Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Will GP feel a bit miffed?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
As a club, our current business model is to find young players, develop them further and help run the club with the profits this can generate. I get it. GP gets it. We all get it. But…….

Making a decent return on a number of young players of say Championship quality is the ideal perhaps? Having Bissouma in the team for three years and then making the best return we could makes sense. Ben White, although annoying not to really break into the first team long term, has never really been missed, and has helped the finance an awful lot.

Cucurella’s move, if it happens, great numbers on the bottom line. Buy for 15, sell for 50 plus just a year later is great mark up no matter what the currency. But personally I feel a bit let down. Players POTS, Fans. POTS, only signed a FIVE year contract less than 12 months ago and this may leave me with a feeling of ‘what if’, or ‘just one more season’ etc etc. Players agents have a lot to answer for but they do not have the final choice, the player himself does not have the final choice, in this situation it is down to the club. I realise that players can sulk, but not for four long years as they watch their career slip down the drain. A long chat and a decent pay rise with the promise to accomodate the players dreams more easily in just 12 months time would soon overcome this issue in my view.

Or at least it would had the player not actually requested a transfer at all, or seemingly be happy not to just chase trophies and work with the best, but at the drop of a hat want to leave for another of the big boys. MC has lost a little respect from me if true, not that it will trouble him too much!

But what of Mr Potter? He knows the score, but in his shoes I would be annoyed that we do appear to have rolled over quite easily. Maybe if City had offered the £50mill plus and the player really wanted to play for Pep it would be understandable. But that has not occurred. Instead a club that like others just buys success, but without any semblance of flair or panache, are now in the driving seat, and MC is rumoured to still want away and our club seemingly are doing nothing to dissuade him. If that is the case then I think we could be jeopardising the loyalty of GP.

He wants to progress, he enjoys improving players, and perhaps could have done even more with MC. In his shoes, although mindful of the modus operandi, I would have been really hoping to keep Cuc for just one more year. With any luck combining with our new, more attack minded midfield and young enthusiastic prospect up front. Perhaps even start to hope to chase a cup run, or Euro place? That is not too say it cannot happen now, but it may be a bit harder with another new face to gel.

Just maybe it could be enough to make him begin to look for greener pastures if he feels that he can never rely on his best assets to be around the following season. If we’re were to lose Biss, Cuc and Maupay in one close season it would seem a bit of a statement perhaps? Who knows, if we got a good season out of Undav maybe he would be sold off immediately too?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As a club, our current business model is to find young players, develop them further and help run the club with the profits this can generate. I get it. GP gets it. We all get it. But…….

Making a decent return on a number of young players of say Championship quality is the ideal perhaps? Having Bissouma in the team for three years and then making the best return we could makes sense. Ben White, although annoying not to really break into the first team long term, has never really been missed, and has helped the finance an awful lot.

Cucurella’s move, if it happens, great numbers on the bottom line. Buy for 15, sell for 50 plus just a year later is great mark up no matter what the currency. But personally I feel a bit let down. Players POTS, Fans. POTS, only signed a FIVE year contract less than 12 months ago and this may leave me with a feeling of ‘what if’, or ‘just one more season’ etc etc. Players agents have a lot to answer for but they do not have the final choice, the player himself does not have the final choice, in this situation it is down to the club. I realise that players can sulk, but not for four long years as they watch their career slip down the drain. A long chat and a decent pay rise with the promise to accomodate the players dreams more easily in just 12 months time would soon overcome this issue in my view.

Or at least it would had the player not actually requested a transfer at all, or seemingly be happy not to just chase trophies and work with the best, but at the drop of a hat want to leave for another of the big boys. MC has lost a little respect from me if true, not that it will trouble him too much!

But what of Mr Potter? He knows the score, but in his shoes I would be annoyed that we do appear to have rolled over quite easily. Maybe if City had offered the £50mill plus and the player really wanted to play for Pep it would be understandable. But that has not occurred. Instead a club that like others just buys success, but without any semblance of flair or panache, are now in the driving seat, and MC is rumoured to still want away and our club seemingly are doing nothing to dissuade him. If that is the case then I think we could be jeopardising the loyalty of GP.

He wants to progress, he enjoys improving players, and perhaps could have done even more with MC. In his shoes, although mindful of the modus operandi, I would have been really hoping to keep Cuc for just one more year. With any luck combining with our new, more attack minded midfield and young enthusiastic prospect up front. Perhaps even start to hope to chase a cup run, or Euro place? That is not too say it cannot happen now, but it may be a bit harder with another new face to gel.

Just maybe it could be enough to make him begin to look for greener pastures if he feels that he can never rely on his best assets to be around the following season. If we’re were to lose Biss, Cuc and Maupay in one close season it would seem a bit of a statement perhaps? Who knows, if we got a good season out of Undav maybe he would be sold off immediately too?

