Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Things you've eaten that have contained bugs.... my pizza tonight

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
FFS Co-op. Just got in, bought a reduced pizza on the way home from a shift. Opened it to find this little weevil-y thing mooching around. Definitely fell out of the sealed plastic pizza packet into the cardboard when I opened it. It's a veggie pizza, yeah it was reduced, but sod it I'm hungry. The co-op is bloody crap for food really though (I even paid for this rather than accept their help-yourself-we-never-approach-shoplifters Offer).

Have you ever refused to stop eating something just because it had a foreign body (dead or alive) in it? I ate a few maggots in India once by accident as I definitely had worms when I got home from backpacking, although I didn't see them at the time (stupidly ate some meat curries).

20220804_210631.jpg

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Make your own.

I make a batch of pizza dough that makes three big pizzas and you just put that into the fridge. It gets better over three or four days.

You can then "knock one out" (sorry) in ten minutes and it's nicer than crap from the co-op.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
As a kid I lived in St Giles Close in Shoreham and had a sweet shop called The Chocolate Box nearby in Middle Road.
One day my mum sent me to buy her packet of 20 Guards and allowed me to buy an icecream with the change so I got one of those blocks and a cone.
I got as far as the entrance of the close and noticed something wriggling in my cone and saw a maggot. Being a kid I just pulled it out and continued eating the rest of the ice cream but the memory comes back to me now and again and makes me cringe.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've eaten actual bugs, deep fried, in Asia. They were lovely. I also drank snake bile to win a bet with a Palace fan, but that's another story.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I have eaten fried squirrel, fried gator, bear, venison, and pig brains,etc.

Sure a bug has been in one thing or another.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Fried gator, sea slug, sheeps eyeball, tried them all.

Drew the line at putrefying chicks ( chicken) marinated for a week in chillie. Philippines.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

You can get venison in most supermarkets here and certainly in any good restaurant in winter. It's good but not considered exotic here. Had pig everything, including brains, in Asia again. It's the ultimate nose to tail and inside to out animal where eating is concerned. Needs to be fresh though.

How was the bear? I'm thinking tough unless flash fried?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Things that contained bugs, as in unintentional protein of foreign origin, rather than something wriggly on the menu?

No.

Well, not knowingly.

The bug that had me in A&E a few weeks ago, different story.

Would I eat a Pizza with an insect in it? Yes. As long as it was one insect, that I could discard said insect, there were no obvious 'droppings', and the smell was OK. And I was hungry and had nothing else to hand.

Separately, if offered a deep fried Tory ringpiece, sweet chilli sauce, and a soupçon of anusol, I'd be in, balls deep :drool:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Get over it. 58 million coming out the same factory, one or two are going to be less than perfect. Never understand people scweaming about minor food matters like a hair in something. It’s almost as if people are pre conditioned to demand free food and make a fuss…

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Probably on the wrong shelf…pizzas with bugs cost more..you got lucky on the reduction…but perhaps report back in the morning

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Fried gator, sea slug, sheeps eyeball, tried them all.

Drew the line at putrefying chicks ( chicken) marinated for a week in chillie. Philippines.

I’ve eaten those green boiled egg thingys that contain chicks in them in Asia...was gagging as I swallowed!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lettuce. With caterpillar.

But as the caterpillar has spent its entire life just eating lettuce, it's all the same stuff really, isn't it (possibly with extra protein).

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Back in the 1960s my Grandad cut open a supermarket-bought pork pie - and two maggots fell out. He still ate it! We all expressed revulsion but he said he'd eaten worse in the trenches in WW1.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Before I knew much about the new ales around Inwas given a pint of oatmeal stout in a pub at Peterborough away which contained a full head of oatmeal. Different I thought……… very crunchy…. It was Jim D who in fact confirmed they were weevils…….. new glasses unpacked for the Brighton masses the barmaid said and would I like it exchanged ???

Nah I’m alright

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Yeah, well, we've all been to Denny's!

(That is a joke, I do love a Denny's breakfast. An essential part of the American experience IMO).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here