Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 7th - 10th

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Assuming the big 6 are the top 6 who’s in the running for best of the rest?

Promoted teams - probably not.
Wolves - see the the thread on them
Everton - expected to struggle
Aston Villa - could do well?
Crystal Palace - can they cope without Gallagher?
Newcastle - will unfortunately do well
West Ham - expected to do well
Leeds - expected to struggle?
Brentford - second season syndrome?
Leicester - seem to have problems
Southampton - not convinced
Us - hopefully

So West Ham, Newcastle, Aston Villa and us for the race for the best of the rest?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Us - hopefully

So West Ham, Newcastle, Aston Villa and us for the race for the best of the rest?

On paper, that feels indeed reasonable. But then there's always some team doing a lot better than people think, and I have a feeling Leicester will - despite issues - challenge for top 10 as well.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Without meaning to be a downer after yesterday's great result, United were a complete shambles particularly in the first half yesterday, despite us capatalising brilliantly. Think the game vs the Geordies will be a much tougher assingment particularly given, based on recent seasons, we're better away than we are at home; and how we perform will give us a better indication of where we're at after losing Biss and Cucurella imo.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Can't see Villa involved, they are positively dire at present

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can't see Villa involved, they are positively dire at present

And yet they feature strongly on most writers' predictions for the season. All the pundits I've seen have them finishing higher than us. Why? They've made no major new signings in the close season and they hovered close to relegation. What has changed?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
West Ham and Newcastle are our main competition and I suspect the three of us will finish within a few points of each other. Always someone that has a surprisingly good set of results though, even when not playing that well, Wolves last season.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Having seen United yesterday, I'm certainly not convinced they're a top 6 team.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
And yet they feature strongly on most writers' predictions for the season. All the pundits I've seen have them finishing higher than us. Why? They've made no major new signings in the close season and they hovered close to relegation. What has changed?
Writers still seem to rate gerrard. I don't. Garbage. Losing to bmuff 2-0 is a truly dire start to the season.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

If you think Gerrard is a decent manager, then you would expect maybe a year of work will give him a squad more attuned to what he wants from them, but I don't know if he really is particularly good,

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015

Us - hopefully

You're assuming Utd are one of the "Big 6". Perhaps we should be looking at 5th to 10th.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
West Ham in a state of flux with ingoings and outgoings. Sucek has lost form; they were woeful yesterday, simply letting City have the ball;

Newcastle well led and if their Welbeck (aka Wilson) keeps fit will be one to watch. 3rd most wins in PL in 2022.

Meh the rest.

TBH, if we dont get injuries or losses of form, we could well improve on last season. It is not ridiculously optimistic to see top 5, then Man U (surely cant be crap all season), Newcastle, and us vying for minor Europe places.

Dec 29, 2011
Without being too negative I think we will struggle this season. We were noticeably weaker down the left side yesterday and we'll need Welbeck and Caicedo to perform at their best every week which is going to be a tall order. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I'd predict a 14th place finish this year.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Agree, us Newcastle and Wet Sham with possibly Villa are fighting for the 7-10th place.

For me, finishing 10th this season is still progress. Yes it's 1 place less but it's still that coveted top half.

Progress because we'd have bought players who we'd have developed and sold for huge wonga and yet maintained our position as a top ten club. Progress because it's TBs and PBs vision for the club coming to fruition.

Can only help with the recruitment of talent, despite what the City fans say

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

They signed centre back Diego Carlos from Sevilla for nearly 30 million quid plus brought in France international Boubacar Kamara on a free. On top of that they made Coutinho's loan permanent and the likes of Buendía and Bailey have had a year to bed in.

Since promotion they must have spent close to 300 million of transfer fees alone so "on paper" should have a decent squad. But whether they've bought smartly and whether Gerrard can get a tune out of them is another matter.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
You're assuming Utd are one of the "Big 6". Perhaps we should be looking at 5th to 10th.

They are still one of the big 6 in terms of finances, reputation, ground size etc. But that doesn’t mean they’ll definitely finish in the top 6. Although I think they probably will.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree, us Newcastle and Wet Sham with possibly Villa are fighting for the 7-10th place.

For me, finishing 10th this season is still progress. Yes it's 1 place less but it's still that coveted top half.

Progress because we'd have bought players who we'd have developed and sold for huge wonga and yet maintained our position as a top ten club. Progress because it's TBs and PBs vision for the club coming to fruition.

Can only help with the recruitment of talent, despite what the City fans say

Agree but I'll add a decent run in a cup. Top 10 and a cup semi will be deemed very successful in my mind.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Without being too negative I think we will struggle this season. We were noticeably weaker down the left side yesterday and we'll need Welbeck and Caicedo to perform at their best every week which is going to be a tall order. Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I'd predict a 14th place finish this year.

I think you're worrying unduly. He started with an unfamiliar defensive set up and with none of the new boys, yet we were 2-0 at Old Trafford before half time. We've got 4 or 5 previously unseen players all raring to go and I can't believe one or two of them won't have a positive effect on the team.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think the big 6 will be as clear cut. This sounds like a big call, but I can see Utd being bottom half by the time of the world cup and axing Ten Hag. I wasn't impressed with Arsenal either.

West Ham or Newcastle are best placed to make an incursion into the top 6. But there's no reason at all why it couldn't be us and I see those two clubs as our "stretch" rivals for this season

I don't fancy Palace, Leicester or Wolves to make it over 50 points. Villa I think will do better than any of those

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I don't think we'll struggle (unlike Lee Hendrie who yesterday said – or tried to say (it was a bit of a word salad) – we could go down), but I think it's a *little* bit early to start predicting, with any confidence, the top half of the PL table.

But them I'm Team #OneGameAtATime, so...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here