Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] Property Purchase

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
I am in the process of buying a very dated 2 bedroom bungalow. The survey has highlighted a number of areas that need to be addressed quickly. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who could give me rough figures for getting the following work done. I appreciate it's difficult without seeing the property:

A complete re-wire;
A new boiler, radiators and piping;
The cavity walls to the north and south being emptied, as insulation has been wrongly installed;
A new, absorbent driveway, approximately 3m x 5m (the water currently has nowhere to drain as there is block paving and the driveway slopes towards the garage;
Artexing removed from all ceilings due to the risk of asbestos;
Two low-level boundary walls to be removed and replaced.

I know surveys pull up all sorts of things, but any rough prices or advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
5 minute job

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am in the process of buying a very dated 2 bedroom bungalow. The survey has highlighted a number of areas that need to be addressed quickly. I would really appreciate hearing from anybody who could give me rough figures for getting the following work done. I appreciate it's difficult without seeing the property:

A complete re-wire;
The cavity walls to the north and south being emptied, as insulation has been wrongly installed;
A new, absorbent driveway, approximately 3m x 5m (the water currently has nowhere to drain as there is block paving and the driveway slopes towards the garage;

I know surveys pull up all sorts of things, but any rough prices or advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First off, has the Artex been tested? You can literally get a self test kit off Amazon, take a tiny sample and send it off. You could eliminate that being a risk with a £30 kit.

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
First off, has the Artex been tested? You can literally get a self test kit off Amazon, take a tiny sample and send it off. You could eliminate that being a risk with a £30 kit.
Thank you. I'll look into that.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

A complete re-wire;

In my experience apart from if structural issues surveys waste of money. Obvious what needs doing so take a builder along.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

:shrug:

You're looking at problems when you should be thinking of opportunities.

Dig a pit in the garage - free indoor pool.

Use that earth to fill up your walls - free insulation.

Ten minutes, tops.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Out of interest, is the cavity wall insulation actually causing a problem? That's usually quite pricey to fix.

I always think these surveys need to be taken with a pinch of salt, they tend to assume the absolute worst case scenario and propose the most expensive solution. If you've got the spare money and inclination to do everything they say then great, but IMHO some of the things they put as urgent are actually just luxury purchases. It's like the driveway, it's probably been like that for years without anyone being worried about it, is actually having a knock on effect anywhere else or does it just cause the occasional puddle? Could it be solved by installing a channel drain rather than a whole new driveway?

When I sold my last house our buyers' survey said it had a damp problem and needed a chemical DPC. In 5 years of living there I never had a problem with damp anywhere other than a disused chimney breast because I hadn't noticed the cowell had come off, easy fix and not the £4k they were quoted for a chemical DPC (which they tried to knock off the sale price!)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"absorbant" driveways just take the water off the surface dont they? still need drainage to take the water away, so look to put that in to prevent water in the garage.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
:shrug:

You're looking at problems when you should be thinking of opportunities.

Dig a pit in the garage - free indoor pool.

Use that earth to fill up your walls - free insulation.

Ten minutes, tops.

Neither funny or useful for the original poster. Slow day?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can't speak for all of it, but when we bought our house we had to have the Artex removed and it cost us £6k - that was nearly 20 years ago, so assume about £9 or £10k now (we did get the cost of the house reduced by £6k as a result of the survey)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A complete re-wire;

You state it's dated so therefore most of those issues can't be a surprise. Does the value reflect the fact updating is required.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
You state it's dated so therefore most of those issues can't be a surprise. Does the value reflect the fact updating is required.

This was going to be my exact point too. Presumably the sellers would have been aware of the issues too, so may well have either priced the property appropriately or be expecting you to come back to knock some money off.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

A complete re-wire;

Who’s been living there before you, Frank Spencer?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Boiler shouldn't cost you more than a grand to have fitted. Probably the same for the radiators and piping depending on the flooring - floorboards easy - tiles / laminate hard.

Re the drive drainage. I have two spare drainage pipes with grills on top that you could put at the bottom of the slope - you can have them for free assuming you're in the Sussex area.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"absorbant" driveways just take the water off the surface dont they? still need drainage to take the water away, so look to put that in to prevent water in the garage.

I think he probably means 'permeable' so you wouldn't need to take water away, it can just soak into the ground as normal.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Get the artex tested. If asbestos is present I'd walk away as removal costs can be huge and you wont be able to sell it on until its clear. Then get a builder to quote for the drive and insulation. They should also be able to ball park cost the wiring and central heating although athey arent usually 'urgent' but desirable in the near future.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
I have no idea on cots but I agree surveyors will give you worst case including stuff that can wait years to be done. If you are having radiators and piping completely redone it might be worth looking at a heat pump to replace boiler?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here