Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Another 'How far we've come' type reflection.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
After last year's record points total and highest ever finish, a 4-0 stuffing of Man U etc. Cucurella's sale now means that our club has sold the most expensive full back ever! Five years ago Solly gave an interview to The Times and famously said that our opponents in the opening match had two full backs who cost more than our stadium:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...re-than-our-home-but-theres-no-fear-6nbltwtff

Given that Ben White started a few games at RB, if granted a bit of leeway in our descriptions, we could probably argue that we've now sold two full backs for more than it cost to build our stadium.

I know it goes without saying, but the club is in the best hands it has ever been in. Bloom's financial generosity has been more than fans could ever dreamed of, but just as importantly, he is running the club in a way that, if maintained, will guarantee that future generations of Brighton fans will never ever have the worries about survival that a lot of us went through. It's hard to associate what this club is today with what it was at the end of the Goldstone years and throughout the search for a home, but I really get the impression that the foundations of everything good that the club does today is based on lessons learned from what could have been lost. On the pitch, this division will always be a challenge for a 'team like Brighton' and we all know that there will be good seasons and bad going forward. It's good to reflect upon the fact that, whatever the results, the club is here and will continue to here for the people of Sussex to watch football, but also as a vital community resource in as strong a position as it has ever been in its history.

From not knowing whether the club would be there next season, to allowing the people of Sussex to enjoy EPL football and be part of iconic events like the Rugby World Cup and this summer's Women's Euros, it just sometimes catches me how apt 'We've come a long, long way together,' really is.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Until we in the Zenith Data Systems Cup I’m not having it. Palace lording it over us on that front is frankly embarrassing. We’ve got a long way still to go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I posted this on another thread, but it's always worth remembering.

When we sold Mark Lawrenson he became the most expensive defender in the country and the ramshackle Goldstone can't have been worth much more than 1 million. Our biggest ever crowd is at that ground and wasn't even in the top division and we've had big player and manager stories in that era. Clough, Mullery, Robinson, Ritchie, Case, Fashanu as well as playing in a Cup Final when it actually meant something.

Yes, little old Brighton have certainly come a long way if you think that history started between 1992 and 1997 but in many ways we're simply returning to our greatest ever era - and then bettering it (though another Cup Final would be nice please, Graham, and without a corresponding relegation).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I'm not normally a fan of these threads, usually because they couched as "Let's get a bit of perspective". The OP will then go on about Hereford, extinction, Archer etc and moan at people who are upset because we couldn't beat Leeds in the Premier League.

However I appreciate this thread wasn't started on the premise, so yes, the eve of a new season is as good a time as any to look back and think "Wow!". Those of us who did go to the ramshackle Goldstone, travelled to Priestfield, got soaked at Withdean still I think sometimes find it hard to believe how far we've come - I do anyway.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
11 years ago I was stunned when we broke our transfer record to buy Hoskins for half a million - wouldn't cover the cost of a new ballboy these days it seems.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Yeah, I'm not normally a fan of these threads, usually because they couched as "Let's get a bit of perspective". The OP will then go on about Hereford, extinction, Archer etc and moan at people who are upset because we couldn't beat Leeds in the Premier League.

However I appreciate this thread wasn't started on the premise, so yes, the eve of a new season is as good a time as any to look back and think "Wow!". Those of us who did go to the ramshackle Goldstone, travelled to Priestfield, got soaked at Withdean still I think sometimes find it hard to believe how far we've come - I do anyway.

Exactly! I had this feeling when I went to the recent Reading friendly as we totally played them off the park, I thought back to the times when I drove passed the Mad Stad to get to the M4 to go down to Brighton and watch us play at the Withdean in the pissing rain, and the quality of the football a lot of the times was equally as appalling. Reading cherry picking our best players and Manager.

As walked home listening to their fans chatting amongst themselves. They were feeling a little disgruntled how far we had moved away from them and improved when only a few years ago they were competing with us.

