Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Man Utd v Albion

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: Old Trafford
Date: Sunday 7th August 2022
Kick-off: 14:00 BST
Referee: Paul Tierney
Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis, Neil Davies
Fourth Official: Michael Salisbury
VAR: John Brooks
Additional VAR: Timothy Wood

TEAM NEWS

Manchester United forward Cristiano Ronaldo could be involved, despite featuring for just 45 minutes in pre-season.

Anthony Martial is out with a hamstring strain, but Jadon Sancho and Luke Shaw have both recovered from illness.

Brighton midfielder Alexis Mac Allister will be available after shaking off a recent groin issue.

Jakub Moder is the only long-term absentee and remains sidelined with the knee injury he picked up last season.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Manchester United will open a top-flight season against Brighton for the first time.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost six of their last seven Premier League games against United, but did record an emphatic 4-0 home win in their last meeting in May.
    [*=left]The Seagulls have never won in 14 visits to Old Trafford, losing 12 of those trips, including the last eight in a row.
Man Utd

• [*=left]Manchester United have won their first Premier League match in 10 of the past 13 seasons (L3), including a 5-1 against Leeds United last term.
    [*=left]The Red Devils have won 20 matches on the opening Premier League weekend, more than any other club.
    [*=left]Erik ten Hag will be the eighth manager (including caretakers) to take charge of Manchester United in the nine years since Sir Alex Ferguson retired. Six of the previous seven won their first match in charge.
    [*=left]The last five Dutchmen to manage in the Premier League have lost their opening game. Only one Dutch manager has won on his debut - Guus Hiddink with Chelsea at Aston Villa in February 2009.
    [*=left]Bruno Fernandes has four goals and two assists in five Premier League appearances against Brighton.
Albion

• [*=left]The Seagulls have lost all 10 Premier League games they've played in Manchester - five against United and five versus City.
    [*=left]None of Brighton's opening Premier League matches in the past five seasons have finished level (W2, L3).
    [*=left]Graham Potter's side lost just one of their final nine games last season (W5, D3).
    [*=left]They had the fifth-best away record in the top flight last term, losing just four times (W7, D8).
    [*=left]Pascal Gross has scored in all three of Brighton's wins over Manchester United and has a total of four goals against the Red Devils.

Graham Potter's Man Utd Press Conference

[tweet]1556248846119976960[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/OfficialBHAFC/status/1556248846119976960

Last edited:

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
First game of the season! The time to have our pre season optimism crushed or fuelled to wildy unsustainable heights. I can't wait!

(Although the ten defeats out of ten in Manchester doesn't bode well)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nervous and excited

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I will be getting to York for an overnight stay on my way to Edinburgh at kick off time, so will try and find a pub with it on and catch the second half.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Well done Dick . I knew we could rely on you for a match day thread.
I cannot expect anything out of this game . Man U are prepared,determined to get a good start with new manager and smarting from the drubbing they got last May.
We have a weaker squad and they have the ability to hurt us . If we get a point, that would be excellent.
Of course I would love to be proved wrong....

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Well done Dick . I knew we could rely on you for a match day thread.
I cannot expect anything out of this game . Man U are prepared,determined to get a good start with new manager and smarting from the drubbing they got last May.
We have a weaker squad and they have the ability to hurt us . If we get a point, that would be excellent.
Of course I would love to be proved wrong....

That just about sums it up for me too. I think we can hurt them up to getting the ball in the box. Putting it in the net……? Still not sure.
Our tendency to give the ball away cheaply in transition is part and parcel of our playing style but if you sometimes give cheap goals away you have to score them the other end.

A defeat today isn’t especially important. How we play is which is something I feel reasonably confident about…………right up to scoring (or not)

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Here we go! Oh

Will the TenHaag press be fully installed today, could see a very different United today then again they could be shit

1-1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Strangely confident today which is not a good sign as I am rubbish at predictions. It's the hope that kills you.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Here we go! Oh

Will the TenHaag press be fully installed today, could see a very different United today then again they could be shit

1-1

If Ronaldo plays then the press is a no-no. Of course he has the ability to hurt us and write him off at our peril, but no way he can play 90 mins and his heart doesn't appear to be in it.

If not he up front then who, Rashford?

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Would be very happy with a draw tbh.

They will have had the last few weeks to get the new managers systems in place but not yet evolved into a real instinctive team with it (hopefully). They have real quality players though so a draw for me would be a good result at OT.

Unless they're as shite as at the Amex a few months ago and we get a win. That would be an excellent result.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Someone get Ten Hag a schmoke and a pancake- he’ll be sitting back watching beautiful football today.

Cristiano- they’ll be no winking from you- your guys are in for one hell of a beating.

MASSIVE GAME. 3-1 Albion, Undav and Trossard on the scoresheet. UTA.

https://youtu.be/_LlPU6KenjU

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Seen us lose at OT 4 or 5 times. Last season’s defeat there appeared to dent us badly (we should’ve won pretty comfortably). Not going today - so at least I’m not the jinx in the crowd.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Good weekend so far with an excellent curry in Rusholme last night. Fully expecting this to be the 90 mins of football that ruins it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here