Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Knee taking to be dramatically reduced

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've posted this in the Bear pit, but suppose more people avoid that area than use it so might not see this. Hopefully this thread is around on the big board long enough for people to see it so they are aware for next season before anyone drags the conversation in this thread to the bear pit like every other knee-taking thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62404611

Premier League captains took the decision after consulting with players.

The gesture will instead be seen before certain rounds of games, including the Boxing Day fixtures and Cup finals.

Players and staff will also take the knee before the first and last matches of the 2022-23 campaign.

Captains and players are said to believe that 'less is more' - hoping when the knee is taken it will have greater impact.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I'll be honest, it's never bothered me. It's 3 secs straight before kick off for a good cause.

If doing this increases the impact, cool.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just so long as their decision doesn't interfere with advert for The Premier League we play the moment the pre-match atmosphere is at its peak, I'm a happy customer.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I suppose it might be for the best, given some of the older players are developing knee injuries, resulting in pressure on the NHS for waiting time for knee replacement ops :shrug:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
About time too. A case of over-the-top meaningless virtue signalling that achieved absolutely diddly squat.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
You do wonder if it did any good at all other than rile the racist rednecks in Europe. If the captains are happy to drop the symbol it’s ok with me so long as they are doing whatever they can to influence those who look up to them to be better citizens.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
You do wonder if it did any good at all other than rile the racist rednecks in Europe. If the captains are happy to drop the symbol it’s ok with me so long as they are doing whatever they can to influence those who look up to them to be better citizens.

Nothing at all wrong with riling racist rednecks. In fact, I think it should be encouraged.

It was the players decision to take the knee. It is the players decision to stop. Fine by me.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
OK, they've discussed it, and this is what they've decided. Fine - no need for any more discussion really.

This from someone who frequents the Cucurella thread that contains more pointless posts saying nothing or repeating the same old discussion ad finitum than any other in the history of NSC!

:lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
They’d painted themselves in to a bit of a corner with taking the knee.

I think it’s silly to say it was pointless though. It got the entire world talking.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This from someone who frequents the Cucurella thread that contains more pointless posts saying nothing or repeating the same old discussion ad finitum than any other in the history of NSC!

You've rather missed the point. Further discussion on the Cucurella thread is unlikely to end with some utter plum saying something that consigns it the bear pit. Further discussion on here, however, has a whole lot of such potential. So, no need for it. Simples.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I always preferred the players standing tall linking arms round the centre circle,shows strength and togetherness better than kneeling imho.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think it's disappointing that their reducing it. The issue hasn't gone away, so why is it no longer important enough to carry on with? Has their attention span worn off?

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
If that's what they want to do fair enough, doesn't affect me one way or the other. If it does really piss you or bother you, than you got some issues you need to work on.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I think it's disappointing that their reducing it. The issue hasn't gone away, so why is it no longer important enough to carry on with? Has their attention span worn off?

Or perhaps the gesture itself has started to lose momentum. I have to admit personally that I found it quite a powerful statement in the early days of its usage, but in the latter stages of last season it barely registered with me that they were still doing it.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
About time too. A case of over-the-top meaningless virtue signalling that achieved absolutely diddly squat.

I don’t know about it achieving nothing, it kept the subject in the top half of the news for a good few weeks. It upset a lot of racists, no bad thing, and showed how thick some of said racists are, when the booing, etc just made it more newsworthy.

It also stopped my racist, armchair Liverpool fan brother in law, enjoying their Premier League champions season as he refused to watch football after players started taking the knee.

Oh, it did make me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here