Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Libraries-How long will they last?

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I am a teacher by trade and love my job, but also do a lot of volunteering at local libraries and was an assistant supervisor at one before I landed a good teaching job.

Anyway, a couple of other volunteers and I and the paid staff last week when I went there, started discussing the future of libraries as a whole and will they ever become obsolete or not?

A lot of arguments were thrown around that with how big e-books are becoming(Kindle, Nook) etc and how easy it is to find things on the Internet now(Google,Bing,etc) that people will not have a use for libraries in say 10 years, perhaps even shorter. Or certain states and counties will just shut a lot down to save on the budget(A local county to us shut down a couple branches that's how this discussion got started).

My argument against that was that yes the Internet and Ebooks have really hampered library patronage, but a lot of people still need the library to get expert help from the librarians themselves, workshops such as computer and career help, children's storytime, etc, printing, faxing, and similar as a lot of people cannot do that at home, people cannot afford ebook devices especially if they read a lot, etc etc.

Overall it is tough for me as someone who loves to volunteer in them and am a big advocate for them, to even contemplate the idea that they might become obsolete down the road.

What do ya'll think? Do you think that will eventually happen? How often do you utilize the library yourself? Just curious.

Thank you:cheers:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I go to the library about once a fortnight. They're still well used, every time I go to my local one, there are people in there.

When the kids were young, we were in there every week finding books for their bedtime stories.

They still have a use, even in these web-dominated days, one thing that you can't get online are free versions of recent books. Until that happens (and for authors' sakes, I hope it doesn't), there'll be a reason for libraries.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I used to use the local town library regularly but a free bookstore has opened nearby and I get free books, mostly take back for reuse, some I keep. I have about twenty in line to be read. However, if I am looking for something specific I will see if the library has it. I have one on hold at the moment. Never very busy most smaller one's have very limited opening times or have closed.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I haven't been to a library since my kids were using them. I'm anticipating doing it more with grandkids.

However, my memory of them - a decade back - is that they need to keep diversifying and building relationships with the local communities. That means changing their hours to fit with the community; becoming more welcoming and accessible (and getting rid of the "shush!' image). It means being places where local MPs and councillors hold surgeries; being attached to art centres, youth clubs and music venues. They should be centres for learning, where local businesses send people to complete training courses. They should have areas where Citizens Advice can have a base and share access to knowledge.

What doesn't help is the word 'library'. That alone conjures up too many misconceptions of what they should be. The new library should be the community's educational hub. Of course, all that - even if it was the right thing to do - would need leadership from government and money. But, arguably, if we are to grow our economy and improve the lot of UK citizens, then we need to grow our skills, and that's where libraries should and can play their part.

Just my view. And they may already have changed to that, but if they have, then I'm not aware and others may not be aware either.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
There was similar fear about the future of the physical book when ebooks hit the scene but whilst the initial uptake was rapid they levelled out around 20% of all book sales some years ago and there has been some signs that physical book usage will win a bit of that share back. This was linked to a fear we would lose bookshops and whilst we have to a degree that was more from the pricing and power of Amazon operating in the market (Amazon often sold books with free delivery online for less that independents could buy with trade discounts). There is also the generational challenge that the time spent reading has been eaten into by other media through phones like gaming and on demand video.

However whilst it has its challenges in the future I think the physical book has a magic that as humans we treasure dearly and things like reading to children will never be the same on a tablet. Libraries will change like all things but I still visit and take my daughter who loves a trip there picking out books to take home.

Like all things its use it or lose it but I remain optimistic they will still be around and important for a long time yet

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was in Portslade library at the bottom of Foredown drive several times a week from age 8 to 11 in the 1960s. I absolutely loved it. The smell, the quiet and the books.

Last time I set foot in a library was probably 45 years ago when I was about 19.

I used to have a strong emotional attachment to the idea of libraries but I really don't think I have a dog in this fight anymore as I get my reading fix by other means. An issue for others to determine.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I was in Hove Library yesterday. Wonderful place. Fabulous community resource with a lovely community cafe. They are running a summer reading challenge for kids.

I'm sure there are some local politicians looking at the costs of running it, and thinking they need to make it as shit as possible so nobody then kicks up a stink when they later close it

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
My local libraries underwent a substantial refurbishment several years ago now. More interesting spaces, nice design, confortable seating, self booking out and in, computers, the internet. Just not room for many books.

Books 'in store' or in other libraries in the county could be ordered - but all too often they had disappeared/been lost and weren't forthcoming. I don't use the library any more.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Hopefully the great libraries like the British Library and the New York Public Library will always endure

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
As a teenager I would borrow vinyl records from the record library, take them home and make tape copies. We would make our own covers and sell these on at school. Mainly indie stuff. Highly illegal but made a fair bit from it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
When I heard there was a possibility my local library would close I started using it more, a lot more. Now read about 20 library books a year and love it. If anyone values libraries they should use them as the numbers of visitors is what will keep them open.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've just left my job at the prison library.

It had its prose and cons.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
This winter I shall be making full use of the warm, centrally heated facilities provided by our local source of knowledge.

They DO allow flasks and packed lunches?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I use mine all the time. If someone recommends a book, or I read an interesting review I use the library app to reserve the book. At some point I’ll get an email to tell me it’s in. Wander down and pick it up. I think they’ve started charging again for fiction books (about 50p I think). There is usually a hardback option that makes reading it a pleasure. Nice big print. If no one else reserves it you can extend the loan online.

There’s also an audio book app (Libby) that has a (limited) range of books. And also online newspapers and magazines are available. I’ve not used this option.

I can’t recommend the app and library services highly enough. I have three books out at the moment, and two on order. It’s not often I browse the shelves these days. This is West Sussex btw, but I suspect all ares offer the same/similar.

Why don’t I buy the books? I don’t want them. Books are clutter.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Libraries are such a no-brainer, it saves you a fortune, who needs to own books like novels or biographies etc., just read and pass on, and should you ever need to read one again you can loan it again. You also have a deadline to return it, which encourages you to crack on. On a packed commuter train last week there were three of us stood next to each other reading physical books, it was almost like being transported back to commuting in the 1970s or 80s before everyone turned into phone lemmings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here