Martens, coins and Puma trainers...

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here