Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] VPN advice please

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
I am not very clued up when it comes to vpn. But I know some of you fine people are.
Therefore I have a couple of questions, if you please.

If I downloaded a vpn (nord maybe)? to my iPhone would I be able to access my sky go abroad to watch the game on Sunday?
Would it let me use betting apps, if I was so inclined?
If I am already abroad (Greece) can I still do it?

Should I just try to stream the game instead as I normally would if I can’t get to the game, does that work in Greece?

Any other (relevant) tips to help me out?:albion2:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I doubt it’ll work. Sky are shit hot at blocking the big VPN providers IP addresses based on my experience.

You may find it could work if you use your mobile data though

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
In theory it should all work fine (I have Nord by the way).

Downloading it should not present any issues, but sometimes broadcasters and the like do work very hard to identify the servers that provide the vpn service. When they ID one they block it, this can lead to a few non connections for a while, but is normally OK after 24 hours or so. Broadcasters with a product that they sell abroad are the most pernickety for obvious reasons. So the BBC and the Prem work particularly hard to block overseas access.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I purchased a 2 year subscription to NordVPN on my laptop in May prior to my trip to Spain. I didn't try Sky but BBC I player worked fine. I understand that the BBC are fairly strict on who has access.

I bought it via Quidco and received £60 cashback this morning. They are offering 60% back today. NordVPN offer a 30 day money back guarantee (as do most other VPNS. I can only comment on Nord as I haven't tried the others).

I was happy with my choice.

Good luck OP

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Used ExpressVPN last season and was fine for Peacock until the last couple of games but changed to a less popular US server and it was fine.

Signed up to Nord this year £46.99 for a year (I’ve already cancelled my auto renewal for the year after at £89.99) works fine across all devices and has plenty of servers in each region

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Using a VPN abroad generally works, but isn’t always 100% reliable. It can be frustrating at times when broadcasters suss out VPN IP addresses and block them. It’s then a case of changing your IP address again.
Some broadcasters apparently use additional measures to identify that a device is in the “wrong” region, such as viewing the time on your device, analysing cookies, browsing history, etc. These measures can be circumvented.

super-seagulls

Soup! Why didn’t I get any Soup?
Feb 1, 2011
Probably working!
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will try A vpn with a week free trial, not sure I’ll need it at home.
If that doesn’t work, I’ll try hesgoal etc.

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
I am not very clued up when it comes to vpn. But I know some of you fine people are.
Therefore I have a couple of questions, if you please.

Find it hard to believe that you won't find loads of bars in any part of Greece that will be showing wall to wall prem league football all of your holiday.

Dodgy feed on a tiny screen or a friendly bar and a pint of ice cold Mythos. I know what my choice would be.
If I downloaded a vpn (nord maybe)? to my iPhone would I be able to access my sky go abroad to watch the game on Sunday?
Would it let me use betting apps, if I was so inclined?
If I am already abroad (Greece) can I still do it?

Should I just try to stream the game instead as I normally would if I can’t get to the game, does that work in Greece?

I can't believe that anywhere in Greece you won't find loads of bars showing wall to wall Premier League games.
Potentially dodgy feed on a tiny screen or a friendly bar and a nice ice cold glass of Mythos. I know which I would choose.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have a free VPN as a firefox plugin, because I only use it for one streaming service that has limited rights for a lot of it's shows in the UK so the US site has more options (apparently the free one I have is one of the better free ones as it offers paid for and that subsidises it, rather then the free-only ones that might have more security issues, according to the article I read when looking at them).

It seems to only have a speed of about 4mb. While this is generally ok for streaming, do the paid for VPN limit speeds as much or would I get a faster connection with a paid for VPN?

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
It seems to only have a speed of about 4mb. While this is generally ok for streaming, do the paid for VPN limit speeds as much or would I get a faster connection with a paid for VPN?

I can only say having been with IPvanish for 5 or years so i have never had that issue. It costs around £30 for the year but unlimited logins across most operating systems. Therefore i use it on PC, Iphone and a firestick using the same account. I also like the fact I can set it to a certain country and therefore buy things like Xbox live half the price if im 'deemed' to be in Brazil !

And dont auto renew just hunt around next year or use a different email address for their new customer sign up

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I will try A vpn with a week free trial, not sure I’ll need it at home.
If that doesn’t work, I’ll try hesgoal etc.

Hesgoal has stopped broadcasting the Premier League.

CEFC7676-B6E0-4B96-91B8-179431ACBAC0.jpeg

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I, and friends here in Spain use UKexpat.vpn guaranteed to be good with BBC, ITV, Amazon Prime, Sky News, Channel 4 & 5. Used on a Firestick for past 4 years without major problems. If a provider does suddenly block a station with the 'we think you are viewing outside of the UK' notice, you simply disconnect the VPN and reconnect after waiting 60 seconds. Cost £59 a year.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I believe the key is the type of pants relative to the tightness of the over garment.........................................sorry I misread VPN!:facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here