Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Look what you did

cirC

Jul 26, 2004
Tupnorth
This is for info and it is very graphic.

This is a video of a major crash on the A1M last year. People died and all because a lorry driver was using his mobile phone. The lorry driver appeared in court and was given a long prison sentence. Sadly that will not bring back the dead or erase from the minds of those there the carnage they witnessed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UztJcUjGXbY

Using phones is dangerous!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

This is a video of a major crash on the A1M last year. People died and all because a lorry driver was using his mobile phone. The lorry driver appeared in court and was given a long prison sentence. Sadly that will not bring back the dead or erase from the minds of those there the carnage they witnessed.

Yes. Most of us know that. Long sentence for a pr@t that thought he knew better is fine.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Sadly way too many people still don't get it. Only yesterday on a short drive in eastbourne is witnessed 5 drivers texting away. That tell tale look up look down movement grinds my gears

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Alternatively you could plough into the front of a school, injuring 11 and traumatizing many more.

https://www.wandsworthguardian.co.u...-mum-fined-careless-driving-11-injured-crash/

The judge said a fine “may seem inadequate to those who are suffering” as he ordered Rincon-Aguilar, of Wandsworth, to pay a £3,000 fine and £930 costs, and have six penalty points added to her licence.

I guess if your name is Dolly Hyphen you can drive away from court and carry on with your day.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Powerful film. Everyone take 20 mins to watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I just saw it this morning. Horrific. Shocking.

Must have become a normal thing to do, cruising an app while flying up the M1 and just didn't register the consequences. He'll have to live with his actions. He knew what he'd done straight away but his interview while in prison really shows how these accidents happen to anyone.

I was pushed off the motorway by a lorry once. They pulled level with me, indicated and just started to come in to my lane. My horn was futile and I didn't have the engine to nip in front in time. Luckily it was during the smart motorway expansion and I could slam the brakes on and just take out a load of cones but I didn't get the details - never stopped. Point is these drivers, for one reason or another, seem to be oblivious to other motorists.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just saw it this morning. Horrific. Shocking.

Must have become a normal thing to do, cruising an app while flying up the M1 and just didn't register the consequences. He'll have to live with his actions. He knew what he'd done straight away but his interview while in prison really shows how these accidents happen to anyone.

I was pushed off the motorway by a lorry once. They pulled level with me, indicated and just started to come in to my lane. My horn was futile and I didn't have the engine to nip in front in time. Luckily it was during the smart motorway expansion and I could slam the brakes on and just take out a load of cones but I didn't get the details - never stopped. Point is these drivers, for one reason or another, seem to be oblivious to other motorists.
You either need to remove 'these' completely or change it for 'us'.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
It is a fact that you get punished according to the consequences of your actions on the road , not what you do .
As shown by the Wandsworth case in the link , careless driving? A fine . But if someone dies because of your careless driving, then it is prison for you.
No excuse for using a phone at the wheel though. NB, I am often surprised at American tv programs that show people doing this regularly…… have they no sense?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Err why? Plenty of drivers out there aware of other motorists- I like to think I am at least :shrug:

Because the worst can happen to any of us, and we don't use our cars in a manner that says 'next time it could be me'.

Everything GD wrote at the start is 100% correct, but I don't know sub consciously, absentmindedly, morning headedly,, in one word blamed others maybe because they believe they are above such things as they are aware of other motorists (road users).

The point being we aren't - nobody is, and the more our vehicles are cocooned from the outside world the harder it gets.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Err why? Plenty of drivers out there aware of other motorists- I like to think I am at least :shrug:

Because the worst can happen to any of us, and we don't use our cars in a manner that says 'next time it could be me'.

Everything GD wrote at the start is 100% correct, but I don't know sub consciously, absentmindedly, morning headedly,, in one word blamed others maybe because they believe they are above such things as they are aware of other motorists (road users).

The point being we aren't - nobody is, and the more our vehicles are cocooned from the outside world the harder it gets.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I agree that a moment's lapse in concentration in a car can happen to anybody with horrendous consequences.

However, there is a huge difference in doing all you can to minimise that possibility and stupid ****s doing things which make it incredibly likely to happen as demonstrated here (and sadly so often) ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I agree that a moment's lapse in concentration in a car can happen to anybody with horrendous consequences.

However, there is a huge difference in doing all you can to minimise that possibility and stupid ****s doing things which make it incredibly likely to happen as demonstrated here (and sadly so often) ???

Absolutely obviously there are a large amount of factors at play.
I'm far less likely to crash in my car v a delivery driver just by the difference in time spent on the road.

But that doesn't stop any crash I have being fatal.

Do I, does any of us, drive in a manner that suggests I could easily kill someone - no.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My car was written off on the Liverpool end of the M62 three years ago by a Jaguar F Pace that ploughed into the back of a mile long queue of stationary traffic. I have no idea how the driver didn't see the queue and didn't or couldn't stop or slow down - everybody else managed to.

Fortunately nobody was killed or serious injured, but he damaged or wrote off at least five cars, and one woman had to be cut out of her car by the fire brigade.

All I remember is seeing a glimpse of a big black shape in the wing mirror coming straight at me very fast........ then "Bang !!!!!!!!!!"

He hit mine with only a glancing blow fortunately, and probably the hand brake being on stopped my car from riccocheting into anyone else.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

An absolutely terrible thing to happen l wholeheartedly agree, and yes everyone should take the time to watch this video clip, but other than hand out a lengthy prison sentence and ban the accused from driving, there isn't a lot else that a court can do.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Dreadful, I have seen drivers many times, heads down texting or playing games etc. I don't think you can educate some, technology should stop it. Switch your phone off leave it in the back seat. Hands free isn't enough.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Going to away games in the coach puts you at a level with lorry driver’s cabs. I’ve seen them reading a newspaper spread across the steering wheel, likewise maps, whilst on a motorway.
I wish speed cameras would also take pics of the drivers so proof can be taken to court. There must be a way technology can be used. It is reckless driving.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Very true. Unfortunately close family experienced a similar car accident trauma a few years ago. Not fatal, but life changing and has had a massive impact on all of us. The culprit (age 20 and uninsured) was given a 2 year sentence and that gave us some limited feeling of justice. There needs to be a technological solution to deactivate phones in cars because you can’t rely on individuals to act sensibly.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Very true. Unfortunately close family experienced a similar car accident trauma a few years ago. Not fatal, but life changing and has had a massive impact on all of us. The culprit (age 20 and uninsured) was given a 2 year sentence and that gave us some limited feeling of justice. There needs to be a technological solution to deactivate phones in cars because you can’t rely on individuals to act sensibly.

We all know it's technically possible but no Government wants to do it.

FFS nobody is that important that they need that phone call/text :facepalm:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here