Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Should football clubs travel so far for pre-season?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Brighton's chief operating officer Paul Mullen told BBC Sport that sustainability was "not a major consideration" in their pre-season plans, but added the club was in the "very early stages" of developing a strategy "to be a sustainable business".

Make the amex roof solar and the training ground roof a wild flower garden for some green feels.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given all the premier league teams fly around England for matches, private jets to bring players back from international duty bit of a joke having a ‘sustainability’ officer.

Struggle to see what else the club does to improve sustainability

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62280394

Shameful really - At least Brighton are near the bottom of the list but I'm not terribly convinced by your COO's response.

You mean our CO[SUB]2[/SUB] :thumbsup::rave::clap::banana::O:D:lol::lolol::rock:

Ahem.

Seemed pretty honest and realistic to me. Openly admits we didn't consider it this time, but we're developing policies. But also shows an awareness that the premiere league is a global brand and that means global travel, so there's only so much action we can take, but efforts are there.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Given all the premier league teams fly around England for matches, private jets to bring players back from international duty bit of a joke having a ‘sustainability’ officer.

I bet you a tenner the words "we've planted some trees" will be in there somewhere! The UK is nowhere near big enough to justify all the internal flights although you could except Brighton/Southampton to Newcastle and such like. Liverpool flew to the cup final via Luton, it probably saved them minutes, no more. Then you have Arsenal driving to Luton to fly to Norwich, it's pathetic.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You mean our CO[SUB]2[/SUB] :thumbsup::rave::clap::banana::O:D:lol::lolol::rock:

Ahem.

Seemed pretty honest and realistic to me. Openly admits we didn't consider it this time, but we're developing policies. But also shows an awareness that the premiere league is a global brand and that means global travel, so there's only so much action we can take, but efforts are there.

Surely clubs should be considering it though, not in the future?!? I don't believe that being a 'global brand' requires team to travel globally for pre season.

This particular nugget was what I found unconvincing though - "We realise it's a collective responsibility. The Premier League is developing its own sustainability strategy and I suspect from that will come a strategy whereby clubs entering the Premier League have certain minimum commitments that they have to adhere as part of that obligation"

I'll be impressed when there is a club that does show leadership and say enough is enough.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset

Ahem.

Is that palace`s new team?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It should absolutely be banned as should flying around the UK.

But there's money in it so it won't be

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

Not really as it's possible to still limit the impact of the travel whilst also keeping operations at the club flowing.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
You're an island... don't you have boats over there? What would a boat trip from Brighton to Liverpool cost?

At a very rough estimate if the team were to go by canal boat on inland waterways it would take around 36 hours. It's a tricky route because the Brighton area and the Liverpool area are on different canal networks that don't join anywhere, meaning some complex navigation either by sea at some point, or carrying the boat across land to find an appropriate river to join which might be great for team building but less good for being in peak physical condition to face Salah. Canoeing may be possible with fewer logistical challenges, though I'd probably allow 4 or 5 days for that, and it also might not be the optimal preparation for a premier league game.

I remember reading once though that Tesco (I think) uses canals still to transport some goods between depots in Liverpool and Manchester because it's so much quicker than road.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
At a very rough estimate if the team were to go by canal boat on inland waterways it would take around 36 hours. It's a tricky route because the Brighton area and the Liverpool area are on different canal networks that don't join anywhere, meaning some complex navigation either by sea at some point, or carrying the boat across land to find an appropriate river to join which might be great for team building but less good for being in peak physical condition to face Salah. Canoeing may be possible with fewer logistical challenges, though I'd probably allow 4 or 5 days for that, and it also might not be the optimal preparation for a premier league game.

I remember reading once though that Tesco (I think) uses canals still to transport some goods between depots in Liverpool and Manchester because it's so much quicker than road.

Ok so the boys need a boat with a training pitch. 36 hours at sea is also great team building.

Tony, make it happen.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011

My route planner has it (from Brentford) to Liverpool as being 288 miles, and will take 143 hours. This will take just over 20 days, if boating for an average of 7 hours per day. This includes working 184 locks. :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It should absolutely be banned as should flying around the UK.

But there's money in it so it won't be

This. There’s absolutely no justification for flying around a country where you can reach almost any major population centre from another by train in an afternoon.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here