I would we are far from rolling over.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
He seems pretty level headed to me and realistic. I suspect he thinks £50 million+ is actually a pretty good deal for the club but is mostly totally focussed on Manchester United.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

I would assume that GP wasn't daft enough when he took the job to not understand the brief that the idea of the club is to develop young players and to make the club sustainable financially. That means selling players that improve at a decent profit. The alternative is to do it the Derby or #Tw@ts way - something none of us want I'm sure. So no, I doubt GP is a bit miffed - he knew what he was getting into.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Expect he'll be excited to work with more young players coming in. He is pragmatic enough to understand when we receive a significant offer for a player it is a business decision which needs to be looked at.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think the club have made it clear that we don’t want to sell Cucurella …we’ve put an oft criticised price on him …player has handed in a transfer request …hmm and you think the club are getting it wrong …I think GP would think otherwise

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
not sure how the club is rolling over on this. also where do you get the idea the club have done nothing to persuade him to stay. By many accounts there is a new contract on offer, we havent just accepted the first bid, or the second from City, we appear to have told Chelsea that their 50 Million wasnt enough. Not sure what else the club can do

Rolling over would have been letting him go for 30 million, not offered a new deal, or even accepting the 40 million from City

Not rolling over to me at least , looks like telling City to go away and come back with an offer over 50 Million, or dont bother calling, telling Chelsea there 50 Million wasnt enough.

To expect the club simply refuse to sell is a non starter. We simply arent in that position, and the stated practice is to get young talent, develop, and sell at the right price to bigger clubs IF thats what the player wants.

We simply can not compete with clubs offering Trophies, Champions League football etc and once a top six has come in its just a matter of how much

We also have to factor in how many league places higher up the table do we need to be to get the same amount, and how many places do we need to lose that amount. Realistically relegation would cost that 100 million , but I cant see Cucurella going in itself will cause us to lose that many games, and to get 100 million plus, would mean us finishing top four - I dont think either are realistic and so selling for the right price, however unpalatable that is, is the only realistic path

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sadly it's the same for many clubs of our size and stature. Southampton have regualrly in fairness made some astute signings and then seen them move on fairly quickly but it's just how things are today. The bigger clubs want instant success and are prepared to pay for it by and large (obviously there are exceptions like Foden etc) by feeding from the top table.

As we know the Prem is just a money league and the biggest wallets will 9 times out of 10 manage to buy the title or a cup.

From where we have come from in just over 20 years I'm happy to see us now not only competing in the best division in Europe but am still happy with our approach of trying to find young talent at value and develop them so the club can remain sustainable. For the Zeqiri's and Andone's that don't work out there are always the Cucu's, Bissouma's and Caicedo's of the world who balance things up.

As much as I'd love to see us win a cup or heaven forbid the Premier League, I personally get more joy from our 9 or 10 wins a season than probably most Liverpool or Citeh fans get from winning practically every game. And unless realistically a real money magnate took over the club we will never compete on an equitable level with the big six or seven.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Mr Potter is well aware 99% of clubs are selling clubs, there are probably only about 5-10 clubs in the world that do not have to work with the knowledge that their best players will be poached by one of those clubs. It is what it is, and Mr Potter seems to thrive on being the underdog, I get the impression that he gets a great deal of satisfaction bringing young players through the ranks and helping them with their progression in the game. I think he is not or would not be disappointed with the transfers that have happened this close season, he would have been well aware this is our model and have to work within it. I also suspect he may well be disappointed with Cucurella's handling of the whole affair, but I think he would also understand the dream of playing in the Champions and nearly champions league.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would be annoyed that we do appear to have rolled over quite easily.

Forcing one of the wealthiest clubs in the world to walk away from a deal because of the price we put on his head is not rolling over easily. It's anything but.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No one has rolled over because nothing has been agreed

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I've not come across a single manager yet who doesn't want as many good players as possible to get them wins and get them up the league.

Yes, GP is a pragmatic guy and had his eyes open when he came here, but i'm sure he sees the balance sheet as something for someone else to deal with and what he wants are the players to get his team up the league, which means that he'd have liked to have kept at least one of his best two players. He's far too classy to go and say so in public however

theboybilly

It's so obvious that MC wants to move to a big club for the chance of winning trophies but let's not forget everything else that goes with it - the financial security of trebling or quadrupling his wages, image rights (that hair will see him alongside Grealish) and more exposure to finally get him his dream move to the Camp Neu. He would have a very decent career at the Albion but he has to take his chance of furthering himself, he owes it to himself and to his family. He goes with my best wishes and thanks for a season of great performances. I wish him well. But I'm so sad at the same time

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We certainly have done anything but 'rolled over'.

If I was GP I'd love the fact that:

1. Each season we've got an increasingly large pot of money to invest in more talent
2. We're seeing plenty of very very exciting players coming into the Albion ranks, some for now and some for the future
3. He's got some serious talent to work with this season, despite the departure of Cucu & Bissouma
4. He has the complete backing of the Chairman & CEO
5. We're progressing nicely
6. The 'model' is working

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Far better to be known and respected by all as a developer of prospective talent than just a buyer of developed talent.

The former will make clubs money, the latter will only spend it.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Can't imagine he is happy. From a position of looking to further push on we've sold our best 2 players. That's not going to please any manager who is ultimately largely judged on results .

As someone said yesterday , the further up the food chain you are the less this should happen. Same with GP as a manager. He will aspire to be in a club that can cherry pick who they want , when they want.

Can he take us further with our transfer policy ..... possibly but we must be right on our upper limits based on last season.

The challenge for him is keep us treading water / going forward but its hard for him with our best 2 gone. I wouldnt blame him for a new challenge tbh , someone like Leicester would appeal once rogers is sacked. Still a big ask for him to get a top 5 club.

** MC isnt sold yet**

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Has anyone thought, that last season may just have been one where MC hit his best form and he's worried that he might not be able to replicate it. With this in mind, he's very keen to get his big move now while he's in demand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here