We are in a good place and we have to enjoy it, otherwise what is the point.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's amazing how far you can get with just a spare £425,000,000 to your name.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Having not renewed for various non-football reasons, I'm feeling just a bit of melancholy about the start of the season. Its weird to be having the usual start of the season excitement, but coupled with a bit of distance; Creates a bit of nostalgia. You come to realise that there are phases of being a fan of a football club and that when young, most of us are lucky enough to have few responsiblities. At one time for me, it seemed that life was an absolute breeze, and the football club a responsibility. Today, as I'm older, feel lucky to have more responsibilities myself, I've just been feeling a little grateful to those who have helped create the situation where the football club now seems a breeze. I wanted to say how glad I am that its in a position where I have complete confidence that lots and lots of future generations will be able to enjoy it. Although I won't be there as much this season, I've been reflecting upon my luck at being amongst "A bunch of happy fans without a care..." and I felt like raising a glass. A wise man once said that this would happen.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I think the real symbol of change is our global reach. Who would have that even 4 years ago that 47% of all NSC posts would come from Sweden ?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
These posts always feel a bit like a lecture.

Not intended that way. The post was nothing to do with how anybody else feels about the club, the team, signings, sales, missed chances, results, expected goals, chip forks, bottle tops, thermos flasks, clappers or anything else. That's entirely up to each of us individually. I just wanted to take a moment and appreciate that its still here for us all to take equal enjoyment and frustration from, and seems to be being run by people who understand what football clubs do for people and, whatever other mistakes they might make along the way, are being motivated by the responsibilities of stewardship, not just ownership.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Much like our 'friends' up the road, this Albion has only been in existence for a few years (obvs the similarity ends there)

Albion 1.2 is only tangentially connected to Albion 1.1.

'We' haven't come a long way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes, but less so when done before the first ball is kicked in anger rather than during a mid-season slump in form.
I get the drift a multi millionaire has invested in his boyhood club and we should all shut up and be grateful although it doesn’t really work like that does it? It kind of gets the club of the hook in many ways when things go tits up, I mean a few disgruntled boo’s after Leeds and people start questioning what the hell do you expect for your £600 a season Maupay to actually hit the target from a yard out? Well just remember we played at Withdean once you entitled c.unt :lolol:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Has anyone mentioned the Amex atmosphere against Sheffield Wednesday yet, or the one against Burnley, or that one against Sheffield Wednesday, oh and the one against Burnley too

:lolol::shootself

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Much like our 'friends' up the road, this Albion has only been in existence for a few years (obvs the similarity ends there)

Albion 1.2 is only tangentially connected to Albion 1.1.

'We' haven't come a long way.

How's the garden coming along Stat?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
After last year's record points total and highest ever finish, a 4-0 stuffing of Man U etc. Cucurella's sale now means that our club has sold the most expensive full back ever! Five years ago Solly gave an interview to The Times and famously said that our opponents in the opening match had two full backs who cost more than our stadium:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...re-than-our-home-but-theres-no-fear-6nbltwtff

Given that Ben White started a few games at RB, if granted a bit of leeway in our descriptions, we could probably argue that we've now sold two full backs for more than it cost to build our stadium.

I know it goes without saying, but the club is in the best hands it has ever been in. Bloom's financial generosity has been more than fans could ever dreamed of, but just as importantly, he is running the club in a way that, if maintained, will guarantee that future generations of Brighton fans will never ever have the worries about survival that a lot of us went through. It's hard to associate what this club is today with what it was at the end of the Goldstone years and throughout the search for a home, but I really get the impression that the foundations of everything good that the club does today is based on lessons learned from what could have been lost. On the pitch, this division will always be a challenge for a 'team like Brighton' and we all know that there will be good seasons and bad going forward. It's good to reflect upon the fact that, whatever the results, the club is here and will continue to here for the people of Sussex to watch football, but also as a vital community resource in as strong a position as it has ever been in its history.

From not knowing whether the club would be there next season, to allowing the people of Sussex to enjoy EPL football and be part of iconic events like the Rugby World Cup and this summer's Women's Euros, it just sometimes catches me how apt 'We've come a long, long way together,' really is.

A great post...you capture the feeling very well :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was watching The Withdean Years DVDs last week. I sometimes forget just how bad it was as a football "stadium", especially seeing some of the footage of those winter matches in the mud bath.

It's also quite amazing how much success we had at